Register blog | Columns | Amazon FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read mobile style

Go Back   Philly.Sportscolumn.com > Philly Sports > Eagles Fans Only 2017

Old 03-27-2019, 10:17 PM   #1
Eagle60 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

Eagle60 will become famous soon enough
Default Eli on Eagles

Eli Manning talks about getting the double bird from 9-year-old Eagles fans
The 38-year-old quarterback talks about his toughest annual road game.
By Alexis Chassen@Lovelybuckeye Mar 27, 2019, 7:18pm EDT

As NFL team owners, general managers and head coaches met with reporters at the annual meetings this week, Giants quarterback Eli Manning was answering his own set of questions as part of a panel discussion for the NYIT Center for Sports Medicine/Head Injury Association.

Along with naming the most gifted athlete he’s ever played with (Odell Beckham Jr.), the NFL veteran talked about the hardest hit he’d ever taken, and remembered the first game of his career on the bad end of a tackle by Eagles’ Jerome McDougle in 2004.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lv7DTI-kTzA

According to Newsday, Manning quipped:

“It was my welcome-to-the-NFL play,” he said. “Fifteen seasons later I have not taken a bigger hit. That’s a good thing. I do not know if I could take that hit now.”

Manning also named Philadelphia as his toughest road games each season, and noted that it’s a different kind of environment... from fans of all ages.

“You go there, and that 9-year-old kid is giving you the double finger,” he said. “Not a thumbs-up. Not, ‘We’re No. 1.’ And he said something about my mom; I had to Google what it was. It’s just different. It’s a different culture.”

He has been at it so long, he said, that he has seen young Philadelphia fans grow up before his eyes. “Now I see him and he’s got his 9-year-old kid with him,” Manning said, smiling. “Same deal. It runs in the families down there.”

The quarterback has had plenty of experience playing the Eagles on the road, and has only won six matchups in Philly. His overall record against his NFC East rival isn’t much better, collectively going 10-20 during his 15 year career.

Eagles fans might get a bad rep, but for players suiting up for the home team, they create one of the best home-field advantage environments in the NFL. And, they aren’t supposed to make things comfortable for the opponent, let alone a division foe. It’s just never going to happen.

So, whether 9-year-olds are flipping the bird to opponents or yelling obscenities from the stands, they’re showing support for the home team, and that’s all that really matters.

Despite being 38 years old, Manning said he was still passionate about the game, and Giants GM Dave Gettleman doesn’t seem to be trying to usher in any kind of new era in New York — at least, not anytime soon. Which means the Eagles should still get to see Eli a couple times a year, and he’ll get at least one more chance to be blasted by kids in Philly.
Old 03-28-2019, 07:55 AM   #2
Vet Turf
Pro Bowler

Vet Turf has disabled reputation

I smell a made up story regarding a 9 year old.
Vet Turf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 08:12 AM   #3
tinopuno 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

tinopuno is on a distinguished road

Unlike Peyton, who actually has a sense of humor and a complete human personality of his own (the spunk containing ELI's 'Personality DNA' slid down his mother 's leg), Eli has been a pathetic little bitch ever since Archie took him by the hand and told him he was not to play for San Diego.

Referring to the cruel 9 year old who made it impossible for him to win in Philly... "And he said something about my mom; I had to Google what it was."

Eli was apparently unfamiliar with the term, "Two Dollar Whore"
tinopuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 08:35 AM   #4
NoDakIggle 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

NoDakIggle has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vet Turf View Post
I smell a made up story regarding a 9 year old.
I agree. Like Strahan saying a grandmother was giving him the finger. Both could certainly be true but they could very easily just be playing into people's perception of Philly.
The part that amazed me was McDougle being remembered for a hit. He didn't make many.
Old 03-28-2019, 11:01 AM   #5
taz
Pro Bowler

taz has disabled reputation

I am very proud of the 9 year old who gave him the finger. He deserved it for being a crying little bitch.
Old 03-28-2019, 10:15 PM   #6
sfphillyfan 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

sfphillyfan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinopuno View Post
Unlike Peyton, who actually has a sense of humor and a complete human personality of his own (the spunk containing ELI's 'Personality DNA' slid down his mother 's leg), Eli has been a pathetic little bitch ever since Archie took him by the hand and told him he was not to play for San Diego.

Referring to the cruel 9 year old who made it impossible for him to win in Philly... "And he said something about my mom; I had to Google what it was."

Eli was apparently unfamiliar with the term, "Two Dollar Whore"
Hahaha!
The views and opinions expressed above are those of sfphillyfan and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of EFO or the administration. And to further confuse you, here's a pic of Kate Beckinsale:
:
sfphillyfan is offline   Reply With Quote