PSU Football - The Freeh Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSU Football - The Freeh Report

It's out and will certainly spur some discussion. Here's the site if you want to read it first hand. (Someone keep an eye on Big Philly to make sure he doesn't hurt himself!)

http://thefreehreportonpsu.com/
    Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
    Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Fucking disgusting, I'm even more disgusted than I was when it first came to light.

Penn State football should be wiped out for a few years and all PSU victories following their horrifying failure to act on McQueary's report should be stricken, thus ensuring Paterno cannot be called college football's winningnest coach. Paterno disgusts me. They all disgust me.
    Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

I didn't read the whole thing just the finds section and I'm disgusted. The fact that they didn't care about anything other than the reputation of the football program is horrifying. I do take some satisfaction that Penn State is now a complete and total embarrassment. For the people who thought the school's reputation was more important than the welfare of the children Sandusky raped, I hope the school's new reputation as a national embarrassment brings them to their knees. And while they're on their knees I hope there's a line of prisoners waiting to rape them the same way Sandusky raped those kids they refused to help. I'm going to throw away my Penn State sweatshirts. As for Paterno, I'm incredibly disappointed in him. My first thought was that it's too bad he isn't here to defend himself, but maybe that in and of itself is justice too.

Comment

While I've always tended to root for Penn State because they were one of the few Eastern powers, I've been anything but a devoted fan. And I've never particularly cared for Paterno and the cult of personality that developed around him and the program.

I don't take any pleasure in the fact that his legacy has been ruined but I do wish he'd lived so that he could face up to his unforgivable failure to protect children from Sandusky. In some respects, the failure of Paterno and the other 3 senior PS officials to take forceful action to stop Sandusky dead in his tracks when they first learned of his vile behavior is even worse than what Sandusky did.

As despicable a creature as he is, we have to assume he is driven by inner demons. The Gang of Four have no such excuse. Paterno, Spanier, Curley and Schultz were motivated by the cold and cynical desire to place the image of PS above the lives of defenseless innocents.

I do feel badly for the hundreds of thousands of decent PS grads and students who may rightly feel humiliated by this situation. It also bothers me greatly that the big SEC powers, most of whom have football programs that wallow in blatant corruption and deceit and who would have effectively kept such a story from ever surfacing, can now sit back and with an attitude of phony moral superiority and ridicule one of the few northern schools whose football teams tested them.

Comment

I just hope that they hang those administraters by the balls.
          "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

I read the whole report. How this progressed to where it is now is incredible. There were failures on many different levels that aggravated Sandusky's crimes. Fear of reprisals, insufficient training of staff and security personnel on reporting procedures, the power wielded by the Athletics Dept in relation to other campus entities. As has been stated here already, the most egregious failing of all is the lack of sufficient concern for the children. The reputation of the school was the primary concern of the four people that were best positioned to intervene. A stupefying lack of perspective, IMO. And that is an understatement. Outside of the report, some have questioned just how much Mrs. Sandusky was actually aware of, in light of her adopted son stepping forward. Those victims will never be whole again, no matter what justice or compensation is delivered.
            I too feel bad for those honorable PSU grads as Tino has expressed.

Comment

The sad thing is that every single big time college program wouldve done the same thing.

TP - there's no need for training on how to report kids getting raped. YOU REPORT THE FUCKING THING TO POLICE.

Everyone is sorta letting McQueery off the hook cause he reported it to Joe and that should have been good enough. Well, it's not. You need to blow the whistle loud and often.

Unfortunately, the primary concern of the football program superseded everything. Fuck these guys. They really should be suspended for a decade or so.

Comment

Originally posted by sfphillyfan View Post
                The sad thing is that every single big time college program wouldve done the same thing.

TP - there's no need for training on how to report kids getting raped. YOU REPORT THE FUCKING THING TO POLICE.

Everyone is sorta letting McQueery off the hook cause he reported it to Joe and that should have been good enough. Well, it's not. You need to blow the whistle loud and often.

