Register blog | Columns | Amazon FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read mobile style

Go Back   Philly.Sportscolumn.com > Philly Sports > Eagles Fans Only 2017

Old 06-08-2019, 01:09 PM   #11
Eagle60 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

Eagle60 will become famous soon enough

My Dad was in Patton's 14th Armored Division and they went in through the Mediterranean Sea. I don't know why they all didn't go that way because there wasn't too much resistance. Anyway he could never go near an ocean again because of the smell of it made him sick. He was sick the whole time on the sail over. They were packed in like sardines and they lost a bunch of soldiers due to sea sickness. Incredible times.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:32 AM   #12
ThoughtProcess
2011 Contributor
Hall of Famer

ThoughtProcess has disabled reputation

While I was growing up, I'd mow the neighbors' lawns for cash. One of my neighbors was a Navy vet who served in the Pacific theater. He had the specialized Submarine service license plate on his Ford. As I cut his grass, I mustered up the courage to ask him about his experiences back then. His mood shifted from cheerful to dark and angry. He told me that he'd been a POW and to never ever ask him about it again. He stormed inside, and left me standing, apologizing, outside by my mower.
ThoughtProcess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 10:43 AM   #13
ThoughtProcess
2011 Contributor
Hall of Famer

I also had a woodworking class in middle school, and my teacher was a Korean War vet. He had flags and military memorabilia on his desk, and we'd sometimes ask him about the stuff, and he'd oblige us. One day he was talking to a group of us and some kid puts his wood block on the wrong end of the sanding wheel. The wheel grabbed the wood block and flung it across the room against a wall. It hit with a loud crack, almost like a rifle shot. The teacher dove onto the ground and belly-crawled to the classroom door. His eyes were opened wide like he saw a ghost. He crawled right out of the classroom as some of us students called his name. He wouldn't turn around, and a student ended up running to the principal's office for help. That teacher ended up taking a six month sabbatical after that. We thought he'd gone crazy.

As an adult I realize now that my shop teacher likely suffered from PTSD.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:47 AM   #14
ThoughtProcess
2011 Contributor
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vet Turf View Post
I get what you are saying but on the flip side I just don't think they have any frame of reference to what happened in the middle of the last century. Wars and conflicts now are localized and fought like it is a video game. Most probably don't appreciate it but without the reference I can't fault them too much and to be honest that is a good thing.

Generally speaking, I agree with this.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:50 AM   #15
ThoughtProcess
2011 Contributor
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDFAN View Post
Education is supposed to help them learn what NOT to do also, so that they may recognize what is happening now!

Schools at fault and the PC numbnuts running them.

I agree with this also, but I'll add that underfunding/erosion of the tax base also impacts education negatively in addition to PC gone wild.
Old 06-09-2019, 12:01 PM   #16
Eagle60 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

Eagle60 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoughtProcess View Post
I agree with this also, but I'll add that underfunding/erosion of the tax base also impacts education negatively in addition to PC gone wild.
As a retired teacher I can tell you that you are right in that it's underfunded TP, but the PC bullshit is totally out of control. You can't even question a kid for not standing for the Pledge of Allegiance. In fact you can't question them about anything that they do. They've made it an impossible job now with no accountability for kids and I feel sorry for my younger friends that are still in it. They are pretty much forced to give a kid an A or a B, drink heavily and send them on their way .
Old 06-09-2019, 02:06 PM   #17
andrewaters 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

andrewaters will become famous soon enough

Donít sweat it man. I know itís the 6th too but I get Dec 7 stuck in my head as well. I think kids would care about it if it was taught differently meaning teach it with entertainment. Show high school kids Band of Brothers or a Ken Burns documentary and then talk about it. They will get the sacrifice aspect of it eventually.