Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(OT)Pictures from D Day - 70 years ago today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (OT)Pictures from D Day - 70 years ago today.

I don't know if we grow men like this anymore. Some of us have seen combat but it's NOTHING compared to the virtual meat grinder these young men faced.

After watching some interviews with the platoon members who served with the deserter Bergdahl, I suspect that we still do have some bold young men with dedication to fellow man and our nation. I hold out a LITTLE hope yet. I personally cannot imagine putting myself in that situation. Thanks to those who went before, so that I don't HAVE to.
    http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

I can't even fathom what Omaha beach was like that day in June 1944. And I don't believe the old-timers had the balls to go back and relive it yesterday! Just special men for sure. It's overwhelming just to think of it.
      "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

The HBO series Band of Brothers did a pretty good job of letting you see/understand what WWII was about (at least for someone who has never been in the military). That era was just so different to what we've been lucky to benefit from and we aren't even the English who lived in fear every day of bombs and rockets for so many years.

Comment

We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Comment

a 94 year old gentleman was out trimming along his sidewalk with a hand trimmer yesterday, I found it necessary to talk with him. He mentioned the 70th anniversary and later said he was on Utah Beach. I thanked him for his service and he mumbled "there were a lot of fucking beaches" shook his head and walked away. None of us can ever fully understand the depth of pain, misery and heartache those boys were a part of.
              We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Eagles legend Chuck Bednarik as a B-24 gunner during WWII

Edit 4
                posted by Brandon Lee Gowton on Jun 07, 2014

Someone on r/NFL posted a picture of his grandfather (top right) in a military photo with Eagles Hall of Famer Chuck Bednarik (bottom left). Bednarik served in WWII as a waist gunner before he started his professional football career playing for the Eagles.

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
                  Eagles legend Chuck Bednarik as a B-24 gunner during WWII

Edit 4
                  posted by Brandon Lee Gowton on Jun 07, 2014

Someone on r/NFL posted a picture of his grandfather (top right) in a military photo with Eagles Hall of Famer Chuck Bednarik (bottom left). Bednarik served in WWII as a waist gunner before he started his professional football career playing for the Eagles.

I've been in a B-17. I have no idea how the hell Chuck was a waist gunner in one of those things. The fuselage is about 4 feet high.

Comment

Originally posted by Vet Turf View Post
                    The HBO series Band of Brothers did a pretty good job of letting you see/understand what WWII was about (at least for someone who has never been in the military). That era was just so different to what we've been lucky to benefit from and we aren't even the English who lived in fear every day of bombs and rockets for so many years.
                    Years ago when I was stationed in the U.K. for a tour, I'd go into the R.A.F clubs (similar to the VFW posts here) where I'd sit and drink with the British WW2 vets that were there. They'd have some good stories. Some were harrowing.

Growing up, my neighbor would regale me with stories from his service in the Pacific theatre. I did note that he was a former POW and breached the subject one day while mowing his lawn. His demeanor changed from cheerful to angry. Understandably, he refused to discuss anything related to that. He explicitly told me that the topic was off-limits from that point forward. I finished the job in silence.

Another good book and film was "Flags of Our Fathers". It was about Iwo Jima and the backstory to the iconic flag-raising photo. Clint Eastwood also produced a companion film called "Letters From Iwo Jima" which was from the Japanese vantage point.

Comment

I was at a sidewalk café in France while on liberty during a port visit in Toulon. A pretty young French girl walked over to ask me if I was American in nearly flawless English. I figured that this girl was local, and had seen many other American sailors in her town. I said yes, I am. She then extended her hand to shake mine, and told me that she was from Normandy, not Toulon. She said she'd never had the chance to meet an American before then, but she'd been to the cemeteries in Normandy many times. She offered thanks for the collective sacrifice of those brave men, then she crossed the street and boarded her bus. I was left speechless but humbled.

Comment

D Day and the courage it took for those guys to run out of those boats and jump out of those planes, just boggles my mind. I'm not sure I could've been trained to do it. I would have been the one throwing up on the landing craft or pissing myself. And that's not hyperbole...I just don't know how those guys did it.

they truly are the greatest generation and worthy of every last piece of credit they get.

and the same can be said of those that fought in Korea, Vietnam, and are in the trenches in Afghanistan and Iraq. These guys and gals are just studs and I don't think anybody understands what they go through until they are truly in that situation.
                        You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Some interesting comment guys. It's good to know that, in our small band of Bird lovers, the singular nature of the bravery and sacrifice of those involved in the Normandy invasion is both recognized and appreciated.

More than a few historians believe that had the invasion of Europe by the allies not taken place AND been successful in June, 1944, Germany may well have won the war in Europe. This conclusion is based largely on Germany's progress in the development of awesome military weapons, including rocketry and their own nuclear program. Had the invasion been postponed 6 months or a year (or failed) a victorious outcome for the Allies in Europe would have been much less likely.

Why? Even with the air superiority enjoyed by the Allies by mid-1944, the capacity to sustain that superiority required England (with it's airbases and pilots) to remain viable. Hitler, with access to increasingly powerful rockets capable of carrying conventional or even nuclear warheads and the capacity to deliver them throughout Europe, could well have meant the end for both war weary and weakened Great Britain and Russia. Without England as a staging area, there is no invasion of Europe. And without Russia attacking from the East, the US alone does not defeat Germany. Even assuming a defeat of the Japanese, the world would be a much different place.

Something to contemplate when think back to how very much we owe the the brave soldiers, sailors and airman from the US, Canada and England who took part in what was arguably the single largest and most important battle in history.

Comment

There were so many variables tino, number 1 probably being Hitler addicted to his "vitamin" shots that his personal physician was giving him. All that old footage shows him higher than a kite. And what if he left Russia alone? An invasion probably would have been impossible. The guy was mad and took on the whole world and it cost him. Sick stuff huh?

Comment

on the shit side of the 70th anniversary are all the attempts to profit on others misery. Commemorative this, anniversary that, for 3 payments of $39.95 you may obtain a once in a lifetime replica of this or that. People should be ashamed. Donate some freaking money to a veterans organization or sit down and spend some time with a vet instead of buying some low quality, mass produced piece of crap to make yourself feel better.

Comment

Working...
                              X