Register blog | Columns | Amazon FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read mobile style

Go Back   Philly.Sportscolumn.com > Everything Else > Entertainment

Old 06-06-2006, 09:58 AM   #31
stevemc 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

stevemc has disabled reputation

vin - I'm digging the Jenny Lewis - thanks!

I'm seeing Mike Doughty at the TLA on the 15th.
stevemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 04:53 PM   #32
2nd and Arch
Starter

2nd and Arch has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfphillyfan
They always deliver.
How did you sneak to the 5th row?
Heh. My question was more along the lines of "How did you even get tickets?"

I tried to get MSG tix at 10:00 am the minute they went on sale, no dice whatsoever. I miss the days of just letting people camp out at a box office if they were dedicated and crazy enough to want good seats for a big band. I had to work late that night, so I would have happily took the train back to Penn Station, grabbed a quart of coffee, and plopped my ass down on 33rd street for 7 hours.

Nowadays it's all done through randomized ticketmaster, payola freebies, and a smattering of fan website presales which I also seem to miss every time.
2nd and Arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 11:51 AM   #33
nyc_eagle
Veteran

nyc_eagle has disabled reputation

I said it on the Philaphans board (am I allowed to mention it by name? or is there some sort of insulting codename I should use?), but for fans of the Arcade Fire and early, less polished Modest Mouse, I recommend Wolf Parade's "Apologies to the Queen Mary." It was produced by Isaac Brock (lead singer of the aforementioned Modest Mouse). They've also toured with AF and MM. Good, good stuff. Couple of songs here (shine a light is a personal fav):

http://www.insound.com/mp3/mp3s.php?sta ... ype=Artist

About the new Pearl Jam album, I'd have to say while it was better than I expected, it's still not up to their early stuff. It's got this almost fake rawness about it. For me, that band fell apart when they gave Dave Abbruzzese the boot in favor of Jack Irons. I know that they say they became a more cohesive unit with Irons, but Abbruzzese gave the songs a more epic feel. Vitalogy had the last of PJ's standout songs, but even then Vedder was basically trying to make them a punkier, choppier band. He pushed out the groovier Abbruzzese - who is a vastly more talented drummer than Irons, IMO - apparently because he was happy being successful. Shame on him.
nyc_eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 11:55 AM   #34
nyc_eagle
Veteran

Oh, and I know it was Dave Krusen who played drums on Ten, their best album. But those songs became so much better when Abbruzzese played them, IMO.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:36 PM   #35
nyc_eagle
Veteran

Speaking of drummers, any math rock fans? Don Caballero is back. I haven't heard the new album in its entirety, but what I have heard is solid. Couple of tracks available.

http://shop.relapse.com/artist/artist.a ... stID=10165

They're on tour starting next week. If you can at least tolerate heavier music, I can't recommend seeing them enough. Damon Che is an absolutely unreal drummer. Dates are also available through that link.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:39 PM   #36
stevemc 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

Alright darn it - I'm a fan or Arcade Fire, Modest Mouse and Death Cab. So do I go with nyc's recommendation of Wolf Parade (heard a couple of tunes already and like them) or VFK's Built to Spill?

nyc - I take you to be a harsh critic so a recommendation isn't easy to get from you unless they're good. But didn't you bash Radiohead?

VFK - interests are all over the place so is this my targeted type band? I like Modest Mouse some but love Death Cab.

Hmmmmmm - decisions, decisions
Old 06-08-2006, 02:43 PM   #37
nyc_eagle
Veteran

I've never bashed Radiohead. I've just questioned the undying allegiance of some fans. I in no way think they are bad. They've just never clicked for me in the way that they obviously do for other people. That's all.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:45 PM   #38
2nd and Arch
Starter

2nd and Arch has disabled reputation

Go with Wolf Parade first. Shorter songs, easier to get into, and might be the slightest bit harder to find (though I'm sure readily available in any Amazon or Tower).

Built to Spill will be waiting for you later, and has like 100 US shows scheduled this fall if you do get addicted.
2nd and Arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 03:13 PM   #39
stevemc 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

In terms of ease to find - I'm downloading just about everything so it shouldn't be a problem.

I will toot the Jenny Lewis horn. Here album although very sedate, is terrific.

I've also been tempted to buy some Belle & Sebastian. Any advice?
Old 06-08-2006, 03:22 PM   #40
sfphillyfan 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

sfphillyfan will become famous soon enough

I love Radiohead. They might be #3 on my list.

Ryan Adams
Wilco
Radiohead
Backstreet Boys
The views and opinions expressed above are those of sfphillyfan and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of EFO or the administration. And to further confuse you, here's a pic of Kate Beckinsale:
:
sfphillyfan is offline   Reply With Quote