• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• holy crap! someone picked the Eagles

Super Bowl primer: It's OK to pick the Eagles

Wed Feb 2, 3:04 PM ET

By Vinnie Iyer - Sporting News

With the Primer already having more than a week to surround himself with the hype surrounding Super Bowl 39, I have found it's easy to question all the typical questions about the big game. For example:

Q: "If the Patriots win again, should they be considered a dynasty?"
    A: The dictionary definition of dynasty is "a powerful group that maintains its position for a considerable time." Gee, that isn't at all vague. Funny, it doesn't even mention how many Super Bowls a team must win in a span of four years to qualify. Besides, the Shang set an impossible early standard for dynasties by ruling China for 673 years.

I will say this about the Pats: Even if they don't win their third Super Bowl, they are one of the best teams the NFL has ever seen, with a great coach and a clutch quarterback. Can't we just leave it at that and enjoy how they play?

Q: "T.O., or not T.O.?"

A: For one night only at Alltel Stadium, it's Terrell Owens starring in a one-man production of Hamlet -- the Eagles just hope he'll be holding a helmet instead of a skull come kickoff.

I don't think the Eagles' chances ride entirely on Owens being healthy enough to play well. Donovan McNabb has been in a zone all season, and he will make their passing game go, no matter where his slings and arrows go.

Q: "How can you bet against Bill Belichick and Tom Brady"?
    A: I seem to think many who are asking this question didn't think the Patriots had much of a chance against the Rams in Super Bowl 36. The oddsmakers favor the Pats by six to seven points, yet the Pats won each of their two Super Bowls by last-minute field goals. I tend to think the Eagles will do more than just cover on Sunday.

GAME OF THE SEASON

I know what I'm up against in picking the Eagles. The Patriots have been there, done that twice. They have Belichick, Brady and a defense anchored by Tedy Bruschi and other savvy playmakers. They have overcome every schematic and personnel challenge possible to get where they are.

I wouldn't pick any other team except Philadelphia to knock off the defending champs. It takes a special coach, a special quarterback and special playmakers for a team to even have a chance. Jake Delhomme and John Fox had the Panthers believing at this time last year. McNabb and Andy Reid will turn that belief into reality for the Eagles.

The Eagles don't need to play a perfect game -- they just need to stay aggressive on both sides of the ball.

The Patriots will have success early with their power running game, pounding Corey Dillon between the tackles. Philadelphia's defense will give up some chunks of yardage, but coordinator Jim Johnson's unit will limit the damage on the scoreboard.

Johnson likes to blitz, but with the way ends Jevon Kearse and Derrick Burgess are playing, he will be selective when he brings extra defenders. Safeties Brian Dawkins and Michael Lewis will be his knights, moving all around the field.

Brady burns defenses that blitz often and provide his quick wide receivers with consistently favorable single coverage. So Dawkins and Lewis will be used more in run support against Dillon when they creep up. When they read pass, they will go back to provide help for cornerbacks Lito Sheppard and Sheldon Brown.

Dillon often will put New England in favorable down-and-distances, but the Eagles' good tackling will stop the Pats from getting big runs and long pass plays. Wideouts Deion Branch and David Givens have the quickness to make sizeable gains after the catch, so Dawkins and Lewis also need to be hard-hitting intimidators. It's hard to contain both Dillon and Brady, but they will be limited to good rather than great performances.

McNabb has had a great season with his complete transformation to an always- passing quarterback. He remains a threat to take off downfield for a key first down, but he is now more dangerous with how he can run around behind the line of scrimmage. He already gets rid of the ball quickly in Reid and Brad Childress' West Coast passing game, so buying a few extra seconds with his feet can lead to 20 more yards with his arm.

The Patriots excel at confusing quarterbacks, but McNabb does his share of befuddling pass rushers and defensive backs with his elusiveness and much approved accuracy. What Brady has in big-game success, McNabb can match with his athleticism and similar experience and leadership qualities.

Running/receiving back Brian Westbrook also will be a new challenge for Belichick and Romeo Crennel's coverage and blitz schemes. Although the Patriots' front seven works best when going upfield, moving laterally and making tackles, their linebackers aren't the speediest in getting downfield. Westbrook should be limited in the screen game, but his biggest plays should come from when he lines out wide.

McNabb can't afford to key in on Westbrook -- that's a tendency Belichick will exploit. McNabb needs to continue to spread the ball around. Wide receivers Todd Pinkston and Freddie Mitchell need to help him out with a few clean releases at the line. When tight end L.J. Smith goes over the middle, he needs to hold on to the ball. It's also important for the Eagles to continue to take their shots downfield with Greg Lewis and mix in a little power running with Dorsey Levens to keep the Patriots' defense guessing.

As for Owens, I don't expect him to be the dominant, double-team drawing, daunting downfield receiver he is when completely healthy. If he plays, he probably will see time in key down-and-distance situations and near the goal line. If he can at least draw physical coverage away from Pinkston and Mitchell, that will be a huge boost for the Eagles.

Let me repeat: The Patriots won't do anything to beat themselves with turnovers and other mistakes. They will play their typical great game for four quarters. I just like the Eagles to play a complete game that's only a mere field goal better.

It should be a memorable Super Bowl, because it features two talented, balanced and well-coached teams that will take it down to the wire with -- surprise -- David Akers' left foot winning it. Eagles 27, Patriots 24.

