No announcement yet.

Eagles gettin some national props.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am not knocking the Eagles' FO, because they have proven that their system of evaluating players and positions works well. However, it is too early to declare the moves they have made this offseason as "shrewd." In fact, they may have made a mistake in overvaluing Curtis. Also, they have yet to address the most glaring needs of the team which are on defense. So, lets wait to see what other moves they make before we start throwing bouquets. Certainly, other teams (like the Broncos, Pats, and Bucs) have done better this offseason.
    "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

I'm trying to remember the Eagles ever making a shrewd move? McDougle? Thrash? Kearse? D Howard? I can't think of one example of the Eagles being shrewd unless you really push it and call letting Taylor , Vincent or M Lewis walk away. But resigning your own guys IMO cannot be considered shrewd.
      Redskins Suck Ass

Comment

Originally posted by nc
        I'm trying to remember the Eagles ever making a shrewd move? McDougle? Thrash? Kearse? D Howard? I can't think of one example of the Eagles being shrewd unless you really push it and call letting Taylor , Vincent or M Lewis walk away. But resigning your own guys IMO cannot be considered shrewd.
        So re-signing Dawkins and Runyan, Andrews, Jackson, Herremans and Brown was not shrewd???? We should have ditched the first pair and waited, hoped to get a chance to re-sign the others laterin FA at exhorbitant prices and that would have been shrewd. Managing your own player's contracts is just as much a part of "shrewd" if not much more so, as any management of hit or miss FAs JMO.

Comment

The signings of Andrews, Herremans and Jackson were real nice. They have backfired somewhat in the past though (Welbourne, Hollos and Duce come to mind). Sometimes these guys (right or wrong) feel that they have been taken advantage of and things get messy.

As for Runyon, you can thank his wife!!
          "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Gotta add, to fanofthegame, great post!!!!
            "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
            — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
            - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

Comment

Did the 2000 Ravens really win because they "went for it" or did they wind up in cap hell later on because they couldn't afford the players they had? I hardly call entering a season with Banks and Dilfer at QB and a rookie running back "going for it". They had a great defense, but mostly from their own drafting prowess.

The other teams that have won since then have been teams that were good for a long time (Bucs, Colts, Steelers) who didn't really make any major moves (in fact the Steelers lost Burress and the Colts lost James right before they won) and the Pats, who came out of nowhere their first year and then were written off for making moves like the Eagles moves (Lawyer Malloy) before going on to win 2 more titles.

Name me ONE team in the last 10 years that has won a Super Bowl by "going for it"? Mostly they wind up not winning and sucking for years (see Jags, Titans, Raiders, etc.)
              "Luck is the residue of design"
              -Branch Rickey

Comment

Originally posted by Striar
                Did the 2000 Ravens really win because they "went for it" or did they wind up in cap hell later on because they couldn't afford the players they had? I hardly call entering a season with Banks and Dilfer at QB and a rookie running back "going for it". They had a great defense, but mostly from their own drafting prowess.

The other teams that have won since then have been teams that were good for a long time (Bucs, Colts, Steelers) who didn't really make any major moves (in fact the Steelers lost Burress and the Colts lost James right before they won) and the Pats, who came out of nowhere their first year and then were written off for making moves like the Eagles moves (Lawyer Malloy) before going on to win 2 more titles.

Name me ONE team in the last 10 years that has won a Super Bowl by "going for it"? Mostly they wind up not winning and sucking for years (see Jags, Titans, Raiders, etc.)
                Denver comes to mind. The old 49ers. I think that the Bucs spent some money the year tthey won. The Pats went out and got Dillon. Most teams see the benefit I think (except the Redskins of course).
                "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

You still need to be smart, but you do have to take chances. The Skins are one good example of spending foolishly. The Pats are a great example of signing FA's, and drafting talent. But we already know that. I just think you need to be prepared to take more chances to win, not chances for chances sake, but filling viable holes with FA and drafting young talent. We really haven't done a great job on the FA market doing this. Come to think of it the last few drafts outside the OL haven't exactly been stellar either.
                  Redskins Suck Ass

Comment

"The bottom line isn't being competitive, at this level it really isn't quite good enough."

Disagree big time... while winning the SB is the ultimate prize and it is the biggest carrot out there---- it isn't why I have followed football it isn't why I have followed foottbal and the Eagles for over 50 years-- it is sports entertainment - and the minute you make it more than that you are doomed to ride this over the top emotional and devastating roller coaster ride of "nothing matters except to be the last one standing" bullcrap, IMO.

"I think sometimes you have to step out of the comfort zone and take a chance to do great things. The Ravens did and everyone laughed about cap hell. They won a SB and are now poised again to make a real run. All this was done is Reid's tenure, the Ravens are again riding the sine wave up again."

Really? the Ravens? what "bold moves " did they make to win the SB? They had a sub par QB and never ever upgraded there till this year. They had and outstanding Defense that was mostly built from within...... and their rise back is mostly due to their drafting really well after they couldn't keep that SB roster together.

