Where did it all go wrong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where did it all go wrong

Trying to pin point when exactly it all started to suck for the sixers...it's very hard

- Management- would Croce had kept everything successful? Snider didnt do anything and billy king was terrible. I'd also keep in mind Tony Dileo. Tony has been apart of scouting/gm since 1990, he seems to be the only constant

- Draft- it all comes down to this IMO. One draft changed the course of the franchise and that was 1998- picking Hughes over pierce. Now you can say picking dalembert over Parker in 2001, but Parker was just some teenager in France. 2004 Iggy was the right choice, he was just complimentary. Rondo was needed in 2006 instead of the great Rodney carney trade. 2010 Turner was the wrong pick, Paul George was there, cousins would have been okay only if we had a legitimate coach and stable management. Also as I'm looking, sometimes it seems the sixers don't even have a first round pick

- Iverson - I love him, but you have to put in up there for setting the franchise back. The "talent" never worked around him, Hughes , Robinson , kukoc, harpring, iggy. You hitch your wagon to the guy, but there was a time when he should have been traded, but you kept him and did the same thing with the same roster year after year

The sixers sucking is not just Adam Aaron and Bynum. What they did last year is the BEST you can hope for, a bunch of slightly talented guys playing together, like the hawks or pacers, bucks and its not going to change. The draft is getting weaker each year, players want to play with others, oh and you still have dileo and thorn making the call.

I can't believe they just had a lockout and couldn't come up with a way to make it easier for teams to rebuild, this is not the nfl you can tell they don't want everyone to be competitive, just "their" markets, it's sad, but the sixers can only blame their ineptness.

It all went wrong with the signing of Elton Brand and the extension of Igoudala. Those moves set the franchise back to pre-Iverson levels.

You can't blame Iverson. His error resulted in a Finals appearance and, yeah, they should've traded him earlier but he's not responsible for the current state of the Sixers.

Comment

It went wrong for the 76ers when they weren't bad enough to get a high lottery pick (with one exception) over the last 15 years so they could draft a superstar player. They actually had a nice team in 2010-11 and 2011-12 but needed a superstar-caliber player to complement the many solid but not spectacular players they had on the team. (I think of the 2011 and 2012 76ers teams as being similar though slightly inferior to the current-era Chicago Bulls without Derrick Rose). The one time they had a real high draft pick in recent years, they picked a guy (Evan Turner) who isn't and won't be a superstar.

The Elton Brand signing and Andrew Bynum trade were their efforts to get a good inside player (albeit not a superstar, but a very good player), but obviously both blew up in their faces.

I've long thought Andre Igoudala would an ideal #3 (3rd best) player on a really good team. He can do a lot of things well, but he's not a guy who can carry a team and scoring is probably the thing he does least well.

Comment

Evan Turner, unfortunately, was the right pick. It was just one crappy draft class.

Comment

Nothing has gone right for the Sixers since they traded Moses Malone to Washington for Jeff Ruland and sent the draft rights to Brad Daugherty for Roy Hinson. All in the space of two or three days.

Had they just stood pat and kept Moses and paired Brad Daugherty with a young Charles Barkley, they would have won multiple championships. Instead, they are cursed for eternity.
          Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

Originally posted by sfphillyfan View Post
            Evan Turner, unfortunately, was the right pick. It was just one crappy draft class.

No, he was the wrong pick. Derrick Favors was the right pick.
            Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

Originally posted by Leonard Tose View Post
              Nothing has gone right for the Sixers since they traded Moses Malone to Washington for Jeff Ruland and sent the draft rights to Brad Daugherty for Roy Hinson. All in the space of two or three days.

Had they just stood pat and kept Moses and paired Brad Daugherty with a young Charles Barkley, they would have won multiple championships. Instead, they are cursed for eternity.
              I think those 2 trades occurred on the same day. (I want to say that day was 6/5/86.)

Comment

Working...
              X