• Story (4/4) - Truth About Jackson in 2013

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/201...n-locker-room/

There you have it.
    Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
    Playoff Appearances:
    NFC Title Games:
    Super Bowl Titles:

Philadelphia, PA (CBS) — In the days following DeSean Jackson’s release by the Eagles, speculation ran rampant as to the reasons why. Everything was to blame from Jackson’s petulant, rambunctious sideline behavior, to his alleged gang ties, to Jackson’s character, to this being Chip Kelly’s fault.

But what a number of sources close to and around the team, including current and former players, as well as additional sources within the Eagles revealed was that Jackson was not very well liked by his teammates, was blatantly insubordinate, with temper tantrums cussing out Kelly several times in front of the team, pushed the NFL rookie coach the way “a child would test boundaries,” and was more concerned with his rap label than he was about winning football games.
    Several other sources also suggested that Jeremy Maclin may have had an issue if Jackson returned to the Eagles in 2014. He wasn’t alone, if that’s true.

“The fact is, [Jackson] was a ‘me-guy’ with an attitude problem and [Maclin] is the complete opposite, a team guy, a great character guy you go to war with,” said one source. “Funny how [Jackson] has this anti-bully thing and he thought he could push [Kelly] around; he found out otherwise. His being cut had nothing to do with the gang stuff. The team knew it. Everyone knew he had ‘ties.’ Those were his guys. That’s okay. What put him out was his selfishness. He can try and spin it all he wants how he’s ‘a team player.’ He’s not. I’ll put it this way, when it came out last Friday that [Jackson] was released, more than a few guys were happy it happened. They said ‘good riddance.’ He had no real connection with anyone.

“Yes, you can say he was the type that could catch three TDs in a loss—everyone would be down, but you had the impression he was happy, because he got his. It was all about him. A lot of guys thought that way about him. [Kelly] came in here with a plan to get this thing right, and the one major [obstacle] standing in his way was [Jackson]. If we were going to move forward as a team, he had to go. Think about it—did anyone come right out and back him publicly? Not one.”
    Why didn’t Andy Reid or Marty Mornhinweg, the Jets’ offensive coordinator, want any part of Jackson before he signed a three-year, $24-million contract with the Redskins on Wednesday?

They apparently knew the potential headache Jackson was.

Kelly received some culpability in the opinion of some. But numerous sources confirmed that “Big Balls” Chip should have been canonized St. Chip after putting up with the instigating Jackson in 2013.
    “You see little kids and how they cry and whine when they don’t get their way, that was D-Jax,” another source said. “I don’t think [Jackson] gave [Kelly] the respect he deserved. Kelly tried to reach [Jackson] plenty of times and [Jackson] tuned him out. Then you look at team functions, when everyone is out together at charity things or social stuff. He was the one missing. It was like he was in ‘D-Jax world’ and we just happened to be there.

“With Reid, [Jackson] tried pushing boundaries there, too, but he looked at Reid, I think, much differently than he looked at [Kelly]. Reid came in with an NFL pedigree. He was the guy that drafted [Jackson]. He was the one that called him on draft day and laid the law down right then: [Reid] wouldn’t tolerate any outside interference from anyone. Now you get this college guy [Kelly] and he’s not going to tell [Jackson] what to do. [Kelly] has a vision for this team—and he is a very old-school coach in a lot of ways. But there’s only so much [a coach] can take.”
    In 2012, under Reid, Eagles’ management did reward Jackson a new five-year deal worth $48 million. He did have some minor flare ups with the law. In 2009, Jackson was pulled over by police for having illegally tinted windows and it was discovered he had marijuana in the car.
    Still, Jackson stayed.
    “That was all [Reid’s] doing,” opined someone close to the situation that asked that his name not be used. “[Reid] thought he could control [Jackson]. He could, to a degree. Kelly put up with [Jackson] behind closed doors. A lot of guys didn’t like how he talked to [Kelly]. And a lot of guys just didn’t like him. They thought he was too into his rap label than he was about winning games. The guy performed, there’s no questioning that. But you had to keep a constant eye on him. Guys put in extra time. He didn’t. It’s like he never grew up.”
    Asked why the Eagles have been reluctant to go public with how difficult Jackson was to deal with, sources said Kelly likes to keep in-house dirt in-house.
    “That’s [Kelly’s] way,” said one source. “It pisses me off that [Kelly] comes off looking like the bad guy here. It wasn’t just [Kelly] that wanted him gone. [Kelly] got a lot of feedback from guys that felt we were better off without [Jackson], too. [Kelly] is very much a player’s coach. His office is open to anyone. Now [Jackson] is the Redskins’ problem. We have something good going here and it’s going to get better without [Jackson]. He had to go.”
    Joseph Santoliquito is a contributing sports blogger for CBS Philly.
    Here ya go...
    Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
    Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

How's it going BP ?
      Thanks for the find. I can't believe DJAX was an asshole . (sarcasm)
      We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

This isn't exactly a newsflash. People see what they want to see. I know people are pissed because he didn't work out, but blaming the Eagles for this mess is ridiculous.
        "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Again, Kelly - "I like DeSean. DeSean did a really nice job for us. But we're always going to do what's best for the organization."
          "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

In the book good to great it says get the wrong people off the bus first.