And what have they won since?

Comment

Some money was spent, but not in a "risk everything and go for it" manner. The Eagles have spent, and have gotten close. But "going for it" is what the Redskins and Raiders do. Corey Dillon was the only time the Pats did anything like that, and that was after they had won 2 titles and nobody would get on them if the "risk" didn't pay off. And they didn't have to pay him a trillion dollars to get him.
                      -Branch Rickey

Comment

A long as your happy with winning 10 games a year and taking the annual Jan kick in the balls that's fine. It really is a personal thing. I'd settle for a few down years for a real shot at a Super Bowl. I realize there are no guarantees. but I'll damn well bet everything I own that this team as now constructed will not win a SB. This D is just not good enough. I didn't care all that much about Stallworth, and or Curtis, but I do care about this D being able to stop the run and get the other O off the field. We lost to NO because the front 7 was awful and that's being kind. make no real changes, and you'll get no different results.
                        Redskins Suck Ass

Comment

It's just that if you "go for it' you need to have the right players available to "go for it". This was one of the weakest free agency years ever. In 2004 we did "go for it". At some point in the near future, we will "go for it" again. Except that our version of it will not screw us over.

The Eagles haven't settled for 10 wins and one and done. They have had 11-13 wins, home field advantage, etc. They haven't "settled" for anything. You can't win 11, 11, 12, 12, 13, and 10 games in a 7 year stretch and not be "going for it". No team can only "half-ass" it or "accept good but not great" and put up those win totals. They have just kind of choked in the end a lot, and partly because of key injuries (McNabb the Tampa year, Westbrook and Emmons the Carolina year).
                          -Branch Rickey

Comment

Originally posted by nc
                            A long as your happy with winning 10 games a year and taking the annual Jan kick in the balls that's fine. It really is a personal thing. I'd settle for a few down years for a real shot at a Super Bowl. I realize there are no guarantees. but I'll damn well bet everything I own that this team as now constructed will not win a SB. This D is just not good enough. I didn't care all that much about Stallworth, and or Curtis, but I do care about this D being able to stop the run and get the other O off the field. We lost to NO because the front 7 was awful and that's being kind. make no real changes, and you'll get no different results.
                            I must be getting senile. I thought we only lost by a couple points and certainly didn't get the sh*t kicked out of us. I had the strange idea that our guys got screwed and had to play on a short week which helped wear out our O and D lines both. I'm sure I was imagining that we were missing probowlers named McNabb, Kearse, Sheppard and Andrews but then I guess you think we should have pro-bowl back-ups for our Star QB, and our best DLineman, CB and OLineman. They obviously settled for a "down year". Tell me again, what team were you watching??

Comment

NC that's a cheap cop out to say that I or anybody else or the team is "happy" or satisfied losing the last game of the year.

But as you even acknowledge, there is no guarantee, no matter what you do.

So the Eagles do what they think, yup, what THEY think is the best way to do it.

And you can always trot out that until they get the Lombardi they aren't successful, but it just isn't true to the sportsman or the real football fan(no shots, just strictly IMO).

All the team can do is do what it thinks is best -- collectively and within the boundaries that they have as a business - to put themselves in a position to win the Lombardi.

And they have been masterful these last 6 years --- overall.

Have they won it? No. But in my opinion and many others I think, not winning the last game of the year has many outside factors working both against and for each team -- so far we have come up on the short end, of injuries, bounces, maybe even some bad game management --- but many of the teams in the last 6 years-- were capable of winning that last game, IMO and many of the national pundits as well ..... and yes, that is all I can ask of my teams FO is to get us into that position. That doesn't mean I'm "happy" or satisfied to lose the last game, but it doesn't mean that the other 6 -8 months have been a waste of my time either.

And frankly if I thought --{and I believe that they also think, of course JIMO)-- that if they "could go for it all' one year and guarantee the trophy they and I would gladly accept that ------ but as you even acknowledge, that can't be done so what is the next best alternative?

IMO, it's build your team to win consistently and get as many runs as you possibly can.

As for not taking any chances I think you're wrong there also, they took on OD and Keasre in the same year-- not to many teams have taken that bold a move. They have consistently followed their plan and let som evets go and trusted in their draft and young players -- that is risk. Sometimes it works, see Brown and Sheppard, sometimes it doesn't see Burgess and Kalu for Hugh. But over all they have taken risks, just maybe not the kind you want--- hell even Curtis is a risk, could be good could be bad but it is a risk.

The problem as I see it, is the same one that has been here since they have gotten consistently good--- everybody thinks they know better, everybody thinks they are right , everybody thinks they have the magic answer------- and they get pissed off when the team, the professionals, the people being paid lots of money and have many years working in the field, don't do things the way they want them to.

Again I follow football and the Eagles as sports entertainment, and having watched them for 50+ years this is the most consistent, and best football and best organization that I have ever seen here.

That may not mean much to you, but it certainly does to me and I'm willing to bet a majority of long time Eagle and Philly sports fans in general.

