No announcement yet.

O'Reilly out!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

60-- strictly my opinion but I'm not sure CNN or FOX has any news shows. Everything they have is talk show. They give a headline (10 seconds worth or so) then they discuss it among themselves and then bring on a couple of paid contributors to discuss it. And those paid contributors are paid to have a contradictory discussion; in addition to talking over each other.
    Headline news network is cable news. There may be some bias there but it is far less than some of the others. And I only see HLN in the morning for a little while so there may be other shows I'm not aware of.
    I'm not as old as some on here (just shy of 62) so I grew up with, and still watch, the evening news and I read a paper that I have to turn the pages. I also watch some CNN, FOX, and HLN. No One America or Al Jezzera(sp?) though. Anyway, I just find it odd that 'the mainstream media' is nothing but fake news yet 'the stations I watch' isn't fake news because we aren't mainstream media. What? Really? How can that be? And this will hit a nerve somewhere but if you want fake news you can listen to President Trump. He's been known to throw out a fake line or two.
    It is up to each person to sift through the nonsense to find truth (unfortunately). Not many want to do that.
    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
    Hope is not a strategy
    RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
      60-- strictly my opinion but I'm not sure CNN or FOX has any news shows. Everything they have is talk show. They give a headline (10 seconds worth or so) then they discuss it among themselves and then bring on a couple of paid contributors to discuss it. And those paid contributors are paid to have a contradictory discussion; in addition to talking over each other.
      Headline news network is cable news. There may be some bias there but it is far less than some of the others. And I only see HLN in the morning for a little while so there may be other shows I'm not aware of.
      I'm not as old as some on here (just shy of 62) so I grew up with, and still watch, the evening news and I read a paper that I have to turn the pages. I also watch some CNN, FOX, and HLN. No One America or Al Jezzera(sp?) though. Anyway, I just find it odd that 'the mainstream media' is nothing but fake news yet 'the stations I watch' isn't fake news because we aren't mainstream media. What? Really? How can that be? And this will hit a nerve somewhere but if you want fake news you can listen to President Trump. He's been known to throw out a fake line or two.
      It is up to each person to sift through the nonsense to find truth (unfortunately). Not many want to do that.

Seriously ND, how do you do that? I've almost given up. Everything on the internet is all crap too. You can't trust a picture because they are photo shopped. Even a live television shot can be made to slant in any direction that you want. Surely the tapped stuff is taken out of context. I don't think it's laziness, I just think it's impossible unless you're there to see it yourself.
      "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Not sure Trump is ANY different then any politician is or has been in telling half truths, non truths and obfuscation. Again I don't worry about what he sez nearly as much as I do what he does. And so far I like what he has done and what he has attempted to do.

Comment

It's tough 60; I sure don't have an answer. Seeing/hearing a story from two or three different organizations helps since you can see where each is coming from but how many people have time for that. If something just doesn't sound logical I try to look into it more. There are various fact check sites but they aren't always as factual as they should be. Most of the time the answer is somewhere in between the reported. As I have said I don't have a good answer.
          Hope is not a strategy
          RIP

Comment

I agree with you both 60 and ND--- the "truth" in many cases is very illusive.

And ND I agree the only way you can come close is to listen to both sides and then decide to try and make up the most logical scenario for you.

Frankly I am not sure that average people EVER have gotten the actual and
            unvarnished truth, since time began--- lets face it even when reporting just straight news, people us adjectives that slant that story through their own colored/shaded glasses--- even if unintentional. But it has gotten progressively worse decade by decade, year by year. So bad now that it is,IMO, seeped, creeped and sometimes intentionally ingrained in almost ALL outlets.

And we lose!

Comment

Talk about irony. Here are 3 guys who pretty much agree with each other on politics and media and argue about our beloved Eagles LOL!! Nothing in the world makes sense anymore.

Comment

60, it is kind of funny to me. We agree on much but my guess is all three of us LEAN a little differently. I think that is true with most people. They all have things they agree on. Very few are on the far side. Yet the far side causes the most trouble. I would love to have a group of people in congress that were not dependent on their party so they could vote what is good for the country. A group that could tell the left that no you ain't getting that stupid ass **** and tell the right that no you ain't getting that stupid ass **** so get it out of your mind and come together for the good of the country. Unfortunately that is probably too idealistic. The senate was supposed to be that group but they have been bastardized.
                I think people overlook how big of a deal the Senate changing to rules for Supreme Court nominees will be in 50years. We now have a situation where a president and senate can nominate and approved the most far right or left people. Over time this has the potential to make the court strictly a political entity. It is possible that won't happen but I think it may be one of the biggest decisions in the country's history

