Defensive statistics..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defensive statistics..

The Eagles defense is currently #32 in the league in yards per game at 419.3. Narrowly edging out the Cowboys and Redskins for the dubious distinction.

However, they have moved all the way up to #21 in points allowed per game at 25.7.

It appears that they are getting better at holding teams out of the endzone, but they are still giving up tons of yardage.

Third down percentage seems to be improving as well, as they are now down to allowing 40% on third down.

Troubling stat of the day..the Eagles are leading the league in defensive penalties, and it's not even close. 76 flags for 642 yards. That's ridiculous.

They're #32 in TOP as well, even if Chip doesn't worry about it.

I get the feeling from watching the games that the defense is improving, but they still got a long way to go.

The last 5 games:

21 pts (3 TDs)
    20 pts (2 TDs)
    17 pts (2 TDs)
    15 pts (0 TDs)
    20 pts (2 TDs - 1 in garbage time)

Not great but JJ used to always use 17 pts as the goal so were not far off.
    Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

Told people 10 years ago TOP was over rated and that the # of plays was a better way to gauge the "wearing out of defenses", nobody wanted to listen then.

The offense # of plays goes way more to tiring out a D than just the TOP. Sometimes your own offense can hurt your defense buy scoring so quickly.

Comment

EB, it's pretty hard to fault them for allowing a lot of yardage when they are facing 92 snaps. JJ's defenses were know to allow some yardage between the 20's, but tended to stiffen when it mattered and made their bones by keeping teams out of the E Z.

I'd be curious as to how they stacked up even with the yardage if one considers the snap counts, or even T.O.P.

However, stats aside, you can not miss the fact that they are playing BETTER. Missed tackles are down as are blatantly blown assignments. The penalties stat does bother me, tho. I suspect many are of the PI variety....which is good in tat we are challenging the receivers. Just need to clean that up!
        http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH View Post
          EB, it's pretty hard to fault them for allowing a lot of yardage when they are facing 92 snaps. JJ's defenses were know to allow some yardage between the 20's, but tended to stiffen when it mattered and made their bones by keeping teams out of the E Z.

I'd be curious as to how they stacked up even with the yardage if one considers the snap counts, or even T.O.P.

However, stats aside, you can not miss the fact that they are playing BETTER. Missed tackles are down as are blatantly blown assignments. The penalties stat does bother me, tho. I suspect many are of the PI variety....which is good in tat we are challenging the receivers. Just need to clean that up!
          I agree that they're playing better. I'm not saying they're not, and I'm not faulting them for giving up a ton of yardage, or not being able to get off the field on 3rd down (which is improving). What the stats show are that they are still a long way from championship caliber. They still have a long way to go.

The penalties are a major issue. The Eagles' D has 76 of them. The next closest team has 66. That is unacceptable under any circumstances, and I would imagine that a lot of those penalties extended drives and ended in points. They've got to get that fixed.

I think we all knew the defense was going to struggle this season, and we were looking for improvement. I think we're getting that. But, they still have a long way to go.

Comment

Coming into the season the D was my biggest worry. They have shown in the first half that they are actually better than I expected and they are improving. The fact that they are getting better is all I care about at this point. I wrote this season off as a rebuilding year so as long as I see improvement and steady progress I'll be happy.
            Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
            Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Coleman isn't playing D, that alone has me doing cartwheels
              We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by Jukin View Post
                Coming into the season the D was my biggest worry. They have shown in the first half that they are actually better than I expected and they are improving. The fact that they are getting better is all I care about at this point. I wrote this season off as a rebuilding year so as long as I see improvement and steady progress I'll be happy.
                Exactly my thoughts for this season.

Comment

Logan is doing a nice job replacing lardass Soap

http://www.phillymag.com/birds247/20.../#more-1799951
                  "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Because the offense scores quickly, the total yards per game stat is not as relevant. The Eagles D is currently 22nd in yards per play and 21st in scoring defense.

Comment

nice read 60
                      I thought both sides of the football would get better as the season wore on and believe that to be happening. Hopefully Foles continues with games close to this past week and Wolff,Kendricks,Barwin and Ryans continue to lead the Defense. The points per game are improving, but really good teams are going to throttle you if you give up 580 yards of offense. JMO, but I believe Wolff is making a big difference,as he makes this D almost a 3-5 and he couldn't do that if the DBs were not doing a decent job as well.
                      this unit could get better than average till the season is over.
                      We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Working...
                      X