Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Less NFL viewing-What's your vote

Survey: Protests top reason NFL ratings dipped

National anthem protests were the top reason that NFL fans watched fewer games last season, Darren Rovell of ESPN reports. This according to a new survey released by J.D. Power.

The pollster said it asked more than 9,200 people who attended either one football, basketball or hockey game whether they tuned into fewer games and why. Twenty-six percent of those who watched fewer games last season said that national anthem protests, some of which were led by Colin Kaepernick, were the reason.

After that, 24 percent of those surveyed who said they watched fewer games said they did so either because of the league's off-the-field image issues with domestic violence or with game delays, including penalties.

One in five (20 percent) listed excessive commercials and advertising as a reason, something the NFL is seeking to address by moving around traditional ad blocks.

Sixteen percent said it was because of their interest being replaced by the 2016 presidential election coverage.

Five percent said they watched fewer games because they got rid of cable.

J.D. Power noted that only 12 percent of the fans it surveyed said they watched fewer NFL games last season, with 27 percent of people saying they watched more and 62 percent saying they watched just as much as they had the season before.

The NFL did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

26% because of Kaperdicks protest ? (which was copied by a few others). That's a huge number. It literally translates to dollars. Although, I don't think the tv contracts are going to be refunded by the number. But it does seem influence NFL teams staying away from him.

Comment

yea, 26% seems like a high number. Hell go get a beer and when you come back the game is on
      Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
      Hope is not a strategy
      RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
        yea, 26% seems like a high number. Hell go get a beer and when you come back the game is on

12% said they watched fewer games. 26% of that 12% said protests were why. So that's maybe 2-3% of the overall audience. Seems a more reasonable number.

Comment

I don't really buy the protest thing but that's just me. I think 90% is because the quality of the product has declined. Too many stoppages and poor quality if officiating are the most glaring issues.
          Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

Instant replay and listening to a has been , hack ex ref and a far too many commercials and let's face it, the prime time matchups usually suck
            We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
              Instant replay and listening to a has been , hack ex ref and a far too many commercials and let's face it, the prime time matchups usually suck
              I really think that it's the commercials MM. They don't even show much of the replays anymore, they just go to a commercial until they come to a decision. Heck I've been in sports bars where every game is being televised and they are all on commercials. You wonder how these players can concentrate because they are standing there waiting for 3 minutes for a commercial to get over. The momentum gets broken right after your team makes a big stop and gets the ball back.
              "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

1. I no longer put much faith in polls since forever, but especially since the election.

2. If I had to choose( if viewership is really down) it would be DVR's, momentum stoppers(commercials, too many and too long official reviews).

3. Oversaturated with Thurs, Sunday day , night, Monday night so on.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
                  1. I no longer put much faith in polls since forever, but especially since the election.

2. If I had to choose( if viewership is really down) it would be DVR's, momentum stoppers(commercials, too many and too long official reviews).

I agree with this. But poor match ups as well during prime time is definitely a factor.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                    I really think that it's the commercials MM. They don't even show much of the replays anymore, they just go to a commercial until they come to a decision. Heck I've been in sports bars where every game is being televised and they are all on commercials. You wonder how these players can concentrate because they are standing there waiting for 3 minutes for a commercial to get over. The momentum gets broken right after your team makes a big stop and gets the ball back.
                    I would definitely agree with this thought process.

Think about this, the actual timing of the game is 60:00, but I recall a friend who sat there with a stop watch and figured out that the amount of actual football action that occurred was less than 20 minutes. Now, throw that on to a 3 1/2 hour broadcast and you can see where people would get turned off from the games.

Personally, if its not the Eagles playing a decent game, I'll tune out after an hour. And if its other teams, I imagine other viewers do the same.

Comment

I will watch the Eagles game to the end even if they are getting blown out. I will also watch the NFC East get destroyed because of the hatred of the other 3 teams. But any other team I am turning it off. For me I use to enjoy watching the pre-game shows but now I only turn the game on at kick off.

Comment

Originally posted by RobLew65 View Post
                        I will watch the Eagles game to the end even if they are getting blown out. I will also watch the NFC East get destroyed because of the hatred of the other 3 teams. But any other team I am turning it off. For me I use to enjoy watching the pre-game shows but now I only turn the game on at kick off.
                        The only time I watch a pregame show is like the first game of the season or if I happen to see they are doing a feature on the Birds. They have way to many people I hate on their shows. Now if someone told me Michael Irvin would be taking a 50 cal round to the temple I would be host a party to watch. Must see tv!!!!
                        We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

I agree on the oversaturation theory. It used to be, Sunday was football. Period. There was usually a great matchup on Mon nights, and then you waited for next Sunday. Now there are NFL games 4 days out of 7 during the season. Add to that the NFL Network, 24x7 news coverage, etc, and its just too much.
                          I once read a book by a rock performer who said it was better to leave them wanting more, rather than be Foghat and playing near you every other week. At some point you just go, "Foghat, again? Nah, saw em last 3x they were here".

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post

This is dead on for me. I rarely watch games live because I have a 10 year old son who still likes to do things with me and he's only going to be here for a very short time. I'm not missing that for anything! So I DVR the games and watch them at night. The funny thing is that when I do get to see a game live I really miss the ability to fast forward through commercials and he B.S. parts. The second reason I tend to watch less now is because of the far too frequent crap games. The league has way too many prime time games to make it a special game opportunity now. They need to drop the Thursday night games for certain and reduce the Sunday night games to 1 per week.
                            Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                            Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Originally posted by Jukin View Post
                              This is dead on for me. I rarely watch games live because I have a 10 year old son who still likes to do things with me and he's only going to be here for a very short time. I'm not missing that for anything! So I DVR the games and watch them at night. The funny thing is that when I do get to see a game live I really miss the ability to fast forward through commercials and he B.S. parts. The second reason I tend to watch less now is because of the far too frequent crap games. The league has way too many prime time games to make it a special game opportunity now. They need to drop the Thursday night games for certain and reduce the Sunday night games to 1 per week.
                              I'm the same way except mine son is 13 and very very close to ignoring me altogether.

Monday night games became crappy when owners like the Browns, Bengals and Cards started bitching that their teams were never on. So the NFL decided to appease everyone and turned MNF into a shit product.

I also agree with the oversaturation- scarcity of a product always works in its favor.

Comment

Working...
                              X