EDIT I should have said this is an example of people who can discuss things without anger or going crazy over a differing opinion. I don't think that happens as much when people are in person.
                Hope is not a strategy
                RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
                  60, it is kind of funny to me. We agree on much but my guess is all three of us LEAN a little differently. I think that is true with most people. They all have things they agree on. Very few are on the far side. Yet the far side causes the most trouble. I would love to have a group of people in congress that were not dependent on their party so they could vote what is good for the country. A group that could tell the left that no you ain't getting that stupid ass **** and tell the right that no you ain't getting that stupid ass **** so get it out of your mind and come together for the good of the country. Unfortunately that is probably too idealistic. The senate was supposed to be that group but they have been bastardized.
                  I think people overlook how big of a deal the Senate changing to rules for Supreme Court nominees will be in 50years. We now have a situation where a president and senate can nominate and approved the most far right or left people. Over time this has the potential to make the court strictly a political entity. It is possible that won't happen but I think it may be one of the biggest decisions in the country's history

EDIT I should have said this is an example of people who can discuss things without anger or going crazy over a differing opinion. I don't think that happens as much when people are in person.

You're right ND. Here you can get your point stated without a screaming match that always happens if you "discuss" politics. There is no "discussion" because you just want the other person to see things like you do. I used to do that but it's totally off base for me now. MD knows me and said to me "I don't see you getting mad about anything" and he's pretty much right. I'm totally non confrontational off of the board. 2 of my closest friends are democrats and if something comes up they just get angry and I just shut my mouth because I know where it's going. They all think that I'm a republican and that's just not true. Why do I need a party to tell me how I should think about something? About the only thing that I ever get pissed about are the Eagles LOL. Even then it's tough to get me worked up unless you are just a total jerk. I do spout off on the board quite a bit but I apologize when I'm wrong.

Comment

Yea 60 the parties are FAR too strong. We have an old gal named Heidi Heitkamp coming up for reelection. She is a dem in a cherry red state. But she is pro gun, she is pro energy, the day after Gorsuch was nominated she came out saying that **** with Garland was wrong but two wrongs don't make a right. We need to vote on Gorsuch and let the chips fall where they may. She voted for him.
                    But the republicans are out in force already trying to unseat her and I think they will because there is BIG oil money and BIG party money that wants the seat. Doesn't matter if she is good or bad.
                    I believe in mixing it up. If it were up to me I would make them sit alphabetically in congress so they couldn't gather as a party. Kind of like the nuns used to do to me. Make me sit with people I didn't talk to
                    Hope is not a strategy
                    RIP

Comment

I think that when Republicans voted down Garland that killed any chance that these two parties ever be able to get together on anything. What has gone on since Obama got elected is ridiculous and is continuing now that Trump is in. Now both parties want to kill any chance of Trump succeeding so I guess that we're really screwed.

Comment

I dunno if there was a "tipping" point... I think this has been building for years and years.

I think one of the biggest problems (2 actually) is that while we all believe we are right in our beliefs we used to be willing to hear another side and keep an open mind. Not anymore! Now it seems to be my way or the highway sorta thinking. You can not be right because I am right. So therefore I have no need to listen to your logic or side of the story--- I am right so whatever you have to say really doesn't matter. Civility and lack of ego are (right now anyhow) a thing of the past.

And the second thing is this --- people get hung up on 1 particular issue! And all the rest don't seem to matter. This candidate is for this or against that one particular "idea" then he gets or loses a vote. IMM, this is just crazy. Lets take abortion for an example --- people actually vote strictly on this issue --- no matter what the rest of that candidates plans are. People are now soooooo focused on 1 issue that they lose sight of the bigger picture. Again I find this approach, frankly, stupid. There are a million moving parts in running a nation this size and for the 300+ million people here--- we should not let 1 single issue drive the country. Or in many cases "divide" the country. I know this is cliche in this PC world -- but what ever happened to the thought that lets do what is best for the majority of people. And I am not suggesting that minorities aren't taken into consideration but on big issues --- Why shouldn't all people that live here speak English and at least attempt to learn it? Why shouldn't people have to either work or be trained to work before being given lifelong welfare? Why should people be made to prove who they are BEFORE they are allowed to vote? Why shouldn't we the people have the right to say who does or doesn't have the right to come here? Why shouldn't we in America have the right to trade on a balanced field with the rest of the world?

Comment

Working...
                        X