Eagles sign WR Mike Wallace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
    I'll have to take your word for it MD. I'll just counter that Baltimore had a lousy passing offense this season and it seems strange that they would let their best receiver go.
    might be as simple as he didn't want to go back. He made a pretty good bit of money after he left Pittsburgh. At 31 he might want a ring. The Joe Douglas connection to Baltimore may have stuck again. I think he played with Ajayi too, they could be friends. Being WORLD CHAMPIONS may get you that 30+ year vet and I absolutely believe that everyone having fun, being treated as you would like to be treated and Being WORLD CHAMPIONS helps to lure those guys to the team. When you are up against the cap every year, those signings are key to maintaining a deep roster. I'm stoked, realizing the above video is a highlight reel, he does look fast, but he battles for the ball too. I'm ready for more football.
    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

I'll have to take your word for it MD. I'll just counter that Baltimore had a lousy passing offense this season and it seems strange that they would let their best receiver go.
      Nah, don't take my word. But you can't keep changing question. You said he was a pain in the ass... Now your concern seems to be talent level.

All I can tell you is that every place and most players that he has played with have loved the guy.... With the exception of Miami, and that was more a him vs the coach, not him vs teammates. Every other place said the guy was a very hard worker, great help with younger players and was a great teammate. And I do not recall, may I missed it, but I can't find any major off the field bad stuff about him.

Now for the talent... He can still fly, he has pretty good hands, will fight for the ball.... And his stats may be a twinge tainted from playing with Balto and their conservative O and being defensive oriented. Haven't checked but my guess is that his stats are a bit better than Smiths were, and we are so much more O oriented.

I like this deal. Although, we do need to start find some young guts to coach up for the next few years.

Comment

Yep he is a good replacement and is good value. But team chemistry is worth noting and it is yet to be seen what these moves will mean. At the same time every team has to wonder about team chemistry every year so I will go with the FO decisions and hope for the best.
        Further this continues to provide the birds the ability to go with BPA at the draft.
        Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
        Hope is not a strategy
        RIP

Comment

funny how the day after the Birds sign Wallace, Tyrelle Pryor comes off the board. I wonder if we were in the mix for him?
          We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
            Yep he is a good replacement and is good value. But team chemistry is worth noting and it is yet to be seen what these moves will mean. At the same time every team has to wonder about team chemistry every year so I will go with the FO decisions and hope for the best.
            Further this continues to provide the birds the ability to go with BPA at the draft.
            I really think that if they keep following this formula, they are gonna get that Vet who has everything and wants a ring. They now have something in the showcase in the lobby at NovaCare and the coach is the anti Bellichick. We keep rewarding the young guys with decent contracts, they NEED to keep signing these cheap contracts to fill in the roster. When you have guys leaving who are buying a page in the newspaper to thank the organization who got rid of them, this shit resonates through the league. Can't wait for the next stage, the draft ! We need to hit big on some picks, if the Rams get Suh with that defense they will be a tough team.

Comment

Originally posted by tinopuno View Post

Imagine if Donnie Mac had had these guys to throw to.
              Why? Are they all particularly good at catching balls at ground level?

Comment

Originally posted by sfphillyfan View Post
                Why? Are they all particularly good at catching balls at ground level?
                Agree. McNabb had talent, but Wentz is better, and Foles played better. Aside from the talent level, McNabb was not nearly the leader of men that these two are.
                Russian reporters to Bobby Clarke: Can you imagine hockey without fights?
                Robert Earle Clarke's response: Can you imagine vodka without alcohol?

