X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sproles back!

Ian Rapoport

@RapSheet
    The #Eagles are bringing back veteran RB Darren Sproles, agreeing to a one-year deal with him.

Great news on the eve of Training Camp: Darren Sproles returns!
    #### EAGLES INSIDER
    Dave Spadaro
    One more time for Darren Sproles and the Eagles. The team announced on Friday afternoon that Sproles will return for his 15th NFL season as he adds more depth to the team’s running back room and brings some explosiveness to the return game.

A talented roster just became more versatile and deeper.

"My heart is in Philly. That's where I want to end my career," Sproles said. "That team, the city is like a family."

“We are excited to bring Darren back. It isn’t very often that you have the opportunity to add a player who has the sixth-most total yards in NFL history," the team said in a statement. "He is the ultimate professional, and a leader on and off the field. He will add another proven talent to our running back room. His dynamic punt return skills are second to none. We can’t wait to get started next week.”

One of the most prolific yards-gainers in the history of the NFL – he ranks sixth all time in total combined yards with 19,520 – Sproles spoke through the offseason of his interest in playing in 2019 and reiterated that sentiment on Friday.

"I really want to go out on top. That's what I really want to do," Sproles said. "I can't wait to get back with the guys."

He’s back to add to a running back room that is going to be exciting to watch in this Training Camp.

Last season, Sproles contributed 32 yards from scrimmage, including a critical catch-and-run to convert a late third down, in the team’s opening-night win over Atlanta and then missed 10 games with a hamstring injury. He returned to the field for the final five weeks of the regular season and showed he’s got plenty of gas in his tank. In those five games, during which the Eagles went 4-1, Sproles had 24 rushing attempts for 110 yards and added 11 receptions for 138 yards. In those five games, he averaged 7.1 yards per touch from the line of scrimmage and the Eagles' offense, which played inconsistently for most of the season to that point, averaged 27.4 points per game.

Now he’s back, looking for one final season of glory to end a career – maybe? – that could very well send him on his way to Canton, Ohio and the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Helping the Eagles win the Super Bowl would be the ideal way to end a spectacular playing career.

The question now is how will the Eagles incorporate Sproles into the offense and on special teams? That latter seems easy enough, with Sproles instantly becoming the leading candidate to return punts this season. The Eagles have DeSean Jackson, yes, and we know how much of a game-breaking return man he is, but it may be best to save Jackson’s legs for running past defensive backs.

Sproles is a leader in the locker room, an example of professionalism for every player and as hungry for success as a man can be. He wants to finish on top after an uneven 2018 campaign. The Eagles are excited to get him into camp and see him in action.

As far as the picture in the running backs room, Sproles is joining a deep and talented position group, which is a good thing for a team that was ravaged by injuries at the position a year ago, but emerged stronger, deeper, and more experienced. Then the Eagles went out in the offseason and dramatically upgraded their rushers, trading for Jordan Howard in a deal with Chicago and then using the 53rd overall draft pick on Miles Sanders.

Keeping the door open and the lines of communication intact again served the Eagles well. They made no secret of their interest in bringing Sproles back to the team – head coach Doug Pederson and Howie Roseman said as much throughout the offseason – and they patiently waited to see where Sproles was at with his intentions. With Training Camp opening, the sides are in sync. It’s a terrific good-news jolt to open the 2019 Eagles Training Camp.

The ageless one, the Mighty Mite, the player who defies all logic for his greatness, is back with the Eagles and ready to help in the running game, as a receiver in space, and in the return part of special teams. Darren Sproles is a once-in-a-decade kind of player the Eagles are glad to have back in Midnight Green as the long march through the 2019 season begins in the heat of South Philadelphia.
    Last edited by Eagle60; 07-19-2019, 06:09 PM.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Awesome !!!

Having a guy like him around certainly cannot hurt. I hope he has a terrific and injury free year.

Of course, somebody at the RB position just lost a potential roster spot. The top 4 are pretty much locked in.

Comment

Put Sproles AND Djax in to return punts and kicks, and make the opponent choose their poison.

Comment

One of my off season hopes.

Comment

Awesome News and a Huge Boost for ST's. He'll get some reps in the Backfield & yeah, gonna be alot of Comp in TC.
          Just give me ONE before I go!

Comment

Bad news for Boston Scott but if I were him I wouldn't get too far from my phone. Personally I am ready to move on from Sproles. Even though I think he can provide a play or two I don't think he has workhorse left in him. Fortunately the birds have a three guys to fall back on in Jordan, Miles, and Cory. The one thing he surely brings in veteran leadership to three pretty young guys.
            Maybe they can trade Smallwood and Pumphrey for a future first round pick...….hahahahahaha
            Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
            Hope is not a strategy
            RIP

Comment

Sproles as a role player that gets 4-6 touches a game is perfect. Lack of depth at RB really hurt us last year. Hopefully we are back to having a 3-4 headed monster in the backfield and get the running game going like it was in 17. The real difference in the offense was no running game (not Wentz or Groh).
              Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

This does raise a couple of questions though. The one that bothers me the most is the fear that Clements might still be injured. After his fantastic SB performance he has been very ineffective. The team needs to develop their young players. Collecting draft picks is not very helpful if they don't play.

Comment

I thought they were prepared to move on, so I'm a little surprised by this. However, I wll admit that, regardless of how crowded the backfield is, I would certainly prefer to have Sproles handling the punt return duties. I know they have Desean, who they can put back there, but I'd rather they use Sproles unless they reach a certain level of desperation.

Comment

The question is how electric will Sproles be in the return game. He certainly should be sure handed but a return threat would be nice. Not saying anyone else on the roster has that. Doug & Co are definitely in a better position than anyone here so I have to believe they don't have someone better already.
                    I will also echo the concern that maybe someone on the roster isn't going to be ready for the season. If it is Clement you have to wonder what this lingering injury is and is it a career thing
                    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                    Hope is not a strategy
                    RIP

Comment

I think Sproles has had a very light load these last two years, and I think he will still have a lot to offer. Maybe not quite the same speed, but moves and experience are still a threat. Still like to watch him with the ball in his hands. The one real problem I see is that he is only in the backfield and gets the ball every time, they need to use him as a decoy at times. This O can still be predictable at times and Doug needs to ensure that doesn’t happen.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
                        I think Sproles has had a very light load these last two years, and I think he will still have a lot to offer. Maybe not quite the same speed, but moves and experience are still a threat. Still like to watch him with the ball in his hands. The one real problem I see is that he is only in the backfield and gets the ball every time, they need to use him as a decoy at times. This O can still be predictable at times and Doug needs to ensure that doesn’t happen.
                        Ain't that the truth! I always say the same thing (well, only when the play doesn't work anyway lol). Actually he's a very good blocker so that shouldn't be a problem. We should have no excuses on third down with the 3 bigs we will have (Alshon, Zack and Philly).

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
                          You know that if you're seeing it, defensive coordinators are definitely seeing it.

Comment

Working...
                          X