High Definition TV (OT)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Definition TV (OT)

I am going to be buying a HD TV in the next week or 2. I want at least a 40" 1080 pi resolution. Right now I am leaning towards a Sharp Aquos or a Sony (Bravia?). Both of these are LCD and not plasma.

Any suggestions or help in this area would be greatly appreciated.
    Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

I have heard very good things about the Sharp Aquos and definitely feel LCD is vastly better than plasma IMO.

I trust Consumer Reports alot and they have several ratings and studies on LCD TVs...

See Here

If you want their ratings chart, I am a member and could send it to you...shoot me a PM if interested.
    Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

I hear (and this is from an editor at my old company) that Vizios are pretty good for the price.

Comment

I heard there was a "new" plasma coming out soon? Anybody?

Comment

I have a Sony 40" Bravia (LCD) and a Panasonic 42" Plasma. If you have a lot of direct sunlight go with an LCD, dark room go with a plasma. Both pictures are great!

Comment

And if you watch a lot of sports, forget LCD and get DLP.

Comment

I've got a Samsung DLP, and a Sharp Aquos.

The Aquos is.......phenomenal. Circuit City runs some pretty good deals, and IMO it blows away models costing 20% more. Sharp used to be like...a bargain/economy brand, but they have proven to me in this, and several other purchases over the last decade that their quality and value is unsurpassed. F RCA, Sony and many of the top brand "names" that have undelivered for me time and time again. Go with Sharp, you'll be glad you did.

FYI - I am similarly an Onkyo fan for audio.
              http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

All I watch is sports.

I haven't heard much about DLP so maybe you can explain a bit Erik.

The Sharp Aquos looks good. My room does get a lot of light in the daytime (Sunday afternoon football). I can close the blinds but light still gets in.
                Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

I've got a 47" Aquos and am more than pleased. I got a great deal on it at circuit city. I've also heard that dlp was the way to go but didn't see a whole lot out there when I was shopping. At the time I bought the Aquos, Sharp was the only LCD that you can replace the bulbs in. I don't know if that has changed recently but that was one of the things that put the Sharp over the top for me. Bought mine 9mos. ago.
                  Stand for the flag you assholes!

Eagles, Flyers Phillies fan since 1977. GO O'S!!

Comment

When it comes to TV's rspurr, I'm a Sony guy all the way.

I have a 42' Sony Wega HD and I love it.

Comment

Check out http://www.cnet.com I consult this site every time I buy electronics. They give you full specs, editors review, user reviews, etc. on almost every common electronic gadget.
                      Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

Originally posted by leifdawg
                        Check out http://www.cnet.com I consult this site every time I buy electronics. They give you full specs, editors review, user reviews, etc. on almost every common electronic gadget.
                        aka company I used to work for!

I've found that Toshibas are great TVs for less price than Sonys. Sony has great style and brand so they charge a bunch more.

Comment

Originally posted by sfphillyfan
                          Originally posted by leifdawg
                          aka company I used to work for!

I've found that Toshibas are great TVs for less price than Sonys. Sony has great style and brand so they charge a bunch more.
                          I concur. Toshibas are great. I also agree with Vin on the Vizios. A home entertainment magazine gave Vizio the highest marks for value.
                          "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

You used to work for cnet? What did you do?
                            Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

Mostly masturbated in my office. But once in a while, I'd do finance work.

Comment

Working...
                              X