Comment

Agree mm. And I agree about the draft. Need to find a couple of gems in order to make the money/contract flow work in your favor
                  Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                  Hope is not a strategy
                  RIP

Comment

There's nothing really major about him that I don't like, but I remember him doing a lot of bitching in Pittsburg about not getting the ball and not getting paid. For all of that speed he has bounced around a lot and never really did much after he left Pitt. I always wondered why. Why would a guy with that kind of talent never stick? I'll go along though and it looks like a good signing. I still wish that they had just kept Torey though.
                    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

I am also a little concerned about team chemistry. We have seen a decent number of departures. Except for TE, every exit has been replaced by what appears to be an upgrade when taken individually, but football is the ultimate team game. All this said, the NFL requires change, in part bc of the salary cap. We are short on picks this year, and locked and loaded. This is why I think Howie is doing one year deals. Next year we have all our picks plus some supplemental, and I think we will see a return to longer term contracts and younger (and fewer) FA targets.
                      Russian reporters to Bobby Clarke: Can you imagine hockey without fights?
                      Robert Earle Clarke's response: Can you imagine vodka without alcohol?

Comment

Then again maybe I'm wrong!!

"“I’ve made a lot of money,” Wallace said. “You’re not going to play for pennies, but at the same time, that’s not the most important thing to me. I want to win. That’s going to be my key - just put myself in the best situation I can to win a Super Bowl.”

Pro Football Focus is not the be-all-end-all source for in depth info. I personally will not comment in depth on players unless I’ve watched their film, but despite PFF’s arguably flawed grading process, they can be a useful resource. Recently, PFF did a series on the NFL’s best receiver when it comes to running each of the nine routes on a route tree, and Mike Wallace made the cut.

Best slant route runner (min. 10 targeted routes): Mike Wallace, Baltimore Ravens

Mike Wallace left defenders in the dust when running the slant route. He was targeted 18 times and caught 16 of them for 294 yards and 2 touchdowns. Wallace dropped his only two incompletions and led all wide receivers in both yards after the catch (181), WR rating (155., and total yards. Wallace twice went over 50 yards on slants, including one for 95, 87 of which were after the catch. On top of that, more than half (10/1 of the slants thrown to Wallace resulted in a touchdown or a first down.

That’s actually a pretty remarkable stat given that when a receiver runs a slant over the middle, they're likely to take a hard hit from a linebacker. As PFF mentioned, some of Wallace’s best plays have come from slants, including the longest receiving touchdown in franchise history. Much has been made of what the Ravens will do with Wallace, who carries a cap hit of $8 million, $5 million of which can be saved if he is cut. A case can be made the that the Ravens need Wallace, but I still believe if he is to stay on the roster, the team will need to restructure his contract in order to free up cap space to improve the team.

Mike Wallace bids farewell to Baltimore and teammates pour into his replies

Comment

There's nothing really major about him that I don't like, but I remember him doing a lot of bitching in Pittsburg about not getting the ball and not getting paid. For all of that speed he has bounced around a lot and never really did much after he left Pitt. I always wondered why. Why would a guy with that kind of talent never stick? I'll go along though and it looks like a good signing. I still wish that they had just kept Torey though.
                          Sorry big guy but this guy is an upgrade. Not sure why you have such a hard'on for him. I can show you tons of reports that praise his tude. Of course he wants the ball - I don't want a WR who doesn't.

Also remember where he went AFTER Pitts, when looking at his stats.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
                            Sorry big guy but this guy is an upgrade. Not sure why you have such a hard'on for him. I can show you tons of reports that praise his tude. Of course he wants the ball - I don't want a WR who doesn't.

Also remember where he went AFTER Pitts, when looking at his stats.
                            I posted an article that confirms just about everything that you said about him MD in another thread so I'm good.

Comment

Nice article-- https://247sports.com/nfl/philadelph...glesNewsletter

Comment

Ryan Mink (Editorial Manager for Ravens): I'm gonna miss @Wallace17_daKid in the Ravens' locker room. He's one of the most misunderstood guys in the NFL. Hard worker, loved by teammates, great with the media and a true baller. Best of luck in Philly, Mike!

I guess that's where I got my opinions from. All of the guys who misunderstood him lol! Sorry Mike, welcome aboard!

Comment

Working...
                                X