Cox recruited Slay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cox recruited Slay

What Eagles’ Fletcher Cox told Darius Slay before blockbuster trade with Lions | How All-Pro plans to fill Malcolm Jenkins void
    Updated 6:37 AM; Today 6:35 AM
    Fletcher Cox

Philadelphia Eagles defensive tackle Fletcher Cox will need to take a bigger leadership role with Malcolm Jenkins now with the New Orleans Saints.AP

By Mike Kaye | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com
    Before the Eagles could finalize a blockbuster trade with the Detroit Lions, Fletcher Cox reached out to his former college teammate, Darius Slay, to sell him on the move to Philadelphia.

Introducing Eagles Extra: Sign up for a free trial now. Get exclusive news, behind-the-scenes observations and the ability to text directly with reporters

The pair of Pro Bowl players had known each other since high school, as both defenders were hosted on the same official recruiting visit to Mississippi State. While they only played one season together in the SEC, Cox and Slay had enough of a relationship that the defensive tackle could encourage the cornerback to join him in Philadelphia.

“I just told him, ‘If you want to win, come to Philly,’” Cox said Thursday. “I said we win around here, we do things different around here."

The pep talk worked. Slay agreed to a contract extension with the Eagles, and he was acquired in a swap that sent third- and fifth-round picks to the Lions in March.

Cox’s sales pitch was the latest sign of leadership from the All-Pro player. He has been one of the Eagles’ best players for eight seasons, but he will now be expected to step up as a leader on defense with longtime enforcer Malcolm Jenkins back in New Orleans.

The leadership role is a challenge Cox is prepared to embrace.

“I just got to continue to raise the bar for myself,” Cox said. “Obviously, we lost Malcolm. He was a great guy in the locker room, a great guy on the field and a great guy for the city of Philadelphia. But, we’ve got to understand that it’s a business. For me, myself, I’ve got to keep raising the bar. The guys know that I’m a leader and I’m there if they need me. I’m not a big rah-rah guy ... but I like to lead by example.”

Cox’s example includes five Pro Bowl invitations.

But now, with Jenkins gone, Cox may need to use more than just his play to set the tone for the Eagles. His voice, the one that recruited Slay to Philadelphia, might need to be used more than he’s previously been accustomed to.

“Yeah, sometimes I give speeches, and let guys know how I’m feeling,” Cox said. “I’m obviously excited to give more speeches like that.”
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"
Working...
X