Vinnie Iyer is the NFL projects editor for Sporting News. Email him at [email protected].
    Support Sportscolumn.com! Tell a friend!

What an arrogant bitch, how dare he disrespect the Patriots like that.

Comment

Well, to Rodney Harrison, picking the Patriots by less than 21 pts is a complete diss.
      Support Sportscolumn.com! Tell a friend!

Comment

I know, I was joking.

FOXBORO, MA--All Rodney Harrison wants is a little respect--from the media, from opposing teams, and from the fans. His team is on the verge of winning its third Super Bowl in four years and being mentioned alongside the NFL’s great dynasties, yet they are still overlooked in some circles. Harrison received a stark reminder of this on Saturday when his was allegedly disrespected by his paperboy.

“First the national media, then the opposing team, and now this? The paperboy? This one hurts,” Harrison told reporters yesterday. “It just goes to show you how much people disrespect this team even after all we’ve accomplished. Jeremy is just a kid, but he’s old enough to know a great football team when he sees one. He’s also old enough to be attacked by my rottweiler, Hitler, who has just been trained on his scent.”

The alleged slight occurred Saturday morning when the paperboy, Jeremy Robbins, arrived at the door to collect his weekly fee. Harrison gave Robbins the money plus a generous five-dollar tip. He then asked the 12-year-old if he planned to watch the Super Bowl. Robbins said that he did, but turned away as Harrison attempted to high-five him.

“When I asked him if he was going to watch the game, he said ‘Yes,’ but I don’t think his heart was in it,” said Harrison. “I figured he was just being shy, so I put my hand up to high-five him and he turned around and left. He left me hanging. Is it possible that he turned around before I even raised my hand and never actually saw it? Yes, I suppose that’s possible. But a more likely scenario is that he was disrespecting me and my teammates. Well that’s fine. That just motivates us more. Little Mr. Robbins will be on our bulletin board this week, and I’ll be thinking about him when I go helmet-to-helmet on Todd Pinkston.”

The next day Harrison made good on his promise, and posted Jeremy’s photo in the team’s locker room, along with a caption detailing his arrogant dismissal of Harrison’s high-five. As Patriots players gathered around the bulletin board, many shook their heads in disgust, but some said that the disrespect was nothing new.

“Oh, this team is used to getting slighted,” said linebacker Willie McGinest. “We’re not flashy, we don’t have a lot of big stars, and we don’t put up gaudy individual numbers. Obviously, Jeremy doesn’t realize that we had a 21-game winning streak, we have the best coaching staff in the league, and we have one of the NFL’s premier quarterbacks. But people are always underestimating this team. That just motivates us even more. Until they build a statue of us in every NFL city and immortalize our faces on Mount Rushmore, this team will feel like it’s underrated.”

Fellow linebacker Tedy Bruschi took a less diplomatic tone with regards to Jeremy.

“Who the hell does this kid think he is?” Bruschi asked. “We’re the defending Super Bowl champs and some goddamn 12-year-old thinks he’s better than us? Please. Delivering newspapers is one step up from being a shoeshine boy. I take shits bigger than that kid. I actually took one today that was much bigger. Frigging bran muffins.”

As the Patriots prepare for next week’s big game, much of the attention has been focused on the Philadelphia Eagles. The question of whether Terrell Owens will be able to play has dominated the airwaves, and much has been made about Philadelphia’s first trip to the Super Bowl in 24 years. In the state of Pennsylvania, hype for the Eagles has reached a fever pitch, with some even predicting the team will win the game. That kind of arrogance has added more fuel to the Patriots’ fire.

“I saw a Philly fan on TV the other day saying the team was going to win,” said a member of the Patriots front office “He just came right out and said it. He mentioned McNabb and Andy Reid and that defense, and not once did he acknowledge that the Patriots are one of the greatest teams in history. I even heard some Eagles fans will actually be watching the game thinking they might win or something. Talk about arrogance. These people ought to be ashamed of themselves.”

As for Robbins, don’t add the youngster to the list of non-believers just yet. When the paperboy was asked about his confrontation with Harrison, he denied being disrespectful, instead calling the whole incident “a big misunderstanding.”
        “I wasn’t disrespecting him. I swear,” said Robbins. “I would never do that. The Patriots, with their amazingly deep roster and uncanny knack for making big plays, have to be mentioned along with the greatest teams of all time. Bill Belichick is a genius and Tom Brady is the second-coming of Joe Montana. And Rodney Harrison, you can’t say enough about the guy. I just wish he would remove his dog from my leg. It’s starting to hurt.”

http://www.thebrushback.com/rodneyharrison_full.htm

Comment

I'm getting sick of this "Patriots don't get any respect" crap. If anything all I have heard was respect for the Pats and disrespect for the Eagles for the past two weeks. The Pats are widely considered the best team in football. They had a claim to not being paid any respect the week that they were to play the Colts but since then they can't make that claim.

There surprisingly are a couple other people that picked the Eagles to come out on top of this one. Micheal Wilbon, Micheal Smith, and Kevin Blackistone were the only three that I have seen pick the Eagles. If you don't know who these people are, Kevin Blackistone and Micheal Smith are writers who frequent the show, Around The Horn on ESPN. Micheal Wilbon co-hosts Pardon The Interuption, also on ESPN.
          http://www.canuckheaven.com/upload/canttouch.jpg

Comment

Working...
          X