No announcement yet.

Eagles Free Agents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

they aren't usually cheap either. Hicks isn't a typical MLB, he is more of a coverage MLB. He doesn't eat up RBs the way a TRUE MLB should. With those hogs up front, a MLB should be getting 10+ tackles a game.
    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
      All I'm trying to say is that if we were ok with those guys when Hicks went down, we would not have needed an Ellerbe. Look all I am saying is that with the LB's I have a "concern" that we may be thin-- talent wise not body wise. We may need an extra "starter" type, cause we all know Hicks is going down again.
      I see what you mean MD. The problem is that none of them can seem to stay healthy other than Bradham and that's why it was so important that we resign him. Hicks can't stay healthy and either can Kendricks usually except that he did hold up last year. The reason that Ellerbe was available is that he has never been able to stay healthy his whole career either. As I pointed out many times since our defense almost always only plays 2 of them at a time we probably are OK there. I'd say that LB should be our primary concern going into the draft but I hate to get away from BPA. I'd argue that we are no more short at linebacker than we are at safety right now. Good depth is hard to come by.

Ellerbe is head and shoulders over Walker and Goode. Walker plane out sucks and Ellerbee played about 40% of the time when he was able to play but of course he got hurt again this year and missed time in short time that he was here. I think that the reason he didn't play in the SB was that the Pats hardly ever run the ball so we rolled with 5 or 6 DBs the whole game.
      "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
        I see what you mean MD. The problem is that none of them can seem to stay healthy other than Bradham and that's why it was so important that we resign him. Hicks can't stay healthy and either can Kendricks usually except that he did hold up last year. The reason that Ellerbe was available is that he has never been able to stay healthy his whole career either. As I pointed out many times since our defense almost always only plays 2 of them at a time we probably are OK there. I'd say that LB should be our primary concern going into the draft but I hate to get away from BPA. I'd argue that we are no more short at linebacker than we are at safety right now. Good depth is hard to come by.

Ellerbe is head and shoulders over Walker and Goode. Walker plane out sucks and Ellerbee played about 40% of the time when he was able to play but of course he got hurt again this year and missed time in short time that he was here. I think that the reason he didn't play in the SB was that the Pats hardly ever run the ball so we rolled with 5 or 6 DBs the whole game.
        And you sorta make my point--- if Gerry or Kamu or anybody else currently on the team were not good enough to play when Hicks and Walker went down -- they went out and got and used Ellerbe. So I do worry a tiny bit about the talent level at LB.

Comment

And you sorta make my point--- if Gerry or Kamu or anybody else currently on the team were not good enough to play when Hicks and Walker went down -- they went out and got and used Ellerbe. So I do worry a tiny bit about the talent level at LB.
          Usually there's a big jump from year 1 to 2 (all 8 weeks of it this year-yikes!). We need Gerry or Kamu to make leap. Time for the kids to grow up. Walker never did though.

Comment

A little more on Corey Nelson for you MD

6 things to know about new Eagles linebacker Corey Nelson

Broncos perspective on the new Philly LB.
            By Brandon Lee Gowton and Tim Lynch Mar 16, 2018, 7:37am EDT

Kyle Terada-USA TODAY Sports
            In addition to re-signing Nigel Bradham, the Philadelphia Eagles signed a new linebacker this week: Corey Nelson.
            In order to better get to know the Eagles’ newest defender, I thought it’d benefit BGN readers to get a Denver Broncos perspective on Nelson. In order to do that, I reached out to Tim Lynch of Mile High Report. Here’s what he had to say.
            1 - Can you sum up Corey Nelson’s career in Denver?
            Corey Nelson was drafted in the seventh round of the 2014 NFL Draft and was a solid reserve player on defense. He was a critical part of the outstanding depth on defense that launched the Denver Broncos to their Super Bowl 50 championship. He played a lot of time as the Broncos third down linebacker as Todd Davis was a bit of a liability in coverage. His biggest impact game on special teams, so he should immediately help the Philadelphia Eagles in that area.
            2 - How did Broncos fans react to him leaving in free agency?
            Most of us felt that either way the ILB position was going to be a position of need. Nelson is a fine special teams player, but he hadn’t yet progressed beyond a third down coverage guy. You won’t need to worry about him making the team, though. He will add great depth on the defense even if he is limited on the number of downs he can play effectively.
            3 - What are his strengths?
            He is a quicker, cover linebacker. Not elite in that category, but that’s his strength on the field. He’s also an outstanding special teams gunner. He’ll make the tackle on the returner.
            4 - What are his weaknesses?
            He is a one-down linebacker. He needs to become a better run defender if he wants to become a three-down linebacker. At 25, he’s still pretty young, so the right kind of coaching could help him get there.
            5 - The Eagles are seemingly counting on him to play a rotational role at weak side linebacker in addition to having him contribute on special teams. Based on what you know from watching him play, do you think he’s suited for that?
            That is exactly how the Broncos used him. If he continues to develop, maybe he’ll be able to do more.
            6 - Anything to know about him off the field?
            Nothing bad. He tore his biceps muscle last season, so he is coming off an injury. Overall, the Eagles got solid depth on defense and a good starter on special teams.

