Eagles gettin some national props.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nc, I thought we missed out on Fowler??
    http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by stevemc
      Since there are debates here as to the shrewdness of the FO - I'd bring up a # of moves that have put us where we are. Are they front line - big signing moves? No - but the little things keep us competitive while the big draft picks and free agent signings define the organization.

Trade AJ Feeley for a 2nd rounder (becomes Reggie Brown).

Trade Al Harris to Green Bay for an extra 2nd round pick (we trade our own 2nd round pick to move up to pick McDougle which was awful). The GB 2nd round pick becomes LJ Smith.

They've been shrewd in letting free agents go and getting compensatory picks that have turned into JR Reed, Omar Gaither, LaJuan Ramsey among others.

Trade Welbourn and in return got a 5th rounder (Thomas Tapeh) and 3rd rounder (Moats)

Traded James Thrash and got a 5th rounder in the form of Trent Cole

Trade Billy McMullen for Hank Baskett.

These weren't flashy moves but they provided a supporting cast that has kept the Eagles on their current plateau. I'm sure there are more examples but this came up in my research.
      I would add that they have done a nice job signing undrafted rookie FA's in recent years -- Rod Hood, Nick Cole, Jamaal Jackson, Greg Lewis and Quinton Mikell are among the guys they've added via that route.

And Juqua Thomas and Darwin Walker were very astute below-the-radar acquisitions as well -- Walker had been cut by the Cardinals and nobody expected anything of Thomas, a journeyman former Titan, when they brought him in.
      Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

Since there are debates here as to the shrewdness of the FO - I'd bring up a # of moves that have put us where we are. Are they front line - big signing moves? No - but the little things keep us competitive while the big draft picks and free agent signings define the organization.

Trade Al Harris to Green Bay for an extra 2nd round pick (we trade our own 2nd round pick to move up to pick McDougle which was awful). The GB 2nd round pick becomes LJ Smith.

They've been shrewd in letting free agents go and getting compensatory picks that have turned into JR Reed, Omar Gaither, LaJuan Ramsey among others.

Trade Welbourn and in return got a 5th rounder (Thomas Tapeh) and 3rd rounder (Moats)

These weren't flashy moves but they provided a supporting cast that has kept the Eagles on their current plateau. I'm sure there are more examples but this came up in my research.
        Nice moves indeed Steve. I wouldn't classify that Welbourn thing as shrewd though. Both those guys might not be with us come September. I'd take a loaf of bread for Moats.
        "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

e60 - you don't think Tapeh makes the squad? Hmm...interesting.

Comment

The only reason I'm thinking that is that they did bring in that Leonard kid. Andy does like those "hybrid type" FBs.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60
              The only reason I'm thinking that is that they did bring in that Leonard kid. Andy does like those "hybrid type" FBs.

i would be shocked if they drafted leonard on the first day. an FB or an H-back is hardly a priority for them right now. Eagles don't really even use an H-back.
              Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

They also have invested a ton in Tapeh in waiting for him to heal and they obviously think he was worth it. Haven't heard anything bad about Tapehs play, so I can't see them dumping him -- only to draft another guy that doesn't fit either spot.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN
                  Originally posted by nc
                  I think they rushed the Patterson deal just like they jumped all over Pinkston. patterson wasn't producing at a verging star level, and being merely productive shouldn't of induced a fairly expensive restructure. I don't see imminent Pro Bowler in his future, so locking him up before he hits seems risky given their cap space. Is is smart? It can be.
                  Didn't you sort of take them to task earlier for not taking more risk? Yet you characterize the Patterson move as risky?

IMO, you're right, it is a risk ---------- with a huge potential upside....... some risks work and others don't. But I can't judge Patterson on his contract, I try to judge him on his play and while not at an all pro level he has done ok AND has shown progress as each year has gone further on.
                  This shouldn't of been a risk, extending your own guys should be close to a no brainer. he's already under contract, he's not going anywhere anytime soon. They didn't have to resign him for being merely productive. That's not the kinda risk I was talking about.
                  Redskins Suck Ass

Comment

Originally posted by nc
                    I think they rushed the Patterson deal just like they jumped all over Pinkston. patterson wasn't producing at a verging star level, and being merely productive shouldn't of induced a fairly expensive restructure. I don't see imminent Pro Bowler in his future, so locking him up before he hits seems risky given their cap space. Is is smart? It can be.
                    He had led the entire Eagle DL over the last two years in tackles with 148...

He led all rookie DT in sacks with 3.5 in his rookie year...

He ranked #8 in sacks for all rookie defenders and #3 among DL in 2005..

He led all Eagle DL in tackles with 66 in 2005 and led all Eagle DT in tackles with 82 in 2006...

He started all 32 games in those two seasons...

How has he NOT produced??????????

Without him, we would have gotten hurt much worse the last 2 seasons than we did defensively IMO...you may not see a future PB player in him, but obviously the Eagles do and sorry but their track record seems a bit more successful...again in 3-4 years if he does continue to improve, we may be looking at DT getting insane $$ in FA and smile because we have a better one locked up...
                    Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

too much is made of the Mike Patterson extension, IMO. his contract has one year where there is a big cap hit -- in 2007, when his cap number is $6.7 million. after that, he will work cheaply for a long time. after this year, he's cheap labor against the cap for five years. that's a good deal for the Eagles.

