My surprise "make" for this year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My surprise "make" for this year

Everyday I read something good about Marcus Johnson, a wr who was on last year's practice squad. Stranger things have happened and I'm going with him. Absolutely no idea yet on my surprise cut this year.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

I will go with the TE Billy Brown as my surprise make the team guy.

Comment

I think TE is virtually locked down -- the third TE better be able to block and play special teams, and not sure that Brown is that guy. He seems more likely a practice squad guy.

Johnson could make it. I would think that Jeffery, Smith, Matthews, Agholor, and Hollins are locks. That could leave one WR spot left. At this point, sure sounds like Johnson is ahead of Gibson.

Comment

Originally posted by FairOaks View Post
        I think TE is virtually locked down -- the third TE better be able to block and play special teams, and not sure that Brown is that guy. He seems more likely a practice squad guy.

Johnson could make it. I would think that Jeffery, Smith, Matthews, Agholor, and Hollins are locks. That could leave one WR spot left. At this point, sure sounds like Johnson is ahead of Gibson.
        I understand your rationale but Im not sure Trey Burton is a guaranteed lock. He is pretty close but if Brown can show something during the fake games then I am not sure. Practice Squad is a definite possibility but based on reports he wont be on there for long

Comment

Originally posted by RobLew65 View Post
          I understand your rationale but Im not sure Trey Burton is a guaranteed lock. He is pretty close but if Brown can show something during the fake games then I am not sure. Practice Squad is a definite possibility but based on reports he wont be on there for long
          I think that the Birds are committed to Burton for some inexplicable reason Rob. Seeing as though he signed a second round tender I'm assuming that his contract is guaranteed but I'm not positive. I think Brown's got a shot too but 4 TEs is pretty rare.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
            I think that the Birds are committed to Burton for some inexplicable reason Rob. Seeing as though he signed a second round tender I'm assuming that his contract is guaranteed but I'm not positive. I think Brown's got a shot too but 4 TEs is pretty rare.
            Yea 4 TEs would a bit much. Your pick of Johnson is looking better and better everyday though!

Comment

Yea 4 TEs would a bit much. Your pick of Johnson is looking better and better everyday though!
              The camp reports seem to indicate that. Of course Gowton might just be prejudice too. He mentioned that Wentz threw a perfect 30 yard pass between two defenders to Matthews that that he naturally dropped yesterday. It sounds like you've been following on BGN too Rob. The former QB at Houston Ward sounds promising too. He was a great player in college and I think that they only lost a handful of games when he was there. He might give you what Gibson does but can actually catch the ball. I know that our receivers will be much better this year but to tell you the truth we were so bad last year that all we are doing is really catching up to the other teams in the league. I know that we are better than last year but so is every other team in the league too. We sure aren't going to start 4-1 like last year but the team should be better. I'm not sure our record is going to show that though.

Comment

Yes I have been following pretty closely. I like the reports on Ward,Johnson and Brown. Don't like the reports on Gibson. Clearly the WRs are better but like you said its all relative. I am hoping with a decent core maybe we can run the ball more effectively. Nothing helps a young QBs development more than sound running game.

Comment

Although I haven't been able to follow things as closely lately, I have to say that the things I've heard about Ward and Johnson are encouraging. I could see either as a surprise make. Johnson has the size/speed, and seems to use it well.

Comment

Trey Burton is a guaranteed lock. They love Trey Burton. They didn't give him a 2nd round tender to cut him in favor of an undrafted free agent. However, I'm not sure that Burton being a lock matters. Billy Brown is still a good "surprise make" IMHO. Here's why: Burton and Celek are only here through this season. After 2017, the only TE under contract is Zach Ertz. If they begin to think highly enough of Billy Brown as a possible 2nd string TE, they may want to carry him as their 53rd man.

Comment

Working...
                    X