'Bucko' Kilroy, 86, ex-Eagle all-pro, dies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Bucko' Kilroy, 86, ex-Eagle all-pro, dies

Francis "Bucko" Kilroy, 86, a Philadelphia native who became a six-time all-pro guard for the Eagles during a 13-season playing career in the 1940s and 50s, died yesterday.
    Mr. Kilroy, a graduate of North Catholic High, died in Stoughton, Mass., the New England Patriots said.

During a 64-season NFL career, including 36 years with the Patriots, Mr. Kilroy also worked in player personnel and scouting for the Eagles, Washington Redskins and Dallas Cowboys.

He was one of the founders of the NFL combine, and had been a scouting consultant for the Patriots the last 13 years. He was New England's general manager from 1979 to 1982, and vice president from 1983 to 1993.

Mr. Kilroy was elected to the Philadelphia Sports Hall of Fame last month.

If my memory of Eagles history is correct, Bucko was one of the best guards of his era and the one of the dirtiest players of his day. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    www.disciplerocks.com

Re: 'Bucko' Kilroy, 86, ex-Eagle all-pro, dies

RIP to a great old Eagle who played a key role in building the NFL into the colossus it is today.
    Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

Re: 'Bucko' Kilroy, 86, ex-Eagle all-pro, dies

One of my all-time favorite players. Bucko even played for the Steagles I believe and was a mainstay of the great teams of 47, 48 and 49. Heck at 245 lbs he was one of the biggest guys in football back then. He was a rock along the line with Bednarik in the 50s and was labeled the toughest and the dirtiest man in the NFL. Bucko, the time has passed all too fast. May you rest in peace big guy!

Comment

Working...
      X