Jackson was an overpaid prick.

Maclin is better.

Done
            You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

This, especially in the context of what Vick and Dawkins have said regarding Jackson, should offer a degree of clarity to this issue. Even though I wish that the team could have garnered something in return, I understand that it takes two teams to tango. Other teams seemingly didn't want to dance with such a petulant partner in Jackson.

Now, let's see if ESPN, Richard Sherman, et.al. pick this one up and run with it like the NJ.com story...

Comment

This may also offer some explanation as to why Reid, Mornhinweg, McKenzie didn't bring him in. The first two had the luxury of familiarity, while the embattled Raiders FO may not have wanted to poison a locker room already in flux.

It also states that Avant was the only person that could get through to him. So with his departure, one may assume that the handwriting was on the wall for Jackson's exit.

I believe that if Maclin had not been injured last season, the Eagles may have traded him then.

Comment

The timing is still questionable. Why not hold on to him until the draft and seeif you can unload him in a package deal? It would be two weeks of team activities and if he mouthed off you tell him to go home. On draft day you trade him or cut his ass DURING THE PRESS CONFERENCE ANNOUNCING INTRODUCING THE NEW WR! That will send a message plain and simple. Either you get something for him, or you make it clear that he wasn't fitting in with the new culture and he has been replaced. Period.
                  Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                  Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Juk, somewhere in all these posts about DJAX, there is a post about the team being liable for his entire season if he gets hurt before the start of team activities. Sounds like a good reason not to have him on the roster
                    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Hard to argue when sources are telling you this side of the story. And it fits perfectly with Jason Kelce's tweet. I'm sure they would have loved to get something for him, but that nj.com article ruined those chances.

It sucks the eagles lost that talent, but i'm not going to cry over it. I was much more upset when B-Dawk left. This hurts the team, but I think Chip deserves the benefit of the doubt with regards to compensating for the loss.

Comment

Originally posted by Jukin View Post
                        The timing is still questionable. Why not hold on to him until the draft and seeif you can unload him in a package deal? It would be two weeks of team activities and if he mouthed off you tell him to go home. On draft day you trade him or cut his ass DURING THE PRESS CONFERENCE ANNOUNCING INTRODUCING THE NEW WR! That will send a message plain and simple. Either you get something for him, or you make it clear that he wasn't fitting in with the new culture and he has been replaced. Period.
                        All too true. The fact that they couldn't wait tells you how big of an asshole Jackson really is. I wish Chip had pounded this piss outta that little punk. I wish anybody on the team would have kicked his ass. As much as I love Jason Avant, I wish that he weren't in the locker room to keep the little cocksucker alive. I'm tired of people defending him and crying about he's gone. The one thing that I admire about Jeff Laurie is that he has constantly kept assholes out of Eagle uniforms. He even got that POS Banner out of the front office and I admire him for it. Jackson is gone, BFD.. Let him crash and burn like the rest of the trash they bring into Washington.
                        "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

LeSean McCoy offered some thoughts Friday as part of an interview with Fox Sports.
                          “I heard the rumors, but I was surprised for sure,” McCoy said. “I mean, he’s probably one of our biggest playmakers that we had. He can make plays at any given time. He can control the game. He’s probably the biggest deep threat in the NFL. To lose a guy like that is definitely tough. He’ll definitely be missed. Obviously every move is made for a reason.
                          “The guys upstairs made the decision for a reason. When you do things like that, you have backup plans in your mind. You don’t let one of the top wide receivers go and then not have anything to back it up. I’m sure coach (Chip) Kelly and (general manager) Howie (Roseman), they’ll be able to take care of it.”

Comment

Tommy Lawlors take on the article

DeSean Update

Posted: April 4th, 2014 | Author: Tommy Lawlor | Filed under: Philadelphia Eagles | 127 Comments

