Game Observations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game Observations

I always watch the game twice so I will watch it again later but my initial reactions.

1. I thought Wentz looked fantastic today. The first half issue were less about him and more on Doug and the Defenses inability to get off the field.

2. Doug was not very good in the first half in his play calls. Too much behind the line of scrimmage plays, head scratching calls. However in the 2nd half he really stepped up his play calling.

3. The offensive line was terrific today. I don't think Wentz got hit more than 2 or 3 times.

4. The Eagles are absolutely loaded at RB but that is both a blessing and a curse. I thought they were shifting to much in the first half. They changed a bunch in the second half but it felt like it was less. Jordan Howard and Sanders should be the main backs. Sproles shouldn't be used as much.

5. DeSean is back baby. He was terrific today as was Alshon. Quiet game for Agholor but I think that is ok. On the 2nd touchdown to Jackson Agholor was wide open on the other side of the field the outcome could have been the same. Carson went to Jackson and that is fine.

6. Jim Schwartz is probably the most frustrating coordinator I have ever seen in this town. The defense this year is no different than last year or even the one that gave up 33 points and 600 yards in the Super Bowl. I call it a scared defense, a pussy defense, its certainly not an aggressive. The corners (doesn't matter who the corner is) playing 10 yards off on 3rd and 3's is just frusting. Now way no how can they come up and make that play. Its an easy pitch and catch for a first down. I am sick of it as I am sure a lot of you are. 27 points to a god awful Washington team is am embarrassment.

7. Derrick Barnett played like a guy who had no preseason playing time. Jumping offsides twice which cost us points today (Although its debatable on the field goal that probably would have been good from 53) I love Barnett and he was in the backfield a ton today but there is no excuse for that.

8. Sendejo needs to step up his play over the next couple of weeks. He is in danger of getting cut. Remember a 4th round pick is attached to him same with Forte. Howie isn't a fool. If these guys are hurting us they will be gone. Also, I have read up on the comp pick on Foles but I think that may not be a 3rd now that he will be out most of the year with the broken Clavicle.

9. Losing Malik Jackson is going to sting. Light at DT
    Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

What happened to Malik? WTF is Sproles in the game half of the time for? They drafted Sanders and signed Howard and Sproles comes back at the last minute and gets all the action? He's a punt returner period at this point in his career. He's also the slowest back on the roster. Come on Doug, wake up.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

I'm also thinking that Doug was too concerned with spreading the ball around in the first half to keep everybody happy. When he started dialing up Jackson and Alshon things started clicking.

Comment

Sorry guys but I like a lot of Sproles. And I don’t think the O Line was all THAT in the first half. I do want to see more of all 4 backs, Doug may have his reasons for the platoons, gotta go with him.

Comment

I think the only real difference in this team from the first and second half was they checked their jocks for a set of balls. I saw Kelce coming off the field at halftime and told my boys he was gonna raise some hell. Both lines got after it in the third and that decided the game IMO
          We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

-Barring injury, DJ is headed for a huge year with the big armed Wentz throwing to him. I was so excited when we signed him back. The chemistry is there and you can tell DJ is Wentz's favorite target already.

-Big V plays one freaking quarter and has 2 holding penalties. The 2nd one drove me nuts because it was just a running play up the middle with Howard and we were already blowing them off the ball. Stupid.

-Howard is going to be a nightmare when a defense is worn down. That was a crazy show of strength by him today.

-God I hope Malik is not going to miss much time. We have a terrific 3 man DT rotation right now.

-Big balls Doug came out today (2 point conversion). I love it.

-Poor Nick Foles. Broken clavicle and he is out for a while. Sometimes teams and players just get hit by bad luck. Maybe this is Carson's year for a little good luck.

-I called it earlier. Dallas has a damn good team and it is going to take a great effort to top them. Fortunately for us, they have a much more difficult schedule due to winning the division last year (Rams and Saints, we get Seahawks and Falcons).

-I cannot stand it when Schwartz lines up all his defensive backs along the first down marker on 4th and long. We never stop anyone like that, even though Schwartz insists it is playing the percentages.

-Only 1 sack on Case Keenum was surprising. Washington was pretty short handed on the OL.

-All in all, a great win considering the slow start and the way the team went into halftime on a down note.

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
              I think the only real difference in this team from the first and second half was they checked their jocks for a set of balls. I saw Kelce coming off the field at halftime and told my boys he was gonna raise some hell. Both lines got after it in the third and that decided the game IMO
              Yeah, they have been reading about how great they and found out that any team is good in the NFL as they got their asses kicked in the first half. Keenan was on fire.

