Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is moving Dillard to the right a smart move?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is moving Dillard to the right a smart move?

I know there are limited options with Johnson out and Dillard has a lot more upside than Big V, but starting a rookie at a new position where he literally has to do everything in reverse from the way he has done it his entire career, against one of the very best DEs in the league, in a must-win game seems like a recipe for disaster.

I don’t know that Valapuol-however-you-spell-it will fare much better against Clowney, but he has a lot of experience on that side and has played against top ends before, so he really is a better option than Dillard. I also realize that Clowney is not having the same impact he did a few years ago, but coming off his best game of the year his confidence has to be high and facing a rookie at a new position must have him drooling for a chance to reset his season.

I’m worried that Dillard will not only struggle with the position, but we risk injuries that we don’t need to risk. He likely will be schooled to the point where he may take significant steps backwards in his development - especially if (I don’t want say it in case the football gods are listening) but if a certain key player ends up unable to play next week because of a Dillard mistake, it could set the line back months if not years. Peters needs to hang it up after this season so having Dillard ready to take over on the left side next Fall is critical. Moving him to a new position against Clowney is not the way to get him ready for that IMO.
    Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
    Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Yea I don't know that I would do that. If he had been practicing at all (other than this week) it might make sense but we have been told all along he is concentrating on the left. If he had played RT in college a little it might make sense but, supposedly, he hasn't played any position other than LT since he was 14.
    V isn't great but he hasn't been a bad backup for the team.
    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
    Hope is not a strategy
    RIP

Comment

Have you guys been watching V this year when he has played? And you're worried about somebody else getting him killed? The guy is about as useless as tits on a bull.
      "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

60 Big V may be struggling too but he has to be a better choice than a rookie playing a new position for the first time ever. Besides we are going to see them both in the game together, its just a matter of when JP takes himself out of the game. Has Peters made it through an entire game yet this year? I would feel better letting the kid play his natural spot and only need to focus on one matador today!
        Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
        Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

If Pete gets a cramp or some other minor injury will they move Dillard from right to left or put V in at left???? I understand Dillard is a better player and certainly has far greater future but today I think I would go with Juk; not in that way of course(NTTIAWWT)
          Hope is not a strategy
          RIP

Comment

Dillard compared the move to right tackle as being right handed and having to write left handed. If he doesn’t get injured, it will be a pleasant surprise to me.

Comment

Good call Jukin
              Hope is not a strategy
              RIP

Comment

Moving LT to LG would be easier. This is like learning to play tennis with your other hand in a week.
                You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Peters said he went to coaches and said he would play right tackle to keep Dillard comfortable at LT. another fail by Doug
                  Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
                    Peters said he went to coaches and said he would play right tackle to keep Dillard comfortable at LT. another fail by Doug
                    Coaching issues. That has been a consistent theme since Groh took over at OC.

Not going blame this on Groh but who cares ! Groh stinks and he needs to go!

Comment

The offense went downhill Rob as soon as Reich and Defilippo left. The chain reaction that followed is a disaster. Groh coached the wide receivers and did a terrific job and Flip was working with Wentz and we are seeing the effects of those 2 loses now. Groh was an wide receiver coach who turned things around after years of futility here and Wentz was spectacular. Those coaches leaving started a chain reaction that we haven't recovered from.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                        The offense went downhill Rob as soon as Reich and Defilippo left. The chain reaction that followed is a disaster. Groh coached the wide receivers and did a terrific job and Flip was working with Wentz and we are seeing the effects of those 2 loses now. Groh was an wide receiver coach who turned things around after years of futility here and Wentz was spectacular. Those coaches leaving started a chain reaction that we haven't recovered from.
                        So it is pass time to fall on sword and start over. Get rid of Groh and hire a guy who knows how to utilize talent or lack thereof. Get QB coach . Hell I'd make McNown the QB coach. Get a new WR coach.

Comment

Originally posted by RobLew65 View Post
                          So it is pass time to fall on sword and start over. Get rid of Groh and hire a guy who knows how to utilize talent or lack thereof. Get QB coach . Hell I'd make McNown the QB coach. Get a new WR coach.
                          Guys never go backwards and that is a shame because Groh is a great receiver coach. Nobody wants to be told that you’re just a position coach. He will have too much pride to take the demotion here but he won’t get an OC job anywhere else and will end up somewhere else as a receiver coach. Too bad.

Comment

Working...
                          X