Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just wish kids appreciated what happened on June 7, 1942-D-Day

https://biggeekdad.com/2019/05/a-d-day-survivor-story/

Edit: Shit, I can't even write a title right and hit the 7 button. I hit the 7 instead of the 6. Anyway, bring a bucket for this one and make your kids and grandkids watch it.
    Last edited by Eagle60; 06-06-2019, 11:46 AM.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

I get what you are saying but on the flip side I just don't think they have any frame of reference to what happened in the middle of the last century. Wars and conflicts now are localized and fought like it is a video game. Most probably don't appreciate it but without the reference I can't fault them too much and to be honest that is a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Vet Turf View Post
      I get what you are saying but on the flip side I just don't think they have any frame of reference to what happened in the middle of the last century. Wars and conflicts now are localized and fought like it is a video game. Most probably don't appreciate it but without the reference I can't fault them too much and to be honest that is a good thing.
      Education is supposed to help them learn what NOT to do also, so that they may recognize what is happening now!

Schools at fault and the PC numbnuts running them.

Comment

You also are 2 years early. June 6, 1944

Comment

Originally posted by Rossovich View Post
          You also are 2 years early. June 6, 1944
          I frieken surrender!

Comment

I once saw an Eisenhower exhibit with the actual draft letter that Ike put together in case the landings had failed. He was so stressed he wrote down the wrong date and was off by a month. So, if Ike can make that mistake, I think it’s okay for E60 to do a typo
            "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
            — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
            - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

Comment

Originally posted by balto-eaglefan View Post
              I once saw an Eisenhower exhibit with the actual draft letter that Ike put together in case the landings had failed. He was so stressed he wrote down the wrong date and was off by a month. So, if Ike can make that mistake, I think it’s okay for E60 to do a typo
              I agree. I got a laugh out of it. Honestly I caught the year right away, but the wrong date sailed right over my head.

Comment

Originally posted by Rossovich View Post
                I agree. I got a laugh out of it. Honestly I caught the year right away, but the wrong date sailed right over my head.
                That was to read the wrong day. Maybe I wrote it that way, but I had a spell check incident yesterday that I did catch. I was typing define. It was changed to defone 3 times as I tried retyping. So I then clicked on the word and what comes up as an option? Define. It’s amazing I have any sanity remaining.

Comment

[QUOTE=Rossovich;334764]That was to read the wrong day. Maybe I wrote it that way, but I had a spell check incident yesterday that I did catch. I was typing define. It was changed to defone 3 times as I tried retyping. So I then clicked on the word and what comes up as an option? Define. It’s amazing I have any sanity remaining.[/QUOTE]

What day is it today anyway?

Comment

There is an old guy here who was on the first crew assigned to the battleship New Jersey which is now docked in Camden. It only had half a crew when he went on board. I sat with him last night and he was telling stories of getting the ship ready for service. Said he'll never forget the first time they had a drill in the middle of the night and guys running to their battle stations in their white shorts. Couldn't see anything but guys running in white shorts. Then went on to talk of manning a five inch gun while bombarding islands in the pacific. Fascinating as I listened in admiration.
                    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                    Hope is not a strategy
                    RIP

Comment

My Dad was in Patton's 14th Armored Division and they went in through the Mediterranean Sea. I don't know why they all didn't go that way because there wasn't too much resistance. Anyway he could never go near an ocean again because of the smell of it made him sick. He was sick the whole time on the sail over. They were packed in like sardines and they lost a bunch of soldiers due to sea sickness. Incredible times.

Comment

While I was growing up, I'd mow the neighbors' lawns for cash. One of my neighbors was a Navy vet who served in the Pacific theater. He had the specialized Submarine service license plate on his Ford. As I cut his grass, I mustered up the courage to ask him about his experiences back then. His mood shifted from cheerful to dark and angry. He told me that he'd been a POW and to never ever ask him about it again. He stormed inside, and left me standing, apologizing, outside by my mower.

Comment

I also had a woodworking class in middle school, and my teacher was a Korean War vet. He had flags and military memorabilia on his desk, and we'd sometimes ask him about the stuff, and he'd oblige us. One day he was talking to a group of us and some kid puts his wood block on the wrong end of the sanding wheel. The wheel grabbed the wood block and flung it across the room against a wall. It hit with a loud crack, almost like a rifle shot. The teacher dove onto the ground and belly-crawled to the classroom door. His eyes were opened wide like he saw a ghost. He crawled right out of the classroom as some of us students called his name. He wouldn't turn around, and a student ended up running to the principal's office for help. That teacher ended up taking a six month sabbatical after that. We thought he'd gone crazy.

As an adult I realize now that my shop teacher likely suffered from PTSD.

Comment

Originally posted by Vet Turf View Post

Generally speaking, I agree with this.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
                              Education is supposed to help them learn what NOT to do also, so that they may recognize what is happening now!

Schools at fault and the PC numbnuts running them.

I agree with this also, but I'll add that underfunding/erosion of the tax base also impacts education negatively in addition to PC gone wild.

Comment

Working...
                              X