No announcement yet.

Dallas cap situation doesn't look so hot either

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope a long , slow cap death is in store for them. Wait till everyone on that line comes due for a payday, I hope we have the cash for them
    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
      He'll be back. I don't get why they didn't let him play in the playoffs though. That was strange.
      He just got another year suspension that was handed out at the end of the season. That's why he wasn't eligible for the playoffs.
      He's not playing next year.
      Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

Originally posted by rspurr View Post
        He just got another year suspension that was handed out at the end of the season. That's why he wasn't eligible for the playoffs.
        He's not playing next year.
        OK, NOW I get it.
        "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
          OK, NOW I get it.
          Supposedly these have all been for marijuana so if that's true the NFL might drop or shorten the suspension if they change their illegal substance rules.
          Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

Originally posted by rspurr View Post
            Supposedly these have all been for marijuana so if that's true the NFL might drop or shorten the suspension if they change their illegal substance rules.
            I'm sure Jerry has the Governor working on it as we speak.

Comment

Originally posted by Rossovich View Post
              I really hope that article is on the money. 8-8 would be perfect.

I concur.

I want them to wallow in mediocrity. Bad enough to continue sucking but not bad enough to blow the whole thing up. Keep the delusions of grandeur going forever.

Comment

Originally posted by ThoughtProcess View Post
                I concur.

I want them to wallow in mediocrity. Bad enough to continue sucking but not bad enough to blow the whole thing up. Keep the delusions of grandeur going forever.
                I'd just like to see Dak come back to reality. With all apologies to AW, the kid played over his head this year. He'd put up all those great numbers at Mississippi State against bottom dwellers in the SEC but when he went up against Bama, LSU and Auburn he came up small and finish 8-4. I know because the kid cost me quite a bit of dough his last 2 years in college. Put some heat on him and he's a different player.

Comment

Dallas cannot afford to keep Romo at this point. If they keep him on the roster, they also have to pay his $14 million salary, along with the cap hit for the proration (another 10+ million, total cap number 24 million). If they cut or trade him now, they have 19.6 proration to account for, which will accelerate to the cap, so just a $5 million savings for cutting him. But -- as stevemc mentioned -- they can make him a June 1 cut, which would split that 19.6 million over the next two years, and save them an additional $10 million this year. That move alone would get them well under the projected cap. Given that they have Dak at next to nothing the following two years, they can probably afford to do that. They would have been so screwed cap-wise if Dak had not come out of nowhere -- it is a shame they will not really pay for pushing the Romo cap hits down the road.

They can also likely pull the same push-hits-down-the-road trick with several of their other contracts -- they basically turn this year's salary into a signing bonus, which then gets prorated over the rest of their contracts. Players typically don't care -- they get a lump sum at the beginning of the season instead of game checks, but the money to them is the same, and it makes cutting them less likely (less cap savings by doing that in future years). But it can drastically reduce this year's cap hit, at the expense of future years.

They did that multiple times with Romo, which is the cause of the 19.6 number for cutting him. They have several players they could do that with now -- Tyron Smith and Travis Frederick all have 10+ million dollar salaries this year which could be turned into bonuses. Frederick's in particular seems designed to do that -- his cap hit is almost 15 million in 2017, but it goes down to $10 million in 2018, then around 7 million for 2019-2021. They could even those out by moving his guaranteed salary this year to a signing bonus. That's almost set up to pull that trick with him the next two years. They don't have any obvious cut candidates though.

So, I'm sure they will reduce their cap number quite a bit next year, and be able to retain some guys. But they are paying very highly for that offensive line right now, and it may be hard for them to fit more big-money contracts in, or retain some of the guys. And if they trade/cut Romo, they will be left with nothing at backup QB again. We can pray that Dak is a one-year wonder, or will look worse with a more pedestrian line in front of him. Leary is a free agent, and Martin and La'el Collins are eligible for new contracts this year (heading into their last year of their rookie deals), so it will be interesting if they can keep it together. Martin has a fifth-year option they will almost certainly exercise for 2018, which would raise him to top-10 guard money for that year. But he'd probably be the most-paid guard if he got to free agency.

Comment

Working...
                  X