Register blog | Columns | Amazon FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read mobile style

Go Back   Philly.Sportscolumn.com > Everything Else > Entertainment

Old 06-21-2006, 03:38 PM   #1
BIGPHILLY
Hall of Famer

BIGPHILLY has disabled reputation
Default BIG PHILLY Goes to the Movies (CARS Review 7/28/06)

I will be seeing a bunch of summer movies as they all pique my interest. Over the next 6-8 weeks I'll be reviewing:

Nacho Libre (6/22/06)
Superman
CARS
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
X-Men: The Last Stand

Tonight I go see NACHO LIBRE. Review tomorrow...

---------------------------------- -------------------------------------------

FYI - My rating scale is based out of 5 "Yoda Heads" in honor of my favorite movies (Star Wars Sixogy) and the character YODA.

- "Rather Die than Watch Again I would"
- "Fantastic 4 Quality This Is"
- "DVD this one you might"
- "See in Theater You Must!"
- "Would own DVD and see while in the Theater would I"

NFC East Titles:
Playoff Appearances:
NFC Title Games:
Super Bowl Titles:
BIGPHILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 03:46 PM   #2
stevemc 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

stevemc has disabled reputation

I'll be very curious about your nacho libre review. I'm a huge Jack Black fan but haven't had the chance to get out to the movies to see this one. The reviews have been mixed so I'm hoping it gets the BP approval.
stevemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 03:53 PM   #3
sfphillyfan 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

sfphillyfan will become famous soon enough

I might go see Nacho Libre tomorrow or Friday. I'm psyched even though it got lukewarm reviews by the critics.
The views and opinions expressed above are those of sfphillyfan and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of EFO or the administration. And to further confuse you, here's a pic of Kate Beckinsale:
:
sfphillyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 04:22 PM   #4
BIGPHILLY
Hall of Famer

I can tell you that I'm a huge Napoleon Dynamite fan and I'm really looking forward to this movie. So I may not be so objective. My early thought - with no exposure outside of the trailers - is that I'll want to own the DVD on this one.

But you never know.

FWIW - Most of the bashing reviews come across as critics who don't get the genre - not that the movie is poor.

NFC East Titles:
Playoff Appearances:
NFC Title Games:
Super Bowl Titles:
Old 06-22-2006, 10:43 AM   #5
BIGPHILLY
Hall of Famer

Coming...busy today...it was freaking funny though...

NFC East Titles:
Playoff Appearances:
NFC Title Games:
Super Bowl Titles:
Old 06-22-2006, 01:50 PM   #6
2nd and Arch
Starter

2nd and Arch has disabled reputation

Shouldn't the Yoda scale be in postfix, i.e. predicate first?

"Rather Die than Watch Again I would"
"Fantastic 4 Quality This Is"
"DVD this one you might"
"See in Theater You Must!"

etc.
2nd and Arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 01:56 PM   #7
trufresh17
Veteran

trufresh17 has disabled reputation
Send a message via Yahoo to trufresh17

"Get down do you? Good blow this is."

Anyone see that Chapelle spoof?
Old 06-22-2006, 03:08 PM   #8
BIGPHILLY
Hall of Famer

NACHO LIBRE - 2006

* Well - let's start right in and say that this movie is extremely funny in an intelligent way. If you do not like Napoleon Dynamite or find Jack Black in movies like School of Rock annoying - then save your money. If you thought both of those movies were hilarious and a "New Breed" of humor - breaking from the redundant "Owen Wilson - Vince Vaughn - Ben Stiller - Here's some more Vince Vaughn" humor that currently invades our theaters - then this movie is a must see.

The star of the show is JACK BLACK who in many ways redefines himself with his half Scandanavian / half Mexican heritage as the character Ignacio (Wrestling Name: "Nacho"). His hilarious accent and overall portrayal of a disenchanted "Friar" who greatly desires to be a pro wrestler is a good fit for him.

What will go unnoticed is the "2nd" Star of this movie. The little boy "Chanco" who absolutely is critical to the humor/storyline of this movie. Nacho loves Chanco (PIG in Spanish - One of the orphans) and he reminds him of himself as a child (Loves wrestling, Orphan and Fat) AND while he pushes hard to wrestle for "fame" he soon discovers he would rather wrestle for the KIDS - in particular "Chanco".

That's the story. Period.

The execution of the story is where you will get a mixed bag of viewers saying "This movie stinks" and "This movie is brilliant".

Example:

Training Scene: When Nacho and his wrestling tag team partner Esqueleto (Skeleton in Spanish) decide to become amateur wrestlers - they throw bee hives, melons and horse poop at each other in an otherwise meaningless scene but it's FREAKING HILARIOUS. The inane nature of the scene will make you laugh in a similar way as you laughed when PEDRO and Napoleon were going over the Jump on his Sledgehammer in ND or when Uncle Rico threw a Steak in Napoleon's face. It's funny.

Wrestling Matches: These are beautifully done. They have a number of amateur matches and one special match - but the quality and humor in the ring are just superb. One particular scene gives the pre fight breakdown and specs on all 10 "cage match" participants. It's hysterical.

- Look - there are a ton of "fart" noises and Jack Black breaks out into song twice - which quickly makes you remember who he "Really" is - which is not too bad but could have been without. You know that going in. The question for the viewing audience is whether you are willing to accept the movie and go with it - or be skeptical. If you go with it...it makes you laugh a ton...Like its half brother Napoleon Dynamite - this movie will get better after every viewing. That I promise...

NOTE: The music in the movie is perfect. I mean perfect. The timing and mood of the music is simply brilliant. There is a Mexican song entitled HOMBRE RELIGIOSO (Religious Man) that is played throughout the movie and is just awesome and so perfect for the movie.

I'm going to buy the DVD but for the average viewer I give NACHO LIBRE a rating of:

3 Yodas - See in the Theater at Least!

NFC East Titles:
Playoff Appearances:
NFC Title Games:
Super Bowl Titles:
Old 06-22-2006, 03:27 PM   #9
stevemc 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

stevemc has disabled reputation

Thanks BP - this seals it for me. I gotta go to this and soon.
stevemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 07:42 PM   #10
sfphillyfan 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

sfphillyfan will become famous soon enough

I just saw it and I agree with the three rating. Unless you're a Jack Black fan, you should save your $10. I got some good laughs out of it. However I would say that Napolean Dynamite is much more quotable FWIW.
The views and opinions expressed above are those of sfphillyfan and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of EFO or the administration. And to further confuse you, here's a pic of Kate Beckinsale:
:
sfphillyfan is offline   Reply With Quote