Yikes-Mack the Knife IRed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yikes-Mack the Knife IRed

Here’s a bad surprise: the Philadelphia Eagles are placing second-year wide receiver Mack Hollins on injured reserve, according to an official announcement from the team.

Hollins hasn’t been in action since the Eagles’ first preseason game against the Steelers on August 9. There was thought he might be able to return to the field this week — Hollins himself said he expected to play on Thursday night — but that hope quickly dissipated. On Tuesday, Doug Pederson said Hollins suffered a “minor setback” related to his groin injury and ruled him out of the Eagles’ Thursday night contest against the Atlanta Falcons.

Hollins isn’t necessarily out for the season just because he’s been placed on the injured reserve list. He’s eligible to be activated after Week 8 since NFL teams are allowed to return two players from IR per season. There’s some buzz Hollins could be back later this year. Veteran tight end Richard Rodgers is another candidate for such designation.

In the meantime, Hollins’ absence is another significant hit to Philadelphia’s wide receiver corps. With Hollins out and Alshon Jeffery possibly not back until Week 3, the Eagles are currently without two of their top receivers. This development means the Eagles only have five healthy wide receivers: Mike Wallace, Nelson Agholor, Shelton Gibson, DeAndre Carter, and Markus Wheaton. Philadelphia also kept Rashard Davis and Greg Ward Jr. on the practice squad.

Hollins’ absence opens a window of opportunity for Gibson, who looked much improved during the summer, to step up. Carter and Wheaton could also get some opportunities as well. Wheaton seems most like a direct replacement for Hollins’ role in the short-term.

Placing Hollins on injured reserve frees up a roster spot. The Eagles will soon need to make some more changes to the roster when Nigel Bradham and Deiondre’ Hall are done serving their suspensions tomorrow and begin to count against the 53-man limit.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

IR no longer the death penalty of the year.... But this IMM isn't nearly the loss of Jeffries or Badham are.... So I just gotta roll with it and hope the young guys respond and we discover a new weapon.

Comment

I believe Gibson jumped over Hollins on the depth chart this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Rossovich View Post
        I believe Gibson jumped over Hollins on the depth chart this year.
        I also read someplace today where Gibson was cleared from concussion protocol. Huh?

Comment

Here it is

Betting Tools
          NFL HomeScoresMatchupsTeamsStandingsSchedulesInjuriesN ewsBuy PicksOdds

Besides the absence of Jeffery due to a shoulder injury, backup WR Mack Hollins will also miss the contest. That makes the inclusion of Shelton Gibson after getting through concussion protocol a big deal as the Eagles look to piece together a receiving corps for Foles, who will have new options in Mike Wallace, Markus Wheaton and DeAndre Carter.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
            I also read someplace today where Gibson was cleared from concussion protocol. Huh?
            New to me. When did it occur?

Comment

Working...
            X