Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT:All Right I'm Calling you all out, one by one 1st MD!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: OT:All Right I'm Calling you all out, one by one 1st MD!

There were two hills we used to run consistently, aptly named Agony and Misery...still have nightmares about those 7 mile runs in 90 degree+ heat.

Oh...Jukin...paging Mr. Jukin...has anyone seen the Jukin?

Comment

Ah yes, that's them,,, since it was way back in 69 I couldn't remember, just that there were 2 of them and they were heartbreakers! Luckily I was there in Jan and February so I never had the heat but the cold wasn't any fun either.

Jukin you're up bud.........................

Comment

Sorry guys I can't post my life story here... it'll use up all the bandwidth for the entire internet. I guess you'll have to wait for my memoirs to come out. Well on second thought I guess I can give you a brief over view if you promise to buy the book when it comes out next month.

I was born in Philly in 1963 and lived in South Philly until I was 9. My Dad had season tickets to the Eagles since 1960 and I have very fond memories of spending Sunday afternoons at the Vet and the game rituals we would follow. We'd meet at my Grandparent's house near Geno's Steaks and run down there and grab roast pork sandwiches to bring to the games. Driving to the stadium we'd talk about the opposing teams and what the Eagles should do. Since my Dad and Uncle each had two seats to the games (and since I have an older brother) it meant that only one of us could go each week and the other would watch the game on TV. Each fall when the tickets came in the mail my brother and I would go through a huge production of picking the games we wanted to go to. Dallas was always the first game to be taken because it was the game that made the fans the wildest (still is!) If I didn't get to go to the game I'd watch it with my Grandfather and cousins and it was almost as much fun! Needless to say the Eagles rituals have been a part of my life for as long as I can remember!

After the Eagles, I loved the Phils, Flyers and Sixers in that order. I still remember the driving home from my Grandparent's house following the Flyers Stanley Cup wins and seeing the people running in the streets, cars blowing horns and the celebrations that followed!

We moved to Cherry Hill in '72 and I went from attending Catholic School to public school for the first time! Talk about a shock! Graduated from CH East in '81, worked at an engineering firm while attending Drexel at night for a couple of years and then transfered to the University of North Carolina at Charlotte.

I know I've told this story before but what the hell. I was in college in Charlotte during the '86 strike and I tried to talk my roommate into trying out for the Falcons scab team. He agreed to do it if I would try out as well. I'm 5'-7" and at the time weighed 135 pounds and had never played organized football in my life -- what the hell was I going to try out for? Well I decided that nothing I did was going to end with anything other than a rejection, so if I was going down in flames it would be for something respectable. We went down to Atlanta, found out where to apply and I filled out the form and listed QB as my position. The girl that collected the forms looked at me and asked "Are you serious?" I said yes and that my friends is how I tried out for the Falcons. No I mean that's the whole story... they called everyone in my group into the office, except me. I never even got past the frigging secretary!! LOL!! But that's ok, somewhere in Atlanta there's a form with my name on it stating that I tried out for the NFL!!

I graduated with an undergrad degree in Architecture in 1988 and moved back to Cherry Hill. I had worked at the Old Cowtail Bar Ice Cream parlor all through high school and college and the owner had just closed it after 65 years. A friend convinced me to buy the business with him and instead of going to work for a firm that was recruiting me I decided to open the old store again. I made more money at that than I ever would have working for an architecture firm, but I decided to take an offer from a design-build architect after about a year. I opened two more ice cream stores in 1991 but after a year of fighting with the landlord I ended up closing them and decided to focus solely on Architecture. I bounced around at 3 firms during the next 8 years and ended up working for a firm doing the changes to Caesar's in Atlantic City. I designed Planet Hollywood and the high roller suites before taking a less stressful job with a firm in Marlton. Along the way back in '94 I started grad school at night at Drexel and graduated in '97.

I met the woman that would become my wife in '99 and married her in 2003. Last June we welcomed our son into our lives and have just started talking about trying for another baby. I started on the old Philly.com board back in 2000 and have stuck around with this group of gypsies ever since! I've been working at my present job for the last 8 years and if my bosses ever make good on their promises to retire I should get a chance to become a principle pretty soon. Maybe I should have MD tell them about the joys of retirement? Hey MD let's talk pal!!

