No announcement yet.

What to do with Alshon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Even if these stories are true they are certainly overblown. Who says 2 guys have to love each other to play with each other anyway?
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

T O put up a bunch of great seasons and everyone in the universe knows he's an obnoxious asshole with a huge slice of cockhead on the side. He got his and still bitched when he was wasn't the crunch time option
      We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Roob sez go...

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelph...0-observations

ALSHON VS. JAMES THRASH: Forget all the Carson stuff. Forget about the injuries and the terrible body language and the awful contract and the dropped passes that turned into Nick Foles interceptions in the Super Bowl and the playoff loss to the Saints.

Let’s just focus on production, and Alshon Jeffery in three seasons in an Eagles uniform has 165 catches, 2,122 yards and 19 touchdowns.

Let’s do a little comparison of three WRs. These are averages based on their years when they were regulars on the Eagles:

Todd Pinkston: 44 catches, 659 yards, 15.0 ypc, 4.0 TDs

James Thrash: 55 catches, 675 yards, 12.4 ypc, 5.0 TDs

Alshon Jeffery: 55 catches, 707 yards, 12.9 ypc, 6 TDs

Jeffery did have a big 2017 postseason, but for the most part he’s been a pedestrian receiver since he’s been here. He’s the 14th-highest-paid WR in the NFL, but since 2017 he’s 37th among WRs in yards per game (54).

He’s an underachieving, overpaid, injury-prone 30-year-old James Thrash clone. Howie’s gotta find an exit strategy.

Comment

Lawlor seems to think he wants out too. I truly wonder if these guys have heard something that they cannot fully disclose...

http://igglesblitz.com/2020/02/as-the-world-turns/

It sure feels like this will be the offseason of Alshon. Will he be cut? Is there any way he could be traded? Will he leak any comments to Josina Anderson to unleash to the public? Are we talking football or the plot of a soap opera? So many questions, so few answers.

Jets reporter Connor Hughes had an interesting tidbit in a piece in The Athletic.

The Eagles are looking to move Jeffery, league sources confirmed to The Athletic. And Jeffery would welcome the change of scenery.

There is no question the Eagles would love to move Jeffery. That’s not news.
          The other comment is interesting. You wonder who said that to Hughes, or was he making an educated guess?

I assume Hughes heard something from Jeffery. Or his agent. Or Josina Anderson. And it does make sense. I’m sure Jeffery would like to get out of Philly. Things have gotten awkward so I can see him wanting to move on.
          Jeffery’s agent responded to this report.

Jeffery is a long shot to return to the Eagles so he’s got the freedom to speak his mind.

His agent made the standard PR move in acting as if all is well. You wonder if that is the agent just trying to make Jeffery more appealing to other teams. “He won’t be a distraction!”

Is it possible Jeffery actually is okay with the Eagles and does have interest in staying put?

Jimmy Bama wrote a thorough piece on Jeffery and his complicated situation. Why Howie, why? It that contract wasn’t guaranteed, Jeffery would have one foot (the healthy one) out the door already.

There is an argument for the Eagles keeping Jeffery because the team is so thin at WR right now. That aside, I think the Eagles have to cut him. Stories about Jeffery are probably going to keep popping up. We don’t know he was the source for this item, but the point is that there is a lot of noise surrounding Jeffery and that isn’t likely to go away. He will be a distraction.

The Eagles need everyone on the same page and working together. Having a star player leak complaints just isn’t healthy.

This isn’t some TO type of circus with a star player dividing the locker room and ripping the team apart. This is a veteran player griping to sources when he’s not happy. That certainly isn’t a good thing, but Jeffery isn’t nuts. He’s just not happy, for whatever reason.

Keep your fingers crossed that a new CBA gets approved so the Eagles can cut Jeffery and it won’t hurt as much

Comment

Lawlor it looks like was just parroting what he read from the Connors guy!!!

It's how news is reported these days.

Comment

Did Pinky and Thrash have a pair of TEs that caught 150 passes for over 1500 yards and 11 TDs. I happen to think 700 yds in this O with 5-8 TDs will be outstanding numbers if Ertz and Goedert get theirs and DJax gets his avg(which includes a short 2019 season) of 50-868-5-17.4. If everyone plays their roll, I also think the RBs will improve their YPC AVG which was a very good 4.3 for the season as well as averaging more per catch . Scott, Sanders and Howard averaged 9.3 this season.
              I said before if they want to release Jeffery, that's cool IF there is a tall , strong, athletic WR on the team to make the tough catch , who can catch the 3-5 yd pass and get 2-3 tough yards for a TD or first a down . A healthy Alshon with this group could be a big deal.
              We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Man, I don't know. Anyone in their right mind takes these questionably sourced offseason reports with a heavy grain of salt. But, the Eagles work in mysterious ways sometimes. Remember all the gang related nonsense that got floated to the media before they cut D Jax? Now, take a look at Alshon's production, his ability to stay healthy, and his contract. And, lo and behold, he's a poison in the building, leaking information to the press, and yada yada yada. There could very well be some smoke to go along with this fire. It's possible that he simply doesn't like Wentz, was a bit disgruntled, and decided to air it out to some no-name reporter. And, of course the rest of the reporters smelled click bait, so they picked it up and ran with it. Who knows?

I don't think it matters much. The Eagles simply must get at least one blue chip WR in this draft. It is critical. Alshon might get cut, or traded, and if not this is his last year in green anyway. Time to move on, and get younger regardless. Jeffery is overpaid, and can't stay healthy. It's that simple, whether he ran his mouth or not.

Comment

https://www.espn.com/blog/philadelph...ith-the-eagles

Comment

Doug on Alshon and Carson, "But there were no issues between those two."
                    I think we draft a WR. We try to go with Alshon and DJ this year, but they are both gone next year, unless they both stay healthy for most of the year.
                    Fly EaglesFly!

Comment

Originally posted by beagle View Post
                      Doug on Alshon and Carson, "But there were no issues between those two."
                      I think we draft a WR. We try to go with Alshon and DJ this year, but they are both gone next year, unless they both stay healthy for most of the year.
                      Yep. Likely drafting two, or one FA and one pick. Howie mentioned looking at a three yr window. They want to get younger too. Whatever they do will be in accordance with that, generally speaking.

Comment

Doug is going to say that. No way he comes out in February and say anything is wrong between them.
                        Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                        Hope is not a strategy
                        RIP

Comment

Working...
                        X