Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Somewhat OT: Maybe I’m getting grumpy in my old age...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Somewhat OT: Maybe I’m getting grumpy in my old age...

... but this really pisses me off. Our original flag is offensive because we sought independence during a period that included slaves? Are we going to ignore our entire history that occurred during that period? Why even celebrate Independence Day at all?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mer...ve-symbol/amp/
    Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
    Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Without getting political---- Anyone who thinks our history(good or bad) should be revised to meet today's PC society is just flat out wrong and does a tremendous disservice to all Americans!!!!

It's called "Presentism" and it is just plain stuuuuuupid!

Comment

Nike is pandering to the loudest and most shrill voice in the room. Sorry to see it.

Just last night I watched an episode of the Man Show. It wasn't as funny as I remember it but both my wife and I had a chuckle at points. No way it could be broadcast now, anymore than Blazing Saddles or the like. Too bad. When harmless humor is not acceptable we get crap like the article you linked.

Comment

This tweet pretty much sums things up regarding Kaperdick:

Evan Draim
        @evan_draim
        Fun fact: Not only was Betsy Ross one badass lady who created an enduring symbol for our nation representing freedom around the globe, she was also a better quarterback than Colin Kaepernick.#CancelKaepernick #Nike

OMG I swear that I would get 3/4 of the vote in the US just running on one platform to get rid of this PC nonsense.
        Last edited by Eagle60; 07-02-2019, 07:16 PM.
        "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

I sure don’t agree with destroying history to meet our standards today. However I personally would not wear the flag, especially not on my feet. To me that’s pure disrespect of our flag.

Comment

Originally posted by Rossovich View Post
            I sure don’t agree with destroying history to meet our standards today. However I personally would not wear the flag, especially not on my feet. To me that’s pure disrespect of our flag.
            Yep. The same US Code that talks of standing for the national anthem or holding hand over heart also talks about using flag for decorations on pillows or clothing or whatever. Personally, it is all disrespectful but just because I don't like one thing doesn't mean I can or should find the other acceptable. Unfortunately too many want America for them and not America for all.
            As for historical symbols, flags, statues and the like....Instead of tearing things down or hiding them in storage maybe people would be smart enough to teach their children about the symbol or statue; and what was good or right about the time or what was bad or wrong about the time. You can't change the history but maybe teaching changes the future. But it is probably too much to ask of people
            Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
            Hope is not a strategy
            RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
              Yep. The same US Code that talks of standing for the national anthem or holding hand over heart also talks about using flag for decorations on pillows or clothing or whatever. Personally, it is all disrespectful but just because I don't like one thing doesn't mean I can or should find the other acceptable. Unfortunately too many want America for them and not America for all.
              As for historical symbols, flags, statues and the like....Instead of tearing things down or hiding them in storage maybe people would be smart enough to teach their children about the symbol or statue; and what was good or right about the time or what was bad or wrong about the time. You can't change the history but maybe teaching changes the future. But it is probably too much to ask of people
              ND, I believe that it was actually illegal to display the flag on any clothing and just about everywhere else up until the 70's when everything went haywire because of the hippy movement. Of course I could be wrong but I remember being shocked what people were doing to the flag including burning it. Many young men also burnt their draft cards and fled to Canada. I think that Obama found some way for those guys to return to the states when he got elected but I don't remember what it was. A lot of people were pretty upset about that too.
              "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
                NoDak, please stop with the common sense. There is no place for logic, reasonableness or sound judgement in the world and certainly not HERE! We are after all, knuckle dragging Eagle fans. Come on, do you actually expect people to TEACH children about things we have done in the past that were wrong? That would lead to understanding and empathy and could actually help future generations avoid repeating some of the horrible things we have done in our past.

No doubt that would lead to future lawsuits for denying people the experience of things like class discrimination, labor and social injustice, bigotry and maybe even a return to slavery for the next ethnicity to fall out of favor of the rich and powerful. You can’t allow people to learn from history when they can have so much fun by repeating it! Think of the hatred and intolerance you would be denying to the world! You should be embarrassed for bringing reasonable conversation to this board. Shame on you!!
                Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

I tend to lean on the liberal side of things usually. But, people being offended by stuff like the Betsy Ross issue just pisses me off.

Before long we won't have any more US History. Somebody is always offended. IMO, it is the same for all the Civil War statues being removed throughout the South. Right or wrong, it is part of our history. The statues mean different things to different people. The past should not be ignored.

I am glad I won't be around to live in the sterile future that is coming

Comment

Working...
                  X