Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Areas of concern for this team

IMHO they are all fixable.

1. Punting. Currently Dirk is 31st in the league in punting average and net average. He is struggling. But it is early and he can get better.

2. Kicking. Face it, Akers is struggling right now. They need to continue working on the holding situation. If it doesn't improve we might need to bring Koy back

3. Running. We are 20th in the league in attempts. Some might say...that's not bad. But we have lead for roughly 179 of the 195 minutes we have played thus far. The situation calls for more runs. Plus passing too much is keeping our D on the field too much...which seems to be causing injuries

4. Defensive health. We can possibly survive the Kearse injury, but the DB's are looking grim. Maybe we should have kept Ware as a matchup on the tall WR's on our schedule?

this team still has tons of potential and can go all the way. We just need to fix some things in the gameplan, get some improvement in certain areas and heal up for when the games get tougher

You've pretty much nailed it. But I'll say this.

1. The punting is not a great concern to me, yet. I've seen what Dirk can do, and those stats can be misleading when you are trying to make certain type of punts. Bottom line is, we have covered punts well. We also don't punt a whole hell of a lot.

2. Akers can be fixed. Whether that's him adjusting, or bringing back Koy so he doesn't HAVE to adjust, it's fixable.

3. Calling more runs is certainly fixable. But it's more the timing of runs that bothers me. Having a second an 2, passing twice and then missing a FG and ending up with nothing, and taking no time off the clock bothered me. Kno when to run.

4. Can't do much about health. Where are we gonna get a quality CB right now? Gotta live with that one.
    http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

I disagree with #3. This team is a passing offense and it always will be. Running just to run is how they will lose games like last week. They will never be a ball control offense.
      FRESH > cancer

I hate everything the Cowboys stand for. If you think they are America's team, then you support everything that is wrong with America. The excess, the greed, the lack of maturity, the lack of responsibility, the lack of control. - Luzinski's Gut

Comment

I agree with you Blitz, which is why I made the distinction of WHEN you run, vs. the # of runs.

Dawk is unfortunately looking for something he will never find.
        http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Well - we might be 20th in rushing attempts - but we're 5th in rushing yards/game which means when we run, it's effective. Also - if you keep the rushing attempts to a minimum but are still effective, isn't that limiting Westbrook in his touches somewhat? If they maintain a 20th in # of attempts but a top 10 rushing yds/game balance, Reid is a genius.

Comment

Two other areas of concern:

1) Blitz pickup by our OL. I have noticed guys are getting to McNabb a lot easier than I can remember. San Fran started bringing pressure in the 3rd quarter and was getting to McNabb with ease but then inexplicaby backed off on a few key third downs and we converted.

2) We still can't cover TEs.

While stevemc makes a decent point about running the ball and were we rank, it is skewed a bit given Westy's long runs.

The question I want answered is with a lead, can we run the ball effectively enough to control a lead against a good team? I think that question is yet to be answered.

Comment

Tied to number 3 is Time of Possesion, even when we are dominating in total yards and points we are either behind or barely ahead in time of possesion in fact we ended this game with 24:39 to sf's 35:21.

Comment

"2) We still can't cover TEs. " - Absolutely. Good thing Shockey has been gimped up, and his QB STINKS. But we struggle against decent TEs, and we made Johnson look like Gonzales yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by eaglefan55
                  Tied to number 3 is Time of Possesion, even when we are dominating in total yards and points we are either behind or barely ahead in time of possesion in fact we ended this game with 24:39 to sf's 35:21.
                  I think the TOP of possession is a little skewed. Yes, the defense let the Niners stay on the field for a long time in the third quarter but remember also, we stopped them on 3 consecutive runs at the 1 yard line (clock running) then returned a ball on defense 98 yards for a touchdown only to give the Niners the ball again for a long drive. Therefore our defense is the reason for the TOP balance moreso than offense IMO.

Comment

True. I was saying during that goal line stand that "even if we give up a TD here, we're making them eat a lot of clock to do it".

Comment

" Blitz pickup by our OL."

Disagree. Overall, IMHO, this OL has played outstanding, especially in pass Pro! Most plays #5 has time to look at many options.

Do they keep any stats how much time a QB has?

Comment

Originally posted by stevemc
                        Originally posted by eaglefan55
                        I think the TOP of possession is a little skewed. Yes, the defense let the Niners stay on the field for a long time in the third quarter but remember also, we stopped them on 3 consecutive runs at the 1 yard line (clock running) then returned a ball on defense 98 yards for a touchdown only to give the Niners the ball again for a long drive. Therefore our defense is the reason for the TOP balance moreso than offense IMO.
                        Great point and one I have long held... the D needs to help itself sometimes!

Rieds O is what you see is what you get -- it's been the same and going to be the same for the foreseeable future. It's a passing O and a short pass to Reid is a the same as a run. Also pass plays or a passing O are not what causes a defense to play longer minutes -- it's the defense itself that causes that and it's helped by an offense that goes 3 and out often.

BUT the bottom line is that the defense can always solve their own problem -- by making the other O go 3 and out as well. Our D wasn't tired in the 3rd qtr, they were pretty rested, they just couldn't get themselves off the field. The Eagles O only had 2 possessions in the entire 3rd qtr.

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH
                          I agree with you Blitz, which is why I made the distinction of WHEN you run, vs. the # of runs.

Dawk is unfortunately looking for something he will never find.
                          then throw more short balls. It's not like we are looking to run the clock at all. It's deep passes and low percentage passes at times.

If I am looking for something I will never find, then I truly believe this team will never win a title. Not in today's game in which the rules favor the offense. Once you get a big lead you need to run clock or risk losing that lead.

Just my $.02

maybe I am setting myself up for dissapointment......but I've watched the champions of the last 6 or so years and I know they all had solid defenses that got rest because they were fresh as their offense won the TOP battle.

and stevemc...who said it had to be all Westbrook? Why did we keep Buckhalter and draft Moats. Use 'em. Hell, no better time than when up 21 points

Comment

I disagree on a couple areas discussed.

The punt game has been above average, since the name of the game is to have agood net average, which he does. He also had several punts in three games that were inside the 20. That will kill your average if you only punt 4 times a game early in the year. I was worried about Johnson when he first arrived, but he has been good since that first year.

Blitz pickup- Maybe I miss read this, but the O line cannot pick up 6 blitzers. The backs or TE have to help, so the Oline can't be blamed without looking at assignments and where the blitz came from. Plus DM has to do a better job knowing where the extra man is coming from and getting rid of the ball. DM's confidence seems to make him hang on too long.

TE coverage- The big TE play against Tex was a breakdown by the dime package. Some others were when Dawkins had to help the weak corner position. Not having Hood and Lito, has effected who has to cover a TE. Teams are sending the TE in motion so they can see who has the matchups, which is tough for a LBer if the pressure is not there. PLUS, Davis did nothing, Shockey did nothing and Tex only had one big play. That is NOT bad.
                            Pedro

Comment

a net average of 38.6 isn't that great. Especially when you only have 3 inside the 20. However, I will say the punt coverage has been phenomenal. Only 3 yard return average. i just don't know from watching how much of that is a credit to him.

am I the only one thinking about how the Texans just made Mark Brunnel look like Bart Starr on Sunday?

I can't be too happy about an Eagle win when I think that all the teams in our division will beat Houston and San Fran too. Lets face it, the Giants D is nothing special either.

again, the potential for greatness is there. I'm just not seeing anything too exciting, and I do see areas of concern. I hope these areas don't cost us when the competition gets tougher

Comment

Working...
                              X