Comment

Originally posted by Pliny View Post
                -I cannot stand it when Schwartz lines up all his defensive backs along the first down marker on 4th and long. We never stop anyone like that, even though Schwartz insists it is playing the percentages.
                I'm not a fan either, but we usually do get the stop. That awful one versus the Titans? last year is what sticks in the memory. The problem is on 3rd and 15 we often give up 13 or 14 yards, making a 4th down conversion very possible, and we have given those up which is extremely frustrating. He had modified the defense last year to have some intermediate guys to get on the short throws quicker, but didn't see that today.

Comment

I'm wondering why Hall didn't suit up today?

Comment

The O line brought it yesterday

The O line was very impressive yesterday but they were unreal on QB sneaks. The Skins knew it was coming yet Kelce and his boys knocked them back a good 3 yards Off the LOS both times they ran it. You never see that in a professional football game. That's power!

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                      The O line was very impressive yesterday but they were unreal on QB sneaks. The Skins knew it was coming yet Kelce and his boys knocked them back a good 3 yards Off the LOS both times they ran it. You never see that in a professional football game. That's power!
                      They were very good. There were a couple of run blitzs they missed on but for the most part they were flat out excellent

I watched the game again and Doug really deserves some credit for that first drive out of the half. He stuck with the run on that drive and forced the Redskins to play their safeties up. That really opened up the DeSean second TD but also the long pass to Ertz along the sideline. and some of the medium passing that Wentz had.

On the second TD to DeSean, Agholor was running free on the same route as DeSean just on the other side of the field. The Safety hesitated on which way to go and it opened them both up. Really cool design on that play, but also the pressure of what this offense speed can do.

Jordan Howard was really good, his yards after the carry were really impressive. Not only that for a player who they say can't catch the ball he made a nice catch on a "worm burner" from Wentz.
                      Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Yeah, I wonder if Agholor was pissed on that bomb that he didn't get the ball? I want more Howard and less Sproles to tell you the truth. That was a great catch on that dud from Wentz.

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
                          They were very good. There were a couple of run blitzs they missed on but for the most part they were flat out excellent

I watched the game again and Doug really deserves some credit for that first drive out of the half. He stuck with the run on that drive and forced the Redskins to play their safeties up. That really opened up the DeSean second TD but also the long pass to Ertz along the sideline. and some of the medium passing that Wentz had.

On the second TD to DeSean, Agholor was running free on the same route as DeSean just on the other side of the field. The Safety hesitated on which way to go and it opened them both up. Really cool design on that play, but also the pressure of what this offense speed can do.

Jordan Howard was really good, his yards after the carry were really impressive. Not only that for a player who they say can't catch the ball he made a nice catch on a "worm burner" from Wentz.
                          Agree with all of this. The second half offense is what I remember from 2017. Not sure we did that in any sustained manner last year, save maybe one of the Giants games. First half was ugly; hoping that was early-season rust and not indicative of game planning. There were some head-scratching play calls in the first half as well (that's on Doug); much better in the second.

Was reading about the second DeSean TD on theathletic.com. Apparently that was something they game planned for, when they got a zone look from that formation. Ertz said they knew before the snap where the ball was going and what the result was going to be. Don't think Agholor minded either though if Jackson was covered somehow he would have been laughably wide open.

Was definitely impressed by Howard. Don't think he had a bad run. Not sure why he didn't get more carries... several of Sproles' first half runs should have gone to Howard instead I think. And that catch on that low throw was nice; got a small gain out of poor execution from Wentz.

Comment

Sproles is great a picking up the blitz. And, he still has something in the tank. That 2 point conversion was crazy good.

I do have to say that Sanders did a fine job of picking up the blitzes for a young guy. And, Sanders had a nice TD run called back on a hold. But, I would like to see him spend more time on the bench right now and more Howard.

That last drive was a thing of beauty until big big V screwed it up with his 2nd hold of the drive. I am pretty certain Howard drags the skins into the end zone on that last drive if not for the penalty.

Comment

Also, Wentz sure does throw a nice deep ball and can zip it in there on the medium routes also. But, he does seem to have a little bit of trouble with his accuracy on the short touch passes sometimes (screens especially).

And, how awesome is it for Doug to let Carson run those QB sneaks. He is big and strong and those 4th and 1 first downs are almost automatic with him. I know it is more of an injury risk (not much though IMO). But, it is worth it.

Comment

Working...
                              X