Register blog | Columns | Amazon FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read mobile style

Go Back   Philly.Sportscolumn.com > Everything Else > Entertainment

Old 06-08-2006, 03:24 PM   #41
nyc_eagle
Veteran

nyc_eagle has disabled reputation

what's the last good thing that ryan adams put out? i mean that in all seriousness. I like him but he was cranking out so much stuff that i couldn't keep up. it was very hit or miss and i just didn't have the patience to sift through it.
nyc_eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 03:40 PM   #42
sfphillyfan 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

sfphillyfan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_eagle
what's the last good thing that ryan adams put out? i mean that in all seriousness. I like him but he was cranking out so much stuff that i couldn't keep up. it was very hit or miss and i just didn't have the patience to sift through it.
Yeah, he releases so much shit that you can't keep up.

HEre's a rundown of his solo career:

1) Heartbreaker - his masterpiece. Must have
2) Gold - very good album. only 2-3 unecessary songs
3) Demolition - one of my favorite albums. It's a bunch of unreleased songs so there's no consistency to the overall project but Dear Chicago might be in his top 5 great songs.
3) Rock N Roll - piece of shit
4) Love is Hell - great album/double EP. It's the album he put together and was rejected by the record company cause it wasn't commercial enough. They wanted Rock N Roll instead. See above.
5) Cold Roses - good double album but if you took all 10 of the good songs, it'd be a great SINGLE album. (of his latest work, I like this the most).
6) Jacksonville City Nights - his COUNTRY album. Good stuff if you're into that.
7) Cold Roses - his sad bastard album. Some good tunes out of the 9 but not a must have
The views and opinions expressed above are those of sfphillyfan and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of EFO or the administration. And to further confuse you, here's a pic of Kate Beckinsale:
:
sfphillyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 03:44 PM   #43
nyc_eagle
Veteran

i have heartbreaker and gold.

i love heartbreaker. great, great album.

i'm not too crazy about gold. it's been a while since i've listened to it. maybe i'll give it another go.

it's just a little too polished, a little to pop in places for me. to go from heartbreaker to gold might have turned me off. i think i had trouble appreciating it on its own.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:51 PM   #44
sfphillyfan 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

Get Demolition then... certainly not polished.

And you have his old Whiskeytown stuff?
The views and opinions expressed above are those of sfphillyfan and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of EFO or the administration. And to further confuse you, here's a pic of Kate Beckinsale:
:
Old 06-08-2006, 04:17 PM   #45
2nd and Arch
Starter

2nd and Arch has disabled reputation

My unimpressedness (is that a word) with Whiskeytown back when they were hyped as the next Uncle Tupelo was what made me subsequently ignore all Ryan Adams hype. Seems like a lot of solid votes for Heartbreaker as the one to try?

On the other hand, I have every record Belle and Sebastian ever put out and several bootlegs. Picks? I'd say "If you're feeling sinister" for the earlier sound, and "Dear Catastrophe Waitress" for the newer style. The singles and EPs are almost always their best stuff, though -- if you're downloading anyway, go with "Push Barman to Old Wounds".
2nd and Arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 04:22 PM   #46
stevemc 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

stevemc has disabled reputation

Thanks arch.

Just to give a little more perspective to my music interests - we had started this dialogue on PP and thought I'd post here.

My top albums from last year (ranked in this order):

1) My Morning Jacket's "Z"
2) Death Cab for Cutie - "Plans"
3) Sufjan Stevens "Come on Feel the Illinoise"
4) Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - Self Titled
5) Coldplay "X&Y" (I know some will cringe when seeing this - can't help it).
stevemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 04:33 PM   #47
sfphillyfan 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

It depends on what kind of music you like. Heartbreaker is aptly titled. There are some rocking tunes on there (To Be Young which was used in Old School) but for the most part, they are sad sad tunes that make you wish you were dead. But hey, for some, that's quality.

Hey stevemc - I listened to X&Y to death when it first came out and now there are like 3 songs on the whole album I can listen to and think "yeah, that's quality". (By contrast, the Unforgettable Fire I can listen to over and over and over.)

I also don't quite get the Sufjan Stevens album. It's ok but it made EVERYONE's TOP 10 list and I didn't get why. Lately I've been listening to a lot of Kings of Leon's Aha Shake Heartbreak. It's an odd odd album and the lyrics aren't earthshattering but it's a good album to rock out to.

Death Cab's transatlanticism is a great album as well if you don't have that.
:
Old 06-08-2006, 04:48 PM   #48
nyc_eagle
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfphillyfan
And you have his old Whiskeytown stuff?
Yes.

Where does everyone stand on Uncle Tupelo vs. Wilco?

Personally, I prefer Uncle Tupelo. I just like the dynamic between Farrar and Tweedy so much more than just Tweedy.

I also like Son Volt since it carried on a lot more of the "No Depression" sound than Wilco. But Wilco is by far a better band.
Old 06-08-2006, 04:55 PM   #49
sfphillyfan 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

I thought Son Volt's Trace was a great great album. It's the best night driving music I've ever heard. I thought Wilco was pretty lightweight and the worse of the two UT spinoffs but then Yankee Hotel Foxtrot came out and just blew everyone's mind. That album is flawless.

Like I said, Wilco is one of my favorite bands. I think Jeff Tweedy is a genius. If you don't have it already, pick up the Chelsea Walls soundtrack.
:
Old 06-08-2006, 04:57 PM   #50
stevemc 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

stevemc has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfphillyfan
Hey stevemc - I listened to X&Y to death when it first came out and now there are like 3 songs on the whole album I can listen to and think "yeah, that's quality". (By contrast, the Unforgettable Fire I can listen to over and over and over.)

I also don't quite get the Sufjan Stevens album. It's ok but it made EVERYONE's TOP 10 list and I didn't get why. Lately I've been listening to a lot of Kings of Leon's Aha Shake Heartbreak. It's an odd odd album and the lyrics aren't earthshattering but it's a good album to rock out to.

Death Cab's transatlanticism is a great album as well if you don't have that.
Love transatlanticism

Sufjan's album to me is so groundbreaking and outside the box that it captivates me. I can see it not hitting everyone the same.

X&Y pales in comparison to a Rush of Blood to the Head but it still makes a top 5 for the year for me. Sometimes I have to reevaluate though as I can be somewhere from 6-8 months behind on some albums and so an '05 may indeed bump X&Y if I was asked to give that list out in a couple of months.
stevemc is offline   Reply With Quote