Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name the only 2 Eagles 1st Rd Picks to Never Start a Game

Anyone ?
    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Derrick Barnett is one
    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
    Hope is not a strategy
    RIP

Comment

Marcus Smith is probably one. And Watkins may not have started a game--not sure
      Hope is not a strategy
      RIP

Comment

Should have started that with exEagle players
        We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
          Marcus Smith is probably one. And Watkins may not have started a game--not sure
          I thought they just plugged Watkins in from the start...until Mudd realized he was an unsalvagable pussy.

Comment

Yea he probably did start a few games.
            Hope is not a strategy
            RIP

Comment

How about Jon Harris?
              "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Jerome MacDougle and Marcus Smith

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
                  Jerome MacDougle and Marcus Smith
                  All McDougle did was take out the Freak and ruin his career. That makes him the worst pick ever, never mind what round he was taken. He was a far worse pick than Marcus Smith. I wish the bastard was never born.
                  "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

W
                    Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                    All McDougle did was take out the Freak and ruin his career. That makes him the worst pick ever, never mind what round he was taken. He was a far worse pick than Marcus Smith. I wish the bastard was never born.
                    Does anyone know if E60 was in Florida when mcdougle was shot?

Comment

Kevin Allen. I think Buddy said all he was good for is providing shade on the practice field. Or something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Rossovich View Post
                        Kevin Allen. I think Buddy said all he was good for is providing shade on the practice field. Or something like that.
                        I remember reading a story with an unnamed source saying that they "would call him (Allen) a tool but that would imply usefulness." I always loved that line after that.
                        Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                        Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Originally posted by Rossovich View Post
                          As a first-round pick, I think he was the starter at the beginning of the year. Didn't last long. Kind of like Danny Watkins I guess.

Per this old article, he actually held out until the last week of preseason. He then was the starter going against Lawrence Taylor early in the season... which was basically the end for Jaworski. Allen was benched after that.

Apparently Allen even showed up to new coach Buddy Ryan's training camp the next year overweight (leading to some of Ryan's colorful quotes). He got himself more in shape, but was still cut -- and convicted of rape shortly thereafter.

Looks like McDougle was the other one besides Smith who never started. He of course was shot, so he probably had to earn his way back after that, which didn't happen. I didn't realize McDougle turned 25 years old his rookie year -- bit old for a college player, which probably helped him look good to the scouts. Barnett just turned 21.

Smith and McDougle were probably better players than Allen/Watkins, but sometimes having nobody good on the roster is why those latter guys could start. Both Smith and McDougle had good players in front of them already on the roster, who they were going to hopefully replace down the line rather than start immediately, but that didn't happen. Still, both were bad picks.

Comment

Thanks Fair Oaks. I really thought McDougle started a few games. I wasn't sure about Allen but I did remember Buddy's disdain (hatred?) for him.

Comment

Working...
                            X