Unfortunately, the primary concern of the football program superseded everything. Fuck these guys. They really should be suspended for a decade or so.
                Again I understand McQueery. He was brought up in that town and went to the icon Paterno. He was not much more than a kid himself. I imagine he thought the people in charge were "dealing with it". I can't hang the kid. Hell, he's the only person in the whole university that did anything!
                "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by sfphillyfan View Post

Agree 100%, SF. The training thing refers to a state statute that requires all crimes occurring on campus to be reported and recorded for statistical analysis. This information becomes public record, and allows students and parents to access this information when considering a school. This statute, called the Clery Act, was enacted in 1991 I believe. Any effort at implementation didn't really occur on campus until 2007, when the Head L.E.O. delegated the responsibility to an overworked sergeant who could not commit sufficient time to its full implementation. It is my understanding from reading the report that the Athletics Dept, and other depts. were allowed to implement or opt out of the requirements. The thinking I guess is that if the school police would have followed the statute, Sandusky's crimes would have been public record back in 1998, and his prosecution would have soon followed. It is my understanding that campus police were not notified by any of the principal characters in the report.

Comment

Re: Clery Act. Passed in 1990. It is a Federal law, not a state law. Campus law enforcement, Deans, ADs and others have a responsibility to report certain crimes. The school's police noted the deficient implementation in 2007, and tried to correct it. Other depts. in the school did not seem to understand the importance of complying, as sanctions in worst-case non-compliance instances could result in withdrawal of any and all Federal funding.

Comment

I agree with 60, McQueery did what he thought was enough - he reported it to his Supervisor. Paterno did the same, but from the looks of things in this report, he then actively lobbied to prevent others from calling the Police! This is unfathomable and IMM equates to protecting the football program at all costs. Why? To protect your reputation or protect the money the program generates? To me either case is the same thing as pimping out the kids.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                        Again I understand McQueery. He was brought up in that town and went to the icon Paterno. He was not much more than a kid himself. I imagine he thought the people in charge were "dealing with it". I can't hang the kid. Hell, he's the only person in the whole university that did anything!
                        There were two janitors in the report who saw Sandusky in the act prior to that incident. One saw two sets of feet in the same shower stall. He hid, and saw him (sandusky) and a kid walk out of the locker room. The other janitor witnessed a sexual act (oral on a minor). In that person's words, he was more shaken by that image than he was of seeing fellow soldiers with their limbs blown off in the Korean War. The janitors conferred with their supervision, but decided against going outside of the school for fear of losing their jobs and other reprisals they might face.

The local police were in fact informed in 1998 by one kid's mother, but the DA decided that there wasn't enough evidence to bring him in. He was admonished to stay away from that particular kid, and to not shower with kids at all. (That to me sounds silly, in that you'd actually have to TELL someone that!)

Campus police developed a means for reporting, in compliance with the Clery statute, but it was seldom used by other depts.
                        Last edited by ThoughtProcess; 07-12-2012, 02:28 PM.

Comment

The arrogance and self-serving attitudes of those at the very top of the School who placed their own reputations/jobs above the innocent victims is reprehensible. It is similar to the way the RC church has and continues to protect its multitude of sexual predators. If this happened to my child and I saw this report and/or continue to see how the RC acts, would potentially make me lose my moral bearings. Jail is too good for people who act in this manner.

Comment

This was the worst possible scenario. The one thing that we thought made PSU better was integrity and priorities.

The best case would have been that Joe was a Prudish, naive, doddering old man that was willfully ignorant and that the admin was just incompetent. Now it's Painfully obvious that the same problem of college football corrupted them all just like so many other schools. The difference was much graver though.

I wanted Joe to be the hero that rescues these boys. Instead he was like a corrupt mafia godfather that didn't want the family name shamed by the black sheep of the family.
                            www.disciplerocks.com

Comment

Originally posted by saratoga View Post
                              This was the worst possible scenario. The one thing that we thought made PSU better was integrity and priorities.

The best case would have been that Joe was a Prudish, naive, doddering old man that was willfully ignorant and that the admin was just incompetent. Now it's Painfully obvious that the same problem of college football corrupted them all just like so many other schools. The difference was much graver though.

I wanted Joe to be the hero that rescues these boys. Instead he was like a corrupt mafia godfather that didn't want the family name shamed by the black sheep of the family.

He wasn't willfully ignorant. As the Freeh report says, he was following the developments in the 1998 case very closely.
                              Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

Working...
                              X