Can Aaron Moorehead be the one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Aaron Moorehead be the one?

Report: Eagles hire Aaron Moorehead as their sixth wide receivers coach since 2015
    Will he manage to last more than one season?

By Brandon Lee Gowton@BrandonGowton Feb 6, 2020, 11:46am EST

The Philadelphia Eagles are hiring Vanderbilt wide receivers coach Aaron Moorehead as their new wide receivers coach, according to a report from PhillyVoice’s (and BGN Radio’s own) Jimmy Kempski.

The Eagles’ interest in Moorehead was first reported by ESPN’s Tim McManus last week. Here’s what we wrote at the time.

“Moorehead played college football at Illinois before signing with the Indianapolis Colts as an undrafted rookie free agent in 2003. He remained with Indy through 2007, so he was part of the Colts’ Super Bowl team in 2006. Moorehead finished his five-year NFL playing career with 31 receptions for 330 yards and one touchdown in 36 games played.

Moorehead transitioned to coaching in 2009. A snapshot of his experience:

New Mexico (2009) — Graduate assistant

Stanford (2010–2012) — Graduate assistant

Virginia Tech (2013–2014) — Wide receivers coach

Texas A&M (2015–2017) — Wide receivers coach

Vanderbilt (2018-present) — Wide receivers coach

Moorehead has a track record of helping to develop players, as noted in his Vanderbilt bio:

In 2019, two of Moorehead’s receivers — senior Kalija Lipscomb and redshirt freshman Cam Johnson — posted more than 30 receptions.

In Moorehead’s first year at Vanderbilt, he mentored Lipscomb to one of the finest seasons ever by a Commodore. Lipscomb posted 87 receptions and 916 receiving yards, both among the top totals in team history. Lipscomb finished his career ranking among Vanderbilt’s all-time top-10 with 198 catches, 2,356 receiving yards and 22 touchdowns.

A young receiver, freshman CJ Bolar posted 34 receptions for 440 yards and two scores in 2018.

Moorehead came to West End after serving as wide receivers coach at Texas A&M for three seasons.

At Texas A&M, Moorehead helped develop one of the SEC’s most exciting players of recent years in Christian Kirk. In his three years on the College Station campus, Kirk amassed 234 receptions, good for 2,856 yards and 26 touchdowns.

In addition to Kirk, Moorehead developed Josh Reynolds into a standout receiver at Texas A&M. As a junior and senior in 2015-16, Reynolds posted 112 catches, 1,946 receiving yards and 17 touchdowns. Both Kirk and Reynolds are now playing in the NFL: Kirk as a second-round pick of the Arizona Cardinals; and Reynolds as a fourth-round selection of the Los Angeles Rams.

The Eagles previously hired a college wide receivers coach — North Carolina’s Gunter Brewer — in 2018 and that didn’t work out so well. He was gone after just one year with the team as receivers regularly struggled to line up correctly. A key difference between Brewer and Moorehead, though, is that the latter actually played in the NFL.

At the very least, Moorehead seems like a candidate worth interviewing. In addition to his player development experience, he could potentially bring some fresh ideas to Philly’s offense. The Eagles have previously had their wide receivers coach assist in game planning (ex: Mike Groh spent time on third downs in 2017). The Eagles signaled interest in incorporating college concepts by interviewing USC offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Graham Harrell for their OC job before he turned them down. So, maybe Moorehead can be the Eagles’ consolation prize in that regard?”

Moorehead is the latest reported addition to the Eagles’ coaching staff. Wednesday brought news that Philadelphia is hiring former Denver Broncos offensive coordinator Rich Scangarello and former Mississippi State passing game coordinator/quarterbacks coach Andrew Breiner to Doug Pederson’s ranks. This was in addition to Eagles quarterbacks coach Press Taylor getting a bump with “passing game coordinator” added to his title.