After going DeSean free for a day or two, he’s back in the news. The first item to discuss is a report from CBS Philly about Jackson and his relationship with players and coaches. The report didn’t paint a very flattering picture of Jackson.
                            But what a number of sources close to and around the team, including current and former players, as well as additional sources within the Eagles revealed was that Jackson was not very well liked by his teammates, was blatantly insubordinate, with temper tantrums cussing out Kelly several times in front of the team, pushed the NFL rookie coach the way “a child would test boundaries,” and was more concerned with his rap label than he was about winning football games.
                            If you aren’t a DeSean fan, you’re going to like the piece and say “That explains a lot.”
                            If you are a DeSean fan, you’ll have some questions about the article and what it has to say.
                            As a person in the middle, I can see both sides. The biggest issue I have is that you’ve got players ripping DeSean anonymously and doing this to someone named Joseph Santoloquito. No offense to Joseph, but I’ve never heard of him. The article was well written so I’m not questioning that side of things, but I don’t know what kind of relationship he has with players.
                            When Les Bowen, Jeff McLane or Tim McManus has a report that cites unnamed sources, I can accept that. I have met them. I know they have a strong track record. I know they talk to players and other sources year round and work hard to maintain relationships so that we can trust their reports.
                            The report might be 100 percent dead on the money, but I’d be lying if I said I was completely comfortable with it.
                            I do think the report has a lot of truth in it. I’ve heard that teammates weren’t fond of DeSean, and that might be putting it mildly. We know he was a handful for the coaches to deal with.
                            Some people take the angle that people don’t need to be best friends in order to win. That’s completely true, but it misses the mark in this case. Jackson had a variety of factors working against him. He didn’t have great work habits. He was late for meetings. He had a high price tag at a position where Kelly doesn’t seem to think you need to break the bank. I think Jackson’s pursuit of a rap career hurt him as well.
                            Think of it like this. The coaches weren’t happy with DeSean. Nor many teammates. Nor the salary cap people. Nor the PR/marketing people. Who exactly was going to fight for DeSean to stay?
                            Obviously he is still a talented player, but the coaches must feel that his production is replaceable. If not, they’d be the one group arguing for him to stick around. Even coaches have a breaking point when it comes to talent.
                            If this was just a case of Chip Kelly not liking him or one assistant not liking him or a couple of players…getting rid of DeSean would not make sense. If he truly aggravated that many people, getting rid of DeSean does make some sense. You still may not agree with it, but you might understand the move better.
                            My guess is that Chip Kelly tried to make the relationship work by giving DeSean a long leash. He’s certainly a talented enough player that you want to try to fix the situation. At a certain point you just realize that things aren’t going to work and you then prepare to move on.
                            DeSean was interviewed by Stephen A. Smith tonight. I didn’t get to see the interview, but apparently it was a lot of softball questions and safe answers from DeSean.
                            Les Bowen wrote up a piece on the interview.
                            “The conversation I had with Chip Kelly was a deep, personal conversation,” Jackson said on the one-week anniversary of his release. “It was basically like, ‘we’re moving forward. I think it’s best for the team, I think it’s best for yourself.’ I was sittin’ there waiting for the reason why, but that’s basically all I can (recall) from the conversation, was ‘we’re moving forward. I think it’s best for us and I think it’s best for you … we’re going to go let you negotiate with 31 other teams.’ “
                            Jackson said Kelly “came back with the same reason” as he awaited further explanation. “That’s kind of where we left it. I got off the phone — I was like, ‘are you sure? That’s it?’ We hung up. That was it.”
                            DeSean is saying all the right things. I hope he learns from his mistakes with the Eagles. I hope he makes lots of highlight plays…all in Skins losses or wins over Dallas.
                            Jake Knott tried to steal the spotlight tonight, but it didn’t work. The backup ILB was suspended for 4 games by the NFL. Jeff McLane has the details.
                            The Eagles announced that linebacker Jake Knott has been suspended without pay for the first four games of the 2014 season for violating the NFL policy on performance enhancing substances.
                            Knott, who is entering his second season, is eligible to participate in all offseason and preseason practices and games.
                            “We’re very disappointed to learn of his suspension,” Eagles said in a statement. “We have spoken to Jake and he is fully aware of the mistake he made and owned it. The key for him, however, is to learn from that mistake and move forward with his preparation for the 2014 season.”
                            The 23-year-old Knott played in 12 games as a rookie, mostly on special teams. He was credited by the team with five special teams tackles and six on defense.
                            Knott released the following statement through the Eagles:
                            “Several weeks ago, I was shocked to learn that I tested positive for a stimulant that is banned by the NFL. I have never knowingly ingested a banned substance, but like most players, I take nutritional supplements.
                            Was this an innocent goof or was he hitting the roids? I don’t think of Knott as someone with an incredibly ripped body so I hope it was just a goof.
                            The Eagles like Knott, but this doesn’t help his situation. He’ll be fighting for a roster spot and the pressure is going to be on him to really stand out this summer.

Comment

Sounds like a blogger for CBS has put together enough unnamed sources and sources close to the situation to put us in touch with the facts. Well it all may or may not be true..... but even assuming it's ALL true.... it still doesn't satisfy me as to the losing of a pro bowl talent on the field for nothing... when it wasn't costing them nothing.

The other thing I have been noticing is that many are saying we need to give Chip the benefit of the doubt --- something some of the same people refused to do for a guy like AR after he had proven himself. Seems to me that is how the label "apologist" was born.

I hope Chip has a plan for replacing the talent.... it may have been the right move to get rid of him (time will tell) but IMO the timing was not. Seems the Eagles tried to obfuscate the release by using the NJ dot com report to either smear DJ or try to better position themselves in the public's eye. Sounds very Bannerish to me, JIMHO. Same kind of thing that many on here would have been outraged about.

I love my Eagles, I want nothing but the best for them and from them. Unless they come out from the shadows here, personally I will be disappointed.

I hope they have a plan to replace the talent and I hope they win the SB... soon.

But for me this will be personally one of those dark hours I will look back on as being on the negative side of the ledger.

Comment

Working...
                              X