Areas of concern for this team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dawkins20
    I can't be too happy about an Eagle win when I think that all the teams in our division will beat Houston and San Fran too. Lets face it, the Giants D is nothing special either.
    Don't mean to hijack your post but the perks of a last place schedule mean that only the Eagles will get a chance to play SF and GB. We have already seen the benefits with the Eagles win while the Gnats lost in a matchup of last year's division winners in Seattle and the Redshits lost to Minnesota at home.

Comment

double post

Comment

excellent point Pags. They all play Houston, but none play San Fran. I do feel a little better about who we play, but not much better about our spotty play against teams that are a combined 2-7 right now

still lots of football to play and I'll be interested to see how we play against a solid defensive team. We have to play one of those eventually, don't we?

Comment

San Fran was getting to McNabb with great ease in the second half when they blitzed. Inexplicably, after cutting into the lead and smacking McNabb a few times on blitzes, they backed off on most third and longs and let the Eagles convert. It's not the OL's fault entirely, but if San Fran can find success blitzing us, that concerns me when we face better defenses like Washington's and Dallas'. Note, it's not a huge concern or one that makes me think we are now going to only win 7 games, but I think in big games it could be an area of concern.

As for the TE, in watching replays, the oppositions TE is open quite a bit. McCoy has been a pleasant surprise IMO but moreso against the run and screens than in covering TEs. I am beginning to think Lewis just really isn't that good in covering. I would not be surprised if he were not resigned or at least offered an average contract.

Things I have been impressed with is the play of Patterson and Cole.

Comment

Re: Areas of concern for this team

1. Punting. Currently Dirk is 31st in the league in punting average and net average. He is struggling. But it is early and he can get better.
            I agree and agree...

2. Kicking. Face it, Akers is struggling right now. They need to continue working on the holding situation. If it doesn't improve we might need to bring Koy back.
            What evidence do you have there is a "holding situation"? Has Dirk mishandled snaps that I have not seen? Has there been reports in the media of how Dirk is struggling holding I missed? Has Akers or Dirk said anything I missed?

I think this is a fan creation...Dirk seems to be doing fine from what I have seen...Akers is just shanking them or slightly off target...

We are not bringing Koy back...IMO Akers is just struggling and, based on his track record, professionalism and work ethic, should be fine...

3. Running. We are 20th in the league in attempts. Some might say...that's not bad. But we have lead for roughly 179 of the 195 minutes we have played thus far. The situation calls for more runs. Plus passing too much is keeping our D on the field too much...which seems to be causing injuries.
            I disagree...football is a highly physical game and injuries can happen at any time. Passing not keeping the D on the field too much....poor execution is on both the offense and defense's part IMO...if the defense shut teams down, they get off the field...if the offense executes the offense properly, the defense rests on the benches...

There is NO mandatory amount of runs necessary each game...you take whatever the defense gives you and exploit it fully....the 49ers and Giants and Texans could not stop our passing game and we killed them with it...in the Giants game we tried to run more in the 2nd half, but they stopped us pretty well so we had to pass...the 49ers game we were more effective with the run and gashed them for some long runs...

4. Defensive health. We can possibly survive the Kearse injury, but the DB's are looking grim. Maybe we should have kept Ware as a matchup on the tall WR's on our schedule?
            lol...oh no not the tall WR argument again...Ware stunk which is why he never started here and got cut...we use good CB, not tall ones for the sake if being tall...Lito is going to practice this week, Brown is fine, Dawk is supposedly fine and the rest we will need to see how this week goes...

Favre does not scare me with our pass rush and the GB terrible OL...plus their defense is never going to stop McNabb & Co. The Dallas game is a different story and I hope Reid holds some of these guys out so they can be healthy for that game.

this team still has tons of potential and can go all the way. We just need to fix some things in the gameplan, get some improvement in certain areas and heal up for when the games get tougher
            Agreed...
            Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Originally posted by eaglefan55
              Tied to number 3 is Time of Possesion, even when we are dominating in total yards and points we are either behind or barely ahead in time of possesion in fact we ended this game with 24:39 to sf's 35:21.
              Not to be rude, but who cares?

We won by a landslide....if we score quickly or slowly does not really matter as long as we score...and we did.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Maybe, because of our injuries on D, our big 3rd-quarter lead, whatever, JJ shifted the defense into a "bend but don't break" mode?

As in, let SF have their long drive, but don't let them score quickly, and tighten up in the red zone...who cares if they get FG's at this point?

Wait, that sounds an awful lot like a prevent defense. Hmm. I dunno.
                "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
                — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
                - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

Comment

Originally posted by Vote for Kalas
                  Tied to number 3 is Time of Possesion, even when we are dominating in total yards and points we are either behind or barely ahead in time of possesion in fact we ended this game with 24:39 to sf's 35:21.

We won by a landslide....if we score quickly or slowly does not really matter as long as we score...and we did.
                  True enough, but then I guess this whole thread would fall under the catagory of "who cares" so maybe you shouldn't bother yourself with it anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Vote for Kalas

True enough, but then I guess this whole thread would fall under the catagory of "who cares" so maybe you shouldn't bother yourself with it anymore.
                    Ahhh c'mon eaglefan55...I apologize if I offended you.

This thread was about more than that issue...I actually agreed with Dawk20 on several of his points..

-Andy Reid

Comment

Working...
                    X