So yes I would dearly love a Lombardi, in fact several, but I'm not gonna diss them every year that they don't win it--- as long as they have given me a fair shot. Did the car dealer do that for me or you? Did the Drunk do that for me or you?

Following your logic, respectfully, maybe you shouldn't even bother to watch till the postseason, if after all, that is ALL that counts and that is all you are willing to judge them on.

Comment

Saturday, March 17, 2007
                                Eagles on the right track

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As of this writing, Philadelphia is the best team in the NFC East -- assuming Donovan McNabb comes back strong. The NFC is there for the taking and Philadelphia very well could be the team to take advantage of the conference's mediocrity in 2007. The Eagles finished the 2006 season strongly, until losing a tight game in New Orleans in the second round of the playoffs. The Eagles should be back next year in a big way.
                                Although they started slowly in free agency, the Eagles recently landed WR Kevin Curtis, a major addition to their offense and a replacement for Donte' Stallworth. Curtis is a great fit. He is very smart and will adjust to the offense quickly.

He has underrated speed and is good with the ball in his hands. Philadelphia could probably use another wide receiver, but Reggie Brown is primed to take another step forward in his development and the coaches are also high on their younger guys. They also brought back RB Correll Buckhalter to take some pressure off star RB Brian Westbrook. Philadelphia also boasts a strong offensive line.

This combination, along with exceptional coaching and play calling makes the entire unit efficient and dangerous. Usually a pass-happy offense, only seven teams had more passing attempts per game than Philadelphia did in 2006. The Eagles also averaged 4.8 yards per carry and got excellent offensive production late in games. This shows their improved offensive balance and great timing calling run plays. The Eagles were outstanding on first downs and also in third-and-long situations.

As long as McNabb comes back and isn't hindered by his injury, the Eagles will be in great shape on offense, but there are a few areas they could still look to strengthen on draft day. The Eagles could use a developmental quarterback in the middle rounds to groom as McNabb's backup. Drafting a big, strong runner to compete with the injury-prone Buckhalter also makes a lot of sense. Someone like Tony Hunt, Brian Leonard or Chris Henry could catch their eye in the second round.

Also, if the right receiver is there, the Eagles still could pull the trigger on a player like Robert Meachem, Anthony Gonzalez, Craig Davis, Sidney Rice, Steve Smith or Jason Hill with their top two picks. Meachem in particular could be too enticing to pass up with the 26th pick in round one. As far as their offensive needs go, they are in an enviable position now where they will not have to reach for any specific area and can just pounce on a player who presents excellent value.

The outlook on defense isn't as rosy, but the unit should be improved from last season. The Eagles simply must do a better job against the run and surely will address this issue in the draft. They allowed 136.4 yards per game on the ground, and 4.5 yards per carry in 2006.

The loss of DE Jevon Kearse forced Philadelphia's other defensive ends to play too many snaps and also hurt from a pure pass-rushing standpoint. MLB Jeremiah Trotter is aging and isn't the player he once was. He has less range and overall playmaking ability than ever.

Philadelphia's 2006 first-round pick, DT Brodrick Bunkley, struggled to get playing time and contributed very little. He is a very talented player who the Eagles absolutely must get more from in 2007. If he develops as they hoped he would when they drafted him, Bunkley and Mike Patterson could be a very disruptive interior duo.

Bunkley's development also would lighten Patterson's load, and keep the smaller defensive tackle fresh. This defense needs more playmakers overall, as FS Brian Dawkins might be the only guy who consistently makes the big play.

The Eagles need at least one linebacker, depth in their secondary, and if the right guy is available, another pass rushing defensive end to use in their rotation. Anthony Spencer or Jarvis Moss might be right up their alley and would fit right in without having to play a ton of snaps in their rookie season.

Philadelphia should have plenty of options at linebacker. They are not pigeonholed into taking an outside or inside guy, and they could probably use one of each. In the top rounds of the draft, expect them to pursue guys such as MLB Patrick Willis, who should already be gone, Brandon Siler and David Harris.

Outside linebackers who might spark some interest include Lawrence Timmons, Paul Posluszny, John Beason and Rufus Alexander. The Eagles always put a premium on the cornerback position and could snatch up someone like Aaron Ross or Darrelle Revis in round one, even though they don't necessarily need a starting corner. A bigger safety like Sabby Piscitelli or Aaron Rouse would be a nice addition to use near the line of scrimmage, provide depth and contribute immediately on special teams.

The Eagles might also look for a stout run-plugging defensive tackle in the middle rounds. With the exception of needing a playmaking linebacker, the Eagles will be patient and take the player highest on their board, instead of reaching for need.

Overall, this is an excellent organization with bright, proven decision makers and a strong talent base. They are in very good shape for this time of the year and have an opportunity to improve upon their impressive 2006 season. Of course, if McNabb is watching from the sidelines, all of this could be for not. But, as it stands, Philadelphia looks like a playoff team and maybe much more.

Comment

Working...
                                X