Let's see if I have this right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's see if I have this right?

- WAPO reports that Trump boasts to his Russian pals about "the great intelligence I get" and proceeds to reveal top secret information that had been developed and provided to us by an unnamed country's intelligence service that had assets with access to ISIS.

- Last night, HR McMaster, one of the few members of this administration that still has any credibility, is sent out to quash the story. He says essentially, 'This is a false report. I was in the room. It didn't happen. Nothing to see here.'

- This morning Trump cuts the legs out from under McMaster and tweets that, as President, he has the 'absolute right' to reveal any information he sees fit.

I'm sure our allies and intelligence partners will be lining up to share further key intelligence information with us that this impulsive, man-child can then blurt out to whoever he chooses.

-

Well, I can't say anything I've seen reported is illegal. But I can say I believe the terms bumbling and stumbling describe the start of the administration for me.
    Working for him can't be easy as I think one is always wondering what the next "foot in mouth" event will be.
    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
    Hope is not a strategy
    RIP

Comment

Originally posted by tinopuno View Post
      - WAPO reports that Trump boasts to his Russian pals about "the great intelligence I get" and proceeds to reveal top secret information that had been developed and provided to us by an unnamed country's intelligence service that had assets with access to ISIS.

- Last night, HR McMaster, one of the few members of this administration that still has any credibility, is sent out to quash the story. He says essentially, 'This is a false report. I was in the room. It didn't happen. Nothing to see here.'

- This morning Trump cuts the legs out from under McMaster and tweets that, as President, he has the 'absolute right' to reveal any information he sees fit.

I'm sure our allies and intelligence partners will be lining up to share further key intelligence information with us that this impulsive, man-child can then blurt out to whoever he chooses.

-
      Maybe both McMaster and Trump were both right? Maybe nothing was even true was leaked and Trump had one of his little hissy fits over it. Strange stuff is going on. I'll say this about other countries laughing at us. We've laughed at Europe and the rest of the world for a long time too. The news is a lot more interesting than it used to be anyway, and like him or not Trump is making those channels a lot of money. Businessman that he is he'll probably ask for his cut. I think the term "classified information" was used instead of "top secret" which I suppose could mean anything. Who the heck is leaking out this stuff? King Trump sure gets a lot of crap. Then again he sure gives it too.

"Don't change the dial
      Leave it on the station
      We're gonna have
      Another dedication
      Oh yeah, yeah, yeah!!
      "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Yeah I can't splain a lot of this stuff.

I think the war between the media and Trump has a lot to do with this, these leaks must stop but I think the "swamp" is winning right now.

How sad it is when it seems "fashionable" to outwardly resist a president who was elected to make change. Sad.

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
          Well, I can't say anything I've seen reported is illegal. But I can say I believe the terms bumbling and stumbling describe the start of the administration for me.
          Working for him can't be easy as I think one is always wondering what the next "foot in mouth" event will be.

There seems to be general agreement that the President has the legal right to declassify and share classified information developed by our security agencies. There is a question whether the President has the right to declassify and disclose information developed/provided by an intelligence partner without prior permission. But the key question, of course, bears on Trump's judgement and motive in revealing highly classified information to an adversary who's interests generally run counter to ours.

I just finished watching McMaster's brief press conference. He confirmed or conceded several interesting points:
          - Trump made the decision to disclose the information "in the context of the meeting" without having reviewed plans to do so with anyone prior to the meeting
          - Tom Bossert, Senior Homeland Security Advisor, was sufficiently concerned about the sensitivity of the disclosed information that he contacted both the CIA and NSA immediately following the meeting to review the disclosure. (McMaster, Bossert's superior, claimed not to know why Bossert had made these contacts)
          - Trump didn't know that the source of the intelligence was not an American agency. (Information that would be provided in the daily security briefings that informed Presidents prior to Trump but which he frequently skips and gets a one page bullet summary instead)

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
            I think the term "classified information" was used instead of "top secret" which I suppose could mean anything.
            From current and previous intelligence officials, with respect to the information disclosed to the Russians, I've heard the terms "highly classified" and "Secret Code Word Classified". Code Word Classification is actually a further restriction on Top Secret classification. (see below)

Code Word classifications

Top Secret is the highest level of classification. However some information is compartmentalized by adding a code word so that only those who have been cleared for each code word can see it. This information is also known as "Sensitive Compartmented Information" (SCI). A document marked SECRET (CODE WORD) could only be viewed by a person with a secret or top secret clearance and that specific code word clearance. Each code word deals with a different kind of information. The CIA administers code word clearances.[16]

Comment

I understand where you were going tino and I agree his judgement in many areas is risky at best. But I will tell you his authority to provide information, classified or not, to others in the context of his duties is virtually unlimited. There will be nothing "illegal" here but certainly it is questionable. There is little doubt he was not prepared to be president when he took office. He didn't have the background in government. The problem for him however is he goes his own way thinking he can do what he wants. But I have noticed that he learns from things and wouldn't expect him to make this mistake again. He needs to learn to check with is people before saying or tweeting things.
              Up until a few years ago I had a Top Secret SCI clearance. Trust me in that it sounds far more important than it is. There is LOTS of information that is compartmented. But there is another little tag that goes on classified information. NOFORN means the information may not be distributed to foreign governments. As an example I had many classified documents I could share with the Greeks or the Spaniards, or whoever. But docs that were classified Secret NOFORN for example could not be shared. So I would be curious if this information was earmarked NOFORN.

