Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Go down fighting!!!

How do you punt?

The saints were pretty much able to run at will by the end. The D was worn out. Everyone in the world knew they'd get a 1st down and the game would be over.

I would have rather gone down with a shot and seen them not make a first down and give the ball over on downs. We still would have had the same chance to use the remaining timeouts and maybe get the ball back. It's midfield...less than 2 minutes remaining. You get a turn over...Young commits a penalty - which sucks, but it happens...take a fucking shot Andy! Have some balls...

I have generally been a supporter of Reid since he got here. He had a plan and proved to be right more than he was wrong. His play calling and clock management has always been suspect, but how can you really argue with the results.

I'm not saying fire Andy Reid, but seriously...show your balls! go down fighting...give yourself a chance.

damnit...

I agree. That flat out sucked. Punting was essentially pointless given the situation that we were in.

Comment

It was a stupid call given the risks.
      What can you say, we lost and
      this was part of it.

Comment

Uhm, not to sound like an aftermath prophet, but I think that if Donovan is the QB, Reid doesn't punt...
        "You will dress only in attire specially sanctioned by P.E. special services… You are no longer part of the system. You are above the system, over it, beyond it. We're "them." We're "they." We are the Men in Green."

Comment

I'm gonna not try and play the blame game that much, but the punt call could have gone either way, and a case could be made for it either way.

IMO, the O and the D and ST's all contributed to this loss, this game was IMO, won or lost in the trenches and field position.

And I am not gonna sit here and think that the Eagles were playing in a vacuum, they played a very good and well prepared and well rested Saints team that didn't panic or give up--- sometimes the other guy is just better on that day.

We played our B- game they played a B+/A- game... and my hat's off to them.

Comment

Reid DID have the stones to go for it on 4th and 10. And we made it!!! (Save for a stupid falses start). I PROBABLY would have gone for it on 4th and 15, but lets not roast Reid over that. VERY tough call, he made it, and he will live with it. But he does not deserve to get second guessed by every segment of the media and fandom. Come on now.

Now, if oyu want to discuss a few other placalls, like whenwe had 2nd and 1 near the goal lin...that's fair enough.
            http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

We had our chances.

I think, most of us would have gone for it again. BUT, the defense had the chance to stop the 'aints, and they failed one last time.

It was a tough loss to swallow. No excuses. The saints beat us. Congrats to them.

Comment

all props to the saints...they played well

still, when you have one last best chance you have to take it. I am not one to generally question calls, etc, but you can't punt there. Just like you cant throw the ball short of the goal line with less than 10 sec and no time outs...

I am happy with the year...I am happy with the run...I'd even be happy with the result had they tried on 4th down and failed...at least they would have taken their best shot.

Comment

the eagles were roasting their DB's in the 15 to 25 yard range. the stop/goes and double moves were killing them. line up 5 wide and take your best shot. hit westy for a screen pass...send stallworth deep. look for lewis/basket across the middle.

it is so dissappointing to see them punt the game away.

Comment

I punt on 4th & 15. They just went from the elation of getting the first to the dejection of screwing up. There are far fewer 15 yard plays in the playbook than 10 yard plays. And while they got that 4th & 10, it was ridiculously close to a sack. AND, the Saints were 5 yards closer to a FG after the penalty and if you don't pick it up, or god forbid get sacked, you're looking at being down 6 on your own 30 w/1:00 or down 3 on your own 40 w/1:00 left.

The question deserves to be asked, but the correct call is to punt, IMO. Either way, it's not a slam dunk.

And I don't think it's fair to say they didn't fight by punting. They fought their asses off until the final second ticked off the clock.

Comment

Originally posted by EFD
                      I punt on 4th & 15. They just went from the elation of getting the first to the dejection of screwing up. There are far fewer 15 yard plays in the playbook than 10 yard plays. And while they got that 4th & 10, it was ridiculously close to a sack. AND, the Saints were 5 yards closer to a FG after the penalty and if you don't pick it up, or god forbid get sacked, you're looking at being down 6 on your own 30 w/1:00 or down 3 on your own 40 w/1:00 left.

The question deserves to be asked, but the correct call is to punt, IMO. Either way, it's not a slam dunk.

And I don't think it's fair to say they didn't fight by punting. They fought their asses off until the final second ticked off the clock.
                      give them the f'n field goal and get the ball back...a touchdown still wins. you never give up the chance to control the game and that is what reid did

Comment

Originally posted by bird is da word
                        Originally posted by EFD

give them the f'n field goal and get the ball back...a touchdown still wins. you never give up the chance to control the game and that is what reid did
                        So you're saying that it's better to have the ball with 1:00 left, down by 6, with the ball on your own 25 (the expected Reno return) rather than 1:00 left, down by 3, with the ball on your own 40 (estimate based on the Saints receiving our punt on their 20)? That's crazy talk.

Situation A - you have 1:00 to go 75 yards w/no timeouts to win
                        Situation B - you have 1:00 to go 25 yards w/no timeouts to tie

Comment

i think we should factor into the decision that we've spent 8 quarters this season not stopping the saints offense and deuce mcallister's 7 YPC average.
                          socratee.spreadshirt.com

Comment

Originally posted by heath sherman
                            i think we should factor into the decision that we've spent 8 quarters this season not stopping the saints offense and deuce mcallister's 7 YPC average.
                            That's fair. But you should also factor in that when he racked that 7 YPC average the Eagles were geared up to stop the run AND the pass. In that situation you load up to stop the run, and therefore should expect you'd be able to do better. They didn't, of course, but that's not known at the time of the decision.

Comment

Originally posted by EFD
                              Originally posted by bird is da word
                              Originally posted by EFD

So you're saying that it's better to have the ball with 1:00 left, down by 6, with the ball on your own 25 (the expected Reno return) rather than 1:00 left, down by 3, with the ball on your own 40 (estimate based on the Saints receiving our punt on their 20)? That's crazy talk.

Situation A - you have 1:00 to go 75 yards w/no timeouts to win
                              Situation B - you have 1:00 to go 25 yards w/no timeouts to tie
                              wrong...you need to factor

A - eagles get the first down and continue the drive on 4th and 15

why leave that play on the sidelines...punting gave the game away. I closed down the TV and shut off the lights and went to bed after that stupid fucking punt

Comment

Working...
                              X