And with that we'll see what life is like in North Dakota. Hey NoDak, you're on the clock!!!
        Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
        Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

I would like to be the first to announce the signing of Asante.....oh, sorry you wanted something else.
          Certainly never to be a best seller but .....started on the philly boards during the great DMac-Williams debating period and followed the crowd here. Born in beautiful downtown Camden NJ in '55. Grew up in what I believe was the very first projects in NJ-- a place called Westfield Acres which was torn down after being declared the worst projects in the state in the late 90s I believe. Actually had moved out of there as a young teen and went to high school in Haddon Township (lived on East Crystal Lake Ave--where it meets Highland Ave). After graduating for the good of the school, the police chased me into the AF and I was sent to a place I had actually never heard of--North Dakota. Had a couple of people put the whipping to me, make me study, make me go to school and I was lucky enough to wind up a career in law enforcement as the senior enlisted policeman in the USAF. If you would have bet that in '73 you would have the cash to put Bill Gates to shame. I saw and got to do an awful lot. After 26 years of travel to NY, Spain, Greece, UK, Germany, with stints in Saudi interspersed, I retired and found I enjoy the open spaces, peacefulness, lack of crime, hunting, fishing, etc that ND offers so I hung it up in 00. Tied on with the Highway Patrol and my wife of 32 years and I live here happily ever after. If you ever want to drive out onto the ice, drill through 30 inches, start fishing, etc give me a call.
          As with all people in need of evaluation I grew up a die hard Eagles, Phils, Flyers fan with St Joes, Villanova, et al stirring me a little more than the sixers. As a youngster the Phils were my first love and I can never forget the first time I walked into Connie Mack for a night game and the unbelievable feeling being at Steve Carlton's 25th in a year where he alone won half the games. If the Phils were my love the Eagles were the ones to stir my emotions. My young wife didn't understand this (even after a broken TV). She and my knucklehead drinking buddies thought it funny to get my young son to say he liked the cowgirls and see me go through the roof. Say it enough and it happens, the biggest failure in my life is that that knucklehead is now a cowgirl fan. Although I've mellowed over the years he no longer says andything about the birds or the girls.
          Still got a lot of family in S Jersey and my wife, sons, grandsons, etc get back every couple of years to hit the beach. Aug 2-9 in the Crest this coming year. If I can get in a little early I may be able to hit TC.
          Anyway I am sure that is far too much for anyone to know. I would love to see something from Pocono if not GWE should be throwing something out over the weekend.
          Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
          Hope is not a strategy
          RIP

Comment

Great Stuff guys.... Juk, I'm ready to talk about retirement 24/7--- after all it is all I have to do..... LOL.

Nodak, I wouldn't have figured you for a copper, Pedro is also in that field, I grew up on a Highland ave, different town, but what the hey i guess almost every town has a Highland Ave.

Pocono -- if you're around buddy you're up------------------------

Comment

NoDak I think yoiu know my office is located on Highland Ave. a block from where it meets Crystal Lake. Pretty small world afterall I guess!! By the way, they just tore down the Tidy Diaper Factory and are still cleaning up the rock pile that used to be the building. A lot of the buildings here are scheduled for demo to make way for a massive mixed use project. it should be pretty cool when it's done (assuming of course they stick to the plan!!)

Comment

Originally posted by Jukin
                NoDak I think yoiu know my office is located on Highland Ave. a block from where it meets Crystal Lake. Pretty small world afterall I guess!! By the way, they just tore down the Tidy Diaper Factory and are still cleaning up the rock pile that used to be the building. A lot of the buildings here are scheduled for demo to make way for a massive mixed use project. it should be pretty cool when it's done (assuming of course they stick to the plan!!)
                Yea, I had an idea you worked on Highland. When I was home last April my brother was telling me there was talk of redoing that whole tidy diaper area. In fact, a buddy lived on Virginia and we used to play B Ball in the big parking lot of the red brick bldg on Highland, at one time I think it was the wing bldg, and is probably pretty close to your digs.

MD, everyone has a story so that most probably don't give a damn about so I try not to throw out too much info. But this seems a relatively mellow group.
                Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                Hope is not a strategy
                RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle`
                  Originally posted by Jukin
                  Yea, I had an idea you worked on Highland. When I was home last April my brother was telling me there was talk of redoing that whole tidy diaper area. In fact, a buddy lived on Virginia and we used to play B Ball in the big parking lot of the red brick bldg on Highland, at one time I think it was the wing bldg, and is probably pretty close to your digs.
                  Yeah it's pretty close - that's my office!!

Comment

Born in 1972 in Levittown, moved to Langhorne a year later. Became an Eagles fan while watching a game on TV when I was about 7, I think. All I remember is the Eagles beating Green Bay about 44-3. Was at all 3 NFC Championship home games and go to 1/2 the games each year at home. Have been to Eagles road games in Pittsburgh, Denver, Dallas, New York twice, Atlanta, Baltimore, and Chicago. Briefly met J-Bird at a stadium protest when we wanted a new stadium, and about two weeks later, the deal was signed by Mayor Street, so I guess our protest worked. (I actually got a letter back from the Mayor saying my thoughts were duly noted, not that he is my hero or anything).