MD not sure why you would think it is just now a fashionable thing. Many would say Obama was elected to bring change to the country (that whole hope and change thingy) and there was plenty of outward resistance to his agenda. So the resistance isn't new. I myself still wonder what the hope and change was supposed to be. Many would also say that most of the country wasn't in favor of the Trump changes since most voted for other candidates. But I would have to say that is quibbling since he won the electoral vote.
              Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
              Hope is not a strategy
              RIP

Comment

There's more action here than on the Eagles board. Now I'm really starting to get pissed!

Comment

There's more action here than on the Eagles board. Now I'm really starting to get pissed!
                  Then get ready to be even more pissed...

NYT/NBC has just announced there is a Feb 14th contemporaneous memo from Comey stating that Trump asked him to "end the Michael Flynn investigation". In that the meeting allegedly took place in the Oval Office, if conversations in the Oval Office were taped, the matter can be resolved.

And perhaps even more importantly, in watching a lot of CNN, Fox, and MSNBC the past week there is one question that IMO rises above all the others...'Is Greta Van Susteren's face an example of the best work that can be had in the world of plastic surgery today?'
                  Last edited by tinopuno; 05-16-2017, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Then get ready to be even more pissed...

NYT/NBC has just announced there is a Feb 14th contemporaneous memo from Comey stating that Trump asked him to "end the Michael Flynn investigation". In that the meeting allegedly took place in the Oval Office, if conversations in the Oval Office were taped, the matter can be resolved.

And perhaps even more importantly, in watching a lot of CNN, Fox, and MSNBC the past week there is one question that IMO rises above all the others...'Is Greta Van Susteren's face an example of the best work that can be had in the world of plastic surgery today?'

Without question!! And it's not even close. I often wonder why they bothered because on top of being a dog she had zero personality. She's like a mannequin. I didn't know that she was even on tv anymore.

Comment

Without question!! And it's not even close. I often wonder why they bothered because on top of being a dog she had zero personality. She's like a mannequin. I didn't know that she was even on tv anymore.
                      Popper,

I feel a little bad now...but just a little. I mentioned to Gail that Van Susteren is still pretty tough to look at even after a lot of plastic surgery. She responded, "You're a pig Richard. The woman had a cleft palate." I had forgotten that.

But the fact is, they did a shitty job on her nose and chin as well. (I'm really such a horrible, small person.)

Comment

Popper,

I feel a little bad now...but just a little. I mentioned to Gail that Van Susteren is still pretty tough to look at even after a lot of plastic surgery. She responded, "You're a pig Richard. The woman had a cleft palate." I had forgotten that.

But the fact is, they did a shitty job on her nose and chin as well. (I'm really such a horrible, small person.)
                        I never noticed the cleft palate tino. That poor thing just looked like she got hit right between the eyes with the ugly stick. I don't think that they did a a shitty job at all. They sure didn't have much to work with.

On another note I remember seeing Barbra Walters on tv and scratching my head wondering how the hell she got a job. Forget the lisp, with all the beautiful women around you knew she had to be blowing somebody to get that mug on tv. With only 3 tv stations back then you had to be gorgeous to get on. And yes, we all are pigs.

Comment

It seems to me that the MOTHER FUCKERS WHO LEAK THE INFORMATION ARE THE PROBLEM HERE. If Trump told Russia where an attack was going to be that would have end of it. Now the cocksucker who leaked the shit has exposed the whole thing. If this Washington post really gave a shit about the country they would expose this traitor.

Comment

It seems to me that the MOTHER FUCKERS WHO LEAK THE INFORMATION ARE THE PROBLEM HERE. If Trump told Russia where an attack was going to be that would have end of it. Now the cocksucker who leaked the shit has exposed the whole thing. If this Washington post really gave a shit about the country they would expose this traitor.
                            Popper,

Any chance you've been into the Beam?

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
                              There is LOTS of information that is compartmented. But there is another little tag that goes on classified information. NOFORN means the information may not be distributed to foreign governments. As an example I had many classified documents I could share with the Greeks or the Spaniards, or whoever. But docs that were classified Secret NOFORN for example could not be shared. So I would be curious if this information was earmarked NOFORN.
                              Nodak, Thanks for the insight.

Now I find the addition of the NOFORN tag, with which I was unfamiliar, very interesting. And it also occurs to me that, with all the supposed security authorities I've heard comment in the past 2 days, I'm not aware of any who referenced the NOFORN tag, which IMO could be very pertinent to this issue.

Question 1: Is there further refinement in the NOFORN tag that would discriminate between those foreign countries allowed to receive specific pieces of intell vs the remainder who are not. Question 2: Do you know if members of the Five Eyes (US, CAN, UK, AUS & New Zealand) were subject to the NOFORN tag?

If you tell me you can't confirm or deny, I'll understand!

Comment

Working...
                              X