Comment

Doesn't matter(but Hicks was first i think) my point being that they did not promote Gerry or Kamu-- they went out and got somebody else. Again i just have a small concern at LB, at least Kendricks we know, we don't know Nelson, Gerry or Kamu.
              Gerry and Kamu are not middle linebackers, they are smaller weak side backers. They both were safeties on college.

It kind of like saying when Wentz got hurt we should have moved Trey Burton to QB. They are different positions even if they both have the word linebacker there. Especially in the middle, you have to be big enough to bang with guards and centers.

Plus you need guys like Gerry and Kamu as special teams players.
              Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
                Gerry and Kamu are not middle linebackers, they are smaller weak side backers. They both were safeties on college.

It kind of like saying when Wentz got hurt we should have moved Trey Burton to QB. They are different positions even if they both have the word linebacker there. Especially in the middle, you have to be big enough to bang with guards and centers.

Plus you need guys like Gerry and Kamu as special teams players.
                That was what I was trying to say. You just said it better, Taz.
                Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

With that mountain Ngata in the middle Schwartz might go with no linebackers!

Comment

Maybe I am over stating it when I say we are thin at LB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is what I what made me think along those lines---

LB Bryan Braman - Returned late in the year to provide a boost on special teams.

LB Dannell Ellerbe - Another veteran insurance policy added in the latter half of the season, Ellerbe played key roles in the home-field-clinching win over Oakland and the Divisional Round victory over Atlanta.

LB Najee Goode - Provided quality depth on defense and special teams in his five seasons with the team. Finished tied for second with 10 special teams tackles in 2017. Started three games at linebacker.

Now throw in the possible loss of Kendricks as I keep hearing about and it makes me think we are a tad bit short... yes we can get some #'s but I have a concern about the talent level.

These guys are all unsigned and what we have added is only a 3rd down LB in Nelson.
                    Last edited by MDFAN; 03-16-2018, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Maybe I am over stating it when I say we are thin at QB.

Here is what I what made me think along those lines---

LB Bryan Braman - Returned late in the year to provide a boost on special teams.

LB Dannell Ellerbe - Another veteran insurance policy added in the latter half of the season, Ellerbe played key roles in the home-field-clinching win over Oakland and the Divisional Round victory over Atlanta.

LB Najee Goode - Provided quality depth on defense and special teams in his five seasons with the team. Finished tied for second with 10 special teams tackles in 2017. Started three games at linebacker.

Now throw in the possible loss of Kendricks as I keep hearing about and it makes me think we are a tad bit short... yes we can get some #'s but I have a concern about the talent level.

These guys are all unsigned and what we have added is only a 3rd down LB in Nelson.
                      I don't think any of those guys are very good quarterbacks.

Comment

[B][SIZE="2"]

I don't think any of those guys are very good quarterbacks.
                        Fixed, smart ass!

Comment

Fixed, smart ass!
                          Hey, you got me once today too!

Comment

[B]
                            Ellerbee was activated for the SB and had 3 snaps.
                            Wow, that’s only 3 more than I had in that game......
                            Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                            Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Originally posted by Jukin View Post
                              Wow, that’s only 3 more than I had in that game......
                              Hey I lobbied for ya Bro but Schwartz wouldn't go for it.

Comment

So MD point is that all linebacker positions are the same. How many different ways do we need to say that Gerry and Kamu are weak side linebackers. Hicks getting hurt had no bearing on their play as they were not and will not be middle linebackers.

Where I will agree is that we do need depth at middle linebacker as neither Hicks nor Walker can stay healthy

Braman could still be back.

Goode really is replaced by Nelson

Ellerbe is replaced by Hicks and Walker coming off IR

No concerns at all at those FA
                                Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Working...
                                X