With these hires, the Eagles have clearly at least made an effort to add new perspective and ideas to their offense. That’s encouraging to see.

One can only hope the Moorehead hire works out when it comes to the Eagles getting good production out of their receivers. Adding more talent to the position is obviously a necessity. Ideally he’ll be able to do a good job and break the streak of Eagles wide receiver coaches not lasting more than one season since 2015. Previous one-and-dones include: Bob Bicknell (fired), Greg Lewis (fired), Mike Groh (promoted to offensive coordinator before being fired this offseason), Gunter Brewer (fired), and Carson Walch (fired).
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Never know where a talented coach will come from so here is wishing them the best. I'm a little curious why a guy would go from T A&M to Vanderbilt working the same position. Doesn't seem like a step up.
    I think the birds can use some experienced coaching but it seems they either don't want those guys or those guys don't want the Eagles so let's go with what we have
    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
    Hope is not a strategy
    RIP

Comment

Of ALL the SEC schools to recruit, how do we land on Vandy?

Comment

This is a curious hire. The guy had a weak pro-career, he averaged 1 catch per game for roughly 10 yards over a 5 year career. To put that into perspective he averaged just 1 more catch per game than MD Fan had during the same period. He also didn’t light up the coaching ranks, never staying more than 3 years in any one place and left three times for the same position at another school rather than moving up in the coaching ranks or to more prestigious schools. I hope he is really the hidden gem the Eagles think he is, but I’m skeptical and disappointed that we didn’t land a proven coach that gives us hope to get these guys to reach their potential. I am starting to see a trend of second tier coaching moves and questionable judgement by this staff. I honestly want to be wrong here, but the Eagles are going to have to prove it to me.
        Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
        Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Yeah but I still averaged 15 yards.

Comment

Originally posted by Jukin View Post
            This is a curious hire. The guy had a weak pro-career, he averaged 1 catch per game for roughly 10 yards over a 5 year career. To put that into perspective he averaged just 1 more catch per game than MD Fan had during the same period. He also didn’t light up the coaching ranks, never staying more than 3 years in any one place and left three times for the same position at another school rather than moving up in the coaching ranks or to more prestigious schools. I hope he is really the hidden gem the Eagles think he is, but I’m skeptical and disappointed that we didn’t land a proven coach that gives us hope to get these guys to reach their potential. I am starting to see a trend of second tier coaching moves and questionable judgement by this staff. I honestly want to be wrong here, but the Eagles are going to have to prove it to me.
            Juk, you really can't compare stats when you talk about MD. He's so freaking fast that he draws 3 defenders to him wherever he lines up and totally opens up not only the other receivers but also the running game. Personally, I'm shocked that a top level talent evaluator like yourself can overlook this.
            "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Sorry 60, I should have realized my mistake but in my defense, I was drunk when I wrote that! All kidding aside, my point was that Moorehead barely had a career at all as a receiver and really doesn’t seem to have been very successful as college coach. An argument could be made based on his coaching resume that questions his competence as a coach. Obviously I don’t know a fraction of what it takes to be a WR coach at the pro level, so the Eagles get the benefit of the doubt. But on paper he looks like a shell of a player Greg Lewis was and we know how that turned out for the Eagles.
              Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
              Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

what's the old saying ? Those who can't play, coach ?
                We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
                  Yeah but I still averaged 15 yards.
                  We weren’t gonna mention the illegal procedure and holding penalties lol

Comment

Juk you are going in the same direction as I am thinking. Maybe these names will be the great names in coaching in ten years but for right now it sure looks to me like Doug had to settle for some coaches rather than getting guys who are eager to coach with him
                    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                    Hope is not a strategy
                    RIP

Comment

I think the Vandy connection has to be Jordan Matthews and/or Pat Shurmur. Shurmur's kid was the QB there I think.

JMatts issue was NEVER not knowing how to play the position. He just was not really that good. So I got zero problem with hiring this guy.
                      You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Working...
                      X