Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I still like Juan!

Juan Castillo: 'I didn't get it done'

On Tuesday, Eagles coach Andy Reid fired defensive coordinator Juan Castillo and replaced him with Todd Bowles. Castillo, who less than 5 months ago, said he would "take a bullet" for Andy Reid holds no grudges, Les Bowen of the Philadelphia Daily News reports.

"I would like to thank Andy and Mr. [Eagles chairman Jeffrey] Lurie for the opportunity that they gave me," Castillo said in a text message to the Daily News. "And thank my players for playing harder than anybody else in the NFL."

Castillo told Comcast SportsNet's Derrick Gunn he didn't see himself as a scapegoat: "The thing that hurts is that I let down coach Reid, I let down the organization, I let down the city . . . I didn't get it done."
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Nice guy, bad defensive coordinator.
    "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

I have a cousin who is a neighbor of Juan's and he's told me that he's a great guy. Personally, he's a hard working, stand up kinda guy. He took the firing with class & no doubt feels bad that he let the Team down.
      That said, Reid put Castillo in a position to fail. It's like putting me( a Salesman) in charge of the Engineering Dept). I wouldn't have a frickin clue!
      Castillo was in way over his head & that blame goes to Reid. This change needed to me made but should have been done sooner. Todd Bowles walks into the meetings & commands immediate respect since he was an NFL player & understands Defense. I expect to see improvement on D beginning with the Atlanta game and onward. If I was Juan I would take some well deserved time off & smell the roses. Maybe he'll get a shot as an OL Coach (where he belongs) next year. He WAS the "fall guy" in this mess & fell on his sword with class. I wish him well but no doubt, he needed to go.
      Just give me ONE before I go!

Comment

Hey j-bird what product do you sell?
        Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
        Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

I don't blame Juan one bit. Maybe he thought he could pull it off, but this is all on Andy.

Reid is pretty much soley responsible for this entire mess.

And Juan has certainly done a much better job of handling being fired than Reid has done at being honest with himself about where the problems are.

Comment

Originally posted by Jukin View Post
            Hey j-bird what product do you sell?
            I'm in the Industrial Lighting Business & get to deal with pain in the ass Architects, lol.
            Just give me ONE before I go!

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglebreath View Post
              I don't blame Juan one bit. Maybe he thought he could pull it off, but this is all on Andy.

Reid is pretty much soley responsible for this entire mess.

And Juan has certainly done a much better job of handling being fired than Reid has done at being honest with himself about where the problems are.
              Good post!
              "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

Originally posted by j-bird View Post
                I'm in the Industrial Lighting Business & get to deal with pain in the ass Architects, lol.
                Do you know Jukin
                Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                Hope is not a strategy
                RIP

Comment

I don't feel sorry one bit for Juan and I supported him right up to his firing. He was jobless if Andy didn't give him the DC job. Andy was changing directions with the line and Juan was not the man for the new system. So, what did Juan have to lose???

He actually showed some good understanding of the position in leading the D as a top 5 unit. He just hasn't learned how to make adjustments in the 4th quarters. He was not as bad as everyone is making him out to be, but he took a risk at a time the team has very high expectations, so learning is not an excuse. He also had the misfortune of learning with an offense that did not build leads and a special teams unit that put his guys in too many bad situations.

He got paid, but just didn't get it done. Thanks and I really wish this class act guy the best in the future.
                  Pedro

Comment

Sounds like Juan Castillo is a good guy. Coaches sometimes do switch from offense to defense, but Reid's idea/willingness to switch Castillo to defensive coordinator was a big mistake. Castillo should have moved to defensive line coach if he was going move from offense to defense.

Comment

Castillo, having no experience on the defensive side of the line since coaching in high school, was very unrealistic in thinking he could handle this demanding role effectively. He may have also campaigned hard for the job. But I don't care about what Castillo thought or did relative to being appointed DC. I also don't care what experienced guys may have declined the job before AR turned to Juan. I actually don't care about any of the background issues that may have contributed to the decision.

All I care about is that, on it's face, it was an asinine move with virtually no chance of success. Everyone in the civilized world seemed to recognize that fact except Andy, a genuinely good guy whose fatal flaw seems to be an arrogant belief that he's just a little more clever than everyone else.

So Castillo becomes the sacrificial lamb in a season that is turning to dog shit for many reasons, most of which have nothing to do with him. I'm glad he's been replaced, but this move alone will do nothing to correct the pervasive problems on offense...and, to a lesser extent, STs.

A good soldier to the end, Juan did 'take the bullet' for AR but leaves with his honor in tact.

Comment

When he looks back at it, Andy will say "how the hell did I let Juan talk me into this."

Juan never should have asked and Andy never should have let him be DC. Both are at fault.

Sometimes hindsight is 20/20 but in this case, EVERYONE saw this coming except Andy and Juan.

Comment

Castillo is a good guy and if Andy was going to give him a job on D it should have been a lower job than DC on the defense.

What I don't understand is if you fire Castillo how in the hell does Washburn still have a job? It is common knowledge that Washburn has full control over the DL yet his group of guys have failed big time. How in the hell did he get a pass?
                          FRESH > cancer

I hate everything the Cowboys stand for. If you think they are America's team, then you support everything that is wrong with America. The excess, the greed, the lack of maturity, the lack of responsibility, the lack of control. - Luzinski's Gut

Comment

I'm not sure the DL has failed miserably. Sacks are waayyyy down but they are getting pressure.
                            Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                            Hope is not a strategy
                            RIP

Comment

Firing Washburn wouldn't be a big enough scapegoat. But you can marginalize him by promoting Bowles and having Bowles demand to retool aka scrap the wide 9. That way you kill 2 birds with one stone.

Comment

Working...
                              X