Football is easily my favorite sport, followed by baseball...basketball and hockey is a toss up, but basketball probably has the edge right now. Hockey hasn't been the same without Gene Hart.

I got married in 2000, and have two kids, Derek, who is 4, and Allyson, who is about 10 months old. After I got married I lived in Hatboro before there was major flooding at our apartments (Village Green), moved to Warminster, and recently just moved to Warwick Township, PA.

Graduated from Phil-Mont Christian Academy in 1991 and Messiah College in 1995, though I did attend Council Rock High School for one year in 1990 due to a transportation issue. Was the 2nd ranked college tennis player at Messiah College my senior year. Outside of that I am an accountant (not a CPA) for an oil and gas investment company and I also am the commissioner of the local church softball league.

Comment

Originally posted by saratoga
                      Next is Green With Envy.
                      OK, I’m back from 5 beautiful days skiing and now I have to deal with my biography.

I was born in ’53 in Philly. Grew up in Logan (Olney High) and went to college in Baltimore.

I moved to the DC area in ’73 to work as a White House news photographer covering Watergate. I’m still in the commercial photography business but in management and sales. I’m also involved in real estate development. I’ve been married for 18 years (to a ‘Skins fan) and have two teenage girls (YIKES!!) but at least they’re Eagle fans (although they were crushed when the Eagles cut Jeremy Bloom).

While living in Philly I was a big Phillies and 76er’s fan and just a casual Eagles fan. After moving to Redskins territory I became a huge Eagles fan out of survival.

In the mid ‘70’s through the late ‘90’s there wasn’t the internet, so I’d try to pick up copies of the Inquirer just to follow the team. I remember trying to tune my radio to pick up Eagles games on static filled Philadelphia stations.

My sports heroes growing up were Billy Cunningham, Hal Greer, Richie Allen, Rick Wise, Mike Schmidt and Steve Carlton (notice that there aren’t any Eagles). It’s funny that I really wasn’t too interested in football until I was in my 20’s and living in DC. Now I really don’t follow the Phillies or Sixers, just the Eagles.

One of my fondest football memories was in 1995 (I think). The Eagles were playing Dallas and the game wasn’t on Washington TV. I took my father to a sports bar and we were surrounded by Cowboy fans and watched the Eagle stop Emmitt Smith twice on 4th and 1. It’s funny how a game or a play can live in your memory more than a season. I couldn’t tell you (without looking it up) what the records were that year for the Eagles or the Cowboys, but I remember the face of Barry Switzer when Smith was stopped the second time.

While I was an active photographer I had the chance once to be on the sidelines once when Buddy Ryan’s Eagles were playing the Redskins. That was an amazing experience.

I really appreciate and enjoy the success we’ve had the last 8 years. Yes we haven’t won the “BIG GAME” yet, but every year since Reid’s been HC (except year 1), we’ve had the chance. There’s nothing a team can do to guarantee a Super Bowl win (see Patriots) but we have the ability to win almost every game we play, and you couldn’t say that about the Eagles in most other years that I followed the team. I guess in other boards I’d be called a front office apologist, but I’ve always considered myself a realist. Living here in DC I see the Redskins win the offseason every year and then come up short in the real season.

One more thing; I still read and post on another board, but more time seems to be spent trashing other posters, then talking football. I appreciate the discussions here and also appreciate that you can have a different opinion and not be called an idiot (or an apologist). It’s good to have intelligent discussions without having to wade through crap (than you MD Fan for introducing me to this board).

Comment

GWE, I graduated from Olney High, as well. In '83.

Comment

Originally posted by ThoughtProcess
                          I graduated Olney in '71. Where did you live?

Comment

Thanks GWE and KK4SB, that is good stuff.

Where at in the DC area GWE?

Ok, while we are still waiting on Poco and Big Philly to join in ....... GWE you get to pick the next victim!

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN
                              Thanks GWE and KK4SB, that is good stuff.

Where at in the DC area GWE?

Ok, while we are still waiting on Poco and Big Philly to join in ....... GWE you get to pick the next victim!
                              I live in Rockville and work in Silver Spring.

As for our next victim, how about Fresh?

Comment

Originally posted by Green With Envy
                                Originally posted by ThoughtProcess
                                I graduated Olney in '71. Where did you live?
                                West Oak Lane, near Broad st. and Chelten Ave. While in school, I worked around 5th St and Hunting Park Ave. I would walk from school down to work sometimes, and then from work to home. Ahh, those were the days

Comment

Working...
                                X