Here are the year-by-year numbers:

Patterson signed a 7 year, 32.2 million dollar extension during the 2006 season that included a 4.5M signing bonus prorated over 5 years and 4.5M roster bonus in 2007. His cap numbers are as follows:

2007: $6,765,000 (543,750 base salary+540K proration+281,250 proration+900K proration+4.5M roster bonus; $6,063,750 dead money if cut)
                      2008: $2,306,250 (585K base salary+540K proration+281,250 proration+900K proration; $4,342,500 dead money if cut)
                      2009: $2,436,250 (715K base salary+540K proration+281,250 proration+900K proration; $2,621,250 dead money if cut)
                      2010: $2,000,000 (1.1M base salary+900K proration; $900,000 dead money if cut)
                      2011: $1,400,000
                      2012: $2,100,000
                      2013: $2,900,000
                      2014: $3,650,000
                      2015: $4,900,000
                      2016: $6,250,000

Comment

Nice moves indeed Steve. I wouldn't classify that Welbourn thing as shrewd though. Both those guys might not be with us come September. I'd take a loaf of bread for Moats.
                        E60, I really think the Welbourn thing revolved around his steroid use. I think they knew the real reason for his various angry outbursts and decided not to out him but simply to get whatever they could. Andy is decent that way. That said I was pleased with the progress Tapeh has showed coming back from his terrible injury. He has a possible long term future. Moats is a complete mystery.

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Dutchman

E60, I really think the Welbourn thing revolved around his steroid use. I think they knew the real reason for his various angry outbursts and decided not to out him but simply to get whatever they could. Andy is decent that way. That said I was pleased with the progress Tapeh has showed coming back from his terrible injury. He has a possible long term future. Moats is a complete mystery.[/quote

Good points Dutch. I think everybody respects Tapeh. Still, an upgrade is an upgrade if it happens.

Comment

Curtis will make deep impact

By KC Joyner
                            ESPN Insider
                            Archive

The marquee players such as Nate Clements and Adalius Thomas tend to get the most press coverage during the free-agent signing period, but the second-tier free agents are often just as important. Here are three second-tier free agents who could end up having just as big of an impact on their teams as Clements and Thomas.

Kevin Curtis -- Philadelphia Eagles
                            I do a weekly radio segment every Wednesday on ESPN Radio in Philadelphia and I've received a number of calls from Eagles fans angry at seeing Donte' Stallworth leave. Kevin Curtis will make those fans forget all about Stallworth. Take a look at Curtis' and Stallworth's respective metrics from last year:

Kevin Curtis
                            Depth Att Comp Yds TD INT Pen P-Yds YPA
                            Short 31 27 192 3 1 0 0 6.2
                            Medium 13 6 81 1 0 0 0 6.2
                            Deep 12 7 206 0 0 0 0 17.2
                            Total 56 40 479 4 1 0 0 8.6

Donte' Stallworth
                            Depth Att Comp Yds TD INT Pen P-Yds YPA
                            Short 34 21 192 1 1 0 0 5.6
                            Medium 17 6 123 0 0 0 0 7.2
                            Deep 21 11 410 4 0 0 0 19.5
                            Total 72 38 725 5 1 0 0 10.1

Stallworth's primary value to the Philadelphia offense was as a deep threat, but Curtis was nearly as effective on deep passes in 2006. This wasn't an anomaly, either; Curtis' deep pass yards per attempt was actually 2 yards better than Stallworth's in 2005 (12.2 to 10.2). His short pass YPA is much better than Stallworth's and his medium pass YPA history is just as good.

The Eagles' offense was dominant last year when Stallworth teamed up with Donovan McNabb early in the season. The prediction here is the Philadelphia offense should be just as dominant with Curtis and McNabb in 2007.

Nick Harper -- Tennessee Titans
                            It isn't often that a player gets better with age, but the metrics for Nick Harper suggest a player who is aging like a fine wine:

Nick Harper
                            Year Att Comp Yds TD INT Pen P-Yds YPA
                            2006 65 39 383 3 3 1 -10 5.7
                            2005 93 60 666 0 3 1 5 7.2
                            2004 115 71 988 7 3 5 61 9.1
                            Total 273 170 2037 10 9 7 56 7.7

Harper didn't get a lot of credit for being a good cornerback because he played in a Cover 2 zone defensive scheme. His history as a Cover 2 corner also raises the big question for Tennessee: Can Harper adjust to the Titans' pressure scheme that often leaves the cornerbacks in man coverage?

The metrics say Harper should be up to the task. I track whether a cornerback is in man or zone coverage on a play and Harper's man coverage metrics last year were solid. He allowed only 6.8 yards per attempt on the 28 man-coverage passes thrown his way, so he held up quite well overall. The only caveat I would make to this is that nine of the man-coverage completions against Harper went for 16 or more yards, so when he was beaten in man coverage, it often led to a fairly big play.

Ashley Lelie -- San Francisco 49ers
                            The 49ers were in desperate need of a deep receiving threat, after waiving Antonio Bryant on March 1, and they are looking for Lelie to fill that role.

Lelie has always had dominant vertical ability, but has been unable to fully realize those skills. In Denver, he had a coach in Mike Shanahan who wanted him to become an all-purpose receiver in the mold of Rod Smith, but that simply isn't Lelie's bailiwick.

He still put up dominant deep-pass YPA numbers with the Broncos in 2004 (17.4) and 2005 (10.9), despite being in Shanahan's doghouse for much of the season.

In Atlanta, Lelie's deep-pass YPA dropped to 8.8 yards, as he struggled in an offense that had passing problems across the board. Nevertheless, that figure wasn't that far behind Bryant's 10.9 deep-pass YPA last season, so Lelie doesn't have to improve much to give the 49ers just as good of a vertical threat.

KC Joyner, aka The Football Scientist, is a regular contributor to ESPN Insider. His latest release, Scientific Football 2007, is available for a special preorder price at his Web site.

Comment

Working...
                            X