Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else notice the parallels between the Asomugha signing and the Cliff Lee signing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else notice the parallels between the Asomugha signing and the Cliff Lee signing?

I'm totally amazed by the Nnamdi Asomugha signing, especially coming on the heels of the (IMO great) Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie & 2nd rounder for Kevin Kolb trade. (I think the Vince Young signing was a low risk, potentially high reward move too.) To me, this is a lot like the Phillies' unexpected signing of Cliff Lee last December. Actually, the parallels are eerie:

1) Both Lee and Asomugha were arguably the most-prized free agents on the market in their sports.

2) Both the Phillies and Eagles already were pretty strong at Lee's and Asomugha's positions, which are arguably the most important defensive positions in their respective sports (clearly so in baseball, possibly so in football).

3) Neither the Phillies and Eagles were looked at as serious contenders, at least by the national media, in the Lee and Asomugha sweepstakes. In both cases, the Phillies' and Eagles' signings were considered unexpected and stunning.

4) In both cases, a championship-contending team from New York in the opposite league/conference from the Phillies/Eagles was considered the strongest suitor for the prize free agent and came up empty.

5) In both cases, a playoff-contending team from the Dallas/Fort Worth area was also considered a strong suitor for the prize free agent ultimately signed by the Phillies/Eagles.

These free agent signings are pretty amazing, huh?

Let's hope that both signing result in championships for the respective teams!
    "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

Originally posted by stocknowledge View Post
      Let's hope that both signing result in championships for the respective teams!
      Yeah, and on an unrelated note there is one other thing that is similar between the Eagles and Phillies - FUCK THE GIANTS!!!

(I just wish the Phillies had the SF Giants' number like the Eagles currently have the NY Giants' number.)

Comment

On a night when the Birds have stolen the news,the Phils lead by a TD and 2 Pt conversion
        We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

So can we stop calling Howie Roseman the ferret?
          Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

Originally posted by leifdawg View Post
            He seemed totally giddy with what he's made happen. kudos and keep going.
            We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

I think its time for all of us to admit (and I did a long time ago) that this franchise is just really well run. For the most part, the players respect and like the coaches and owner. The front office is right most of the time. They aren't afraid to make the hard decisions and take risks. They will pull the plug early if they don't like what they see from a guy like Mike Bell and Antwan Barnes last year. They are 2 Super Bowls shy of being discussed as the best run franchise in professional sports IMO.
              You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Right AW all they need is a championship now and then I'll beleive. It took the WS win in '08 to really make be believe that the Phils were becoming a legitimate team. Until then they were still the poorly run cheap team whose owners needed to sell to give us a shot at winning.....right up until they won it!!
                Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Originally posted by andrewaters View Post
                  I think its time for all of us to admit (and I did a long time ago) that this franchise is just really well run. For the most part, the players respect and like the coaches and owner. The front office is right most of the time. They aren't afraid to make the hard decisions and take risks. They will pull the plug early if they don't like what they see from a guy like Mike Bell and Antwan Barnes last year. They are 2 Super Bowls shy of being discussed as the best run franchise in professional sports IMO.
                  Though I think the last sentence is a bit strong, I concur pretty much 100% (and I've long thought the Eagles have been a top franchise for most of Jeff Lurie's tenure as owner, though he should have kept his mouth shut when he made his "gold standard" comments).

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
                    On a night when the Birds have stolen the news,the Phils lead by a TD and 2 Pt conversion
                    Against Shittsburgh!!!

(Yes, you now have confirmation that this is the real CHIP72. )

Comment

Originally posted by andrewaters View Post
                      Two superbowls is a pretty significant distance Yes I think they've been extremely well-run since Reid got here; despite his flaws I shudder of going back to the way they were before he arrived. Still, there has been a very gradual talent drain on defense, and it does not feel like we have been real close to a super bowl since, say, 2006. I love always been in contention, but we need to get back to that 12-4 record area.

Even this year, it is *far* from assured, maybe even making the playoffs. I'm sure the rookie kicker is great, but we'll have to see about him, and the punter I have no idea. Being a professional job, in front of these fans, can change things sometimes. We still have to pay DeSean somehow -- feels like we really need him to be great. We have a brand new defensive staff with a very inexperienced defensive coordinator -- that does have the potential to blow up big time. For the first time in a while, I really have no idea what to expect if our QB does down. And the linebacker corps could be anywhere from great to having no NFL-caliber players at all -- coaches have a better feel I'm sure, but as a fan you like to have at least someone in there that has done the job at a high level before. They still have plenty of time to address that, but many things could blow up on us.

So... there are a ton of question marks, to me. I still won't get my hopes up for more than say 10 wins until I see how it works on the field. But the CB position sure looks as good as it has since Vincent/Taylor, and that is definitely a major talent injection. The DL could be the best in quite some time too -- that is probably the key there.

Comment

Originally posted by leifdawg View Post
                        Well he's certainly given us something to get excited about for a change! I remember last year when he was making all his brilliant moves for the 53rd spot on the roster and everyone was squirting about them. Of course each one of these guys was cut a month later. Right now he's a loveable ferret.
                        "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Working...
                        X