Clear All

• Jenkins situation looking better

Breaking News
    Malcolm Jenkins reports for mandatory minicamp

Report: Malcolm Jenkins has shown up for Eagles mandatory minicamp
    Well, here’s a surprise.

By Brandon Lee Gowton@BrandonGowton Updated Jun 10, 2019, 12:05pm EDT

Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports
    So it looks like Malcolm Jenkins won’t be missing the Philadelphia Eagles’ mandatory minicamp after all. NFL insider Adam Schefter reports Jenkins showed up to the NovaCare Complex on Monday:

Adam Schefter

@AdamSchefter
    Eagles’ safety Malcolm Jenkins has reported for his team physical and will be in attendance for the team’s mandatory minicamp that begins Tuesday, per source. Jenkins is said to be excited to be with his teammates and focused on the 2019 season as an Eagle.

11:00 AM - Jun 10, 2019
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    930 people are talking about this
    This development comes as a surprise. Schefter previously said he didn’t expect Jenkins to be at minicamp. Howard Eskin also echoed that sentiment earlier today. As of last week, Schefter said: “I think that [the Eagles] know this is going to be an issue that will carry into and beyond next week.”

So ... what changed? There’s no news of Jenkins receiving a raise. Did Jenkins come off his stance? Did the team promise to negotiate with him if he showed up to minicamp in good faith?

It’s worth noting that Schefter’s tweet doesn’t explicitly say that Jenkins will actually practice with the team this week. Maybe Jenkins showed up to avoid being fined but won’t actually participate in team drills until his demands are met.

Jenkins is scheduled to be available to reporters in the Eagles locker room around 4:30 PM ET on Tuesday. We’ll see if we hear more from him then.

UPDATE: Here’s a report that indicates Jenkins IS having contract talks with the Eagles.

Sharrie Williams

@WilliamsSharrie
    Source with direct knowledge tells me @MalcolmJenkins will be at mandatory minicamp Tuesday. No changes to current deal. But talks on-going with @Eagles and heading in a direction that now has him committed to attend. @6abc #Eagles #MalcolmJenkins #Breaking

11:16 AM - Jun 10, 2019
    53 people are talking about this
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Well there's no holdout-yet anyway

Let's hope that they work it out

Malcolm Jenkins: “I feel like I’ve outplayed that contract”
    Talks with Eagles are “ongoing.”

By Brandon Lee Gowton@BrandonGowton Jun 11, 2019, 5:12pm EDT

Malcolm Jenkins spoke with reporters following the Philadelphia Eagles’ minicamp practice on Tuesday and he wasn’t shy to talk about why he skipped voluntary OTAs for the first time in his career.

“As a player, I feel I’ve outplayed that contract.”

He also added:

Dave Zangaro

@DZangaroNBCS
    Replying to @DZangaroNBCS
    "When you’re under contract, you can’t be out to be the highest paid out there, nor do I want to be, but you want to be within the ballpark of what your value is." -- Malcolm Jenkins

5:02 PM - Jun 11, 2019
    See Dave Zangaro's other Tweets
    So, is Jenkins confident a new deal can be reached?

“Those things are ongoing. For me, I hire an agent to have those conversations. Mr. [Jeffrey] Lurie hires the GM to handle those conversations. So, I’m here. I’m focused solely on making sure that the product on the field is the standard that I want.”

Jenkins previously hadn’t directly expressed displeasure with his contract situation — which caused some to question reports that suggested he was unhappy — but now it’s clear.

The feeling here is that Jenkins and the Eagles will ultimately find a way to come up with an agreement that works for both sides. Jenkins has a legitimate case to ask for a raise and the Eagles would be wise to make him happy.

In the meantime, it’s nice for the Eagles to have Jenkins back at practice.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

While I understand Jenkins stance and I also value the concept of "a contract is a contract" I just think it would be best for the player, the league and the team if these disputes were private.

Comment

Working...
      X