We'll add more this preseason because Howie can't help himself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We'll add more this preseason because Howie can't help himself

CATALDI: Are you confident enough that you’re ready to do a long-term major deal with Carson as he enters the final year of his contract? I know you picked up his 5th-year option, but I’m just wondering where you mindset is right now making the big contractual commitment.

ROSEMAN: Yeah, for us, this is something that we’re planning to do. And if the deal is right for us and the deal is right for Carson, we wouldn’t hesitate to pull the trigger on that. That’s just the amount of confidence that we have. And we want to build this team knowing kind of what that piece is in place and go forward.

I think it’s kind of funny because we have all these meetings around here with our personnel staff and our coaches and our front office, and we talk about ‘hey, we have to at some point maybe go and get more draft picks and get more volume.’ And then we get these [trade] opportunities and I kind of get into a moment where I can’t deny the opportunity because we just want to win. But we’re all balancing what we’re doing this year with also the opportunity of continuing to compete for the foreseeable future. We always want to be in the race but maybe I’ve got to stop with all my aggressiveness at some point. What do you think?

Nothing ground-breaking here. Roseman, Jeffrey Lurie, and Doug Pederson have all publicly stated the plan is to sign Wentz to a long-term contract extension. It’s a matter of “when” and not “if” for this team. The Eagles would probably love to get it done sooner than later. Wentz might be the one who is hesitant since his value isn’t at his highest after two straight injured seasons.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

I’m happy we have a proactive GM. Stagnation sucks.

Comment

Can't say I am not happy with the moves he has been making. You have to have young guys coming up (first contract guys) in order to pay the Fletcher Cox type guys. And you have to let guys walk when they get to their second contract and eat into the sal cap as was done with Allen/Curry last year. Then you have to fill in with cheaper vets on the back end of the career but have something left to give ala Bennett last year. Finally you try to pick up young guys who are available for some reason at good price ala Ajayi or Howard. That is a tough balance.
      The only area I'd like to see improved is keeping more draft picks but that is a minor quarrel.
      Everyone knows they are in a tough spot with Carson Wentz. He is an elite talent but there is an injury concern. I will say this though, Sam Bradford made a fortune based on potential and he seemed to always be injured and didn't have anywhere near the talent that Wentz has. The birds need to suck it up and dive in the pool. If he doesn't work out he doesn't work out but he is the best chance they have for a franchise guy right now,
      Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
      Hope is not a strategy
      RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
        Everyone knows they are in a tough spot with Carson Wentz. He is an elite talent but there is an injury concern. I will say this though, Sam Bradford made a fortune based on potential and he seemed to always be injured and didn't have anywhere near the talent that Wentz has. The birds need to suck it up and dive in the pool. If he doesn't work out he doesn't work out but he is the best chance they have for a franchise guy right now,
        And let's just say they are on the fence due to the injuries, the place to get a franchise caliber replacement for wentz is most likely at the very top of the draft which would also necessitate either a 3 wins or less season or a very expensive trade.

I agree with you, can't slowly wade into the pool, time to dive in.

Comment

Howie is one of if not the best GM in football. The adding he is doing is year to year additions that are low dollar low investment types. Even LJ Fort who he signed to a 3 yr deal is a modest amount of money every year. The big exception is Malik Jackson but he is the type of player who you should give that type of money to. Otherwise all of those contracts he gave to folks outside the org can easy get out in year two and that includes DeSean Jackson.

Right now they are in a really good spot for next years draft. They most likely will have 3 comp picks including a 3rd and two 4's (no way he doesn't let go of a Sendjo or Fort to that pick). That gives him plenty of amo to trade up, trade down, trade another pick for a player like he has done and still add some young players.

The other thing is they do a good job with UDFA and picking up players on the waiver wire. Guys like Kamu, LeBlanc etc.
          Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Hey, I like the moves too. I'll just point out that on paper isn't always the best move for team chemistry. I'm more concerned with Jenkins not being around more than anything else. He's a guy, like Dawkins that you have to keep happy. And to revisit Dawkins, the reason that he left was that he wasn't appreciated by The Weasel and Reid. It really wasn't about the money because Denver didn't give him anymore than we did. It just looked better when they offered him money that he would never see and Big Red said to him, "Dawk, I understand that you can't turn down that kind of money". Of course Luri later regretted that he didn't intervene which probably would have kept Dawk around.

So I guess that my point is that churning the bottom of the roster might not be such a bad thing but messing with starters can be. The $30 million that they threw at Jackson probably should have been given to Bennet. I'm sure Jenkins is looking at that $30 million too and saying to himself that "I played all over the field for less than that" and feels "disrespected". I hate when they use that word but it is the way of the league to show respect and there is nothing that can be done about that.
            "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Working...
            X