Now the D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now the D

I'm very happy with this off season. The Eagles took care of business with the O-line, and offensive skill positions. On defense we acquired depth at cornerback and safety.

The only questions I have would be the D-line and LB's. The LB's are young but are the good enough? On the D-line we have good depth but do we have good enough starting players at the ends. Trent Cole is overworked and seems to be a 10 sack a year end. On the left side we don't really seem to have a strong starter. Maybe Abiamiri will start to emerge and maybe Howard will have another strong year but the one issue I had with the D was the inability to get pressure without the blitz.

I know we can't have everything but I think we're just one player away from doing something special this year.

So that said, would you give up next years 1st and 2nd for Peppers?

No.

There are still other ways to go and the "hole" in the DL isn't that big a hole, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Green With Envy View Post
      I'm very happy with this off season. The Eagles took care of business with the O-line, and offensive skill positions. On defense we acquired depth at cornerback and safety.

The only questions I have would be the D-line and LB's. The LB's are young but are the good enough? On the D-line we have good depth but do we have good enough starting players at the ends. Trent Cole is overworked and seems to be a 10 sack a year end. On the left side we don't really seem to have a strong starter. Maybe Abiamiri will start to emerge and maybe Howard will have another strong year but the one issue I had with the D was the inability to get pressure without the blitz.

I know we can't have everything but I think we're just one player away from doing something special this year.

So that said, would you give up next years 1st and 2nd for Peppers?

no way.

Abiamiri is a real good young player who will likely take over the spot opposite Cole this year. He is ready, just needs to stay healthy.

Parker and Howard are both solid veterans behind Abiamiri and Cole and hopefully Smith is ready to step into the rotation if needed.

I'd be happy to add to that group, but not at that price. The need does not justify the expense.
      Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

No way do I do that trade. Abiamiri had a hand inj. and should come back strong this year, and they must really like Bryan Smith who seems to compare to Cole. I think they're going to go with the young guys this year and sprinkle in Howard and Clemons to keep them fresh. I'm really excited to see how they play this year, they can only make an already good line much better. The Eagles draft these guys for the future and the future is now. I have no problem with that as long as it works out. hehe
        Stand for the flag you assholes!

Eagles, Flyers Phillies fan since 1977. GO O'S!!

Comment

Actually Clemons finished strong last year after being MIA most of the year. I think he had 5 sacks in the last 5 games.

Comment

Originally posted by Green With Envy View Post
            Actually Clemons finished strong last year after being MIA most of the year. I think he had 5 sacks in the last 5 games.
            yeah, i forgot about clemons in my earlier post. he really stepped up about midseason on.
            Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

This defense really gelled last year during the final 5 weeks of the regular season. Did a number on Washington in the loss, overwhelmed the talented Cowboys in the finale. Then they stopped the Vikings and stymied the top seeded Giants in their building. Yes they ran into an offensive buzzsaw in the NFCCG, but I expect the defense to be really good this year. This is a 12-4 football team people. And a legit Super Bowl contender.

Comment

And as always, it starts up front. If Bunkley and Patterson play as well as they did down the stretch, the defense will be a top 10 unit or better.

Comment

Next years 1st and 2nd? Are you insane, sir?????
                  http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Was it a coincidence that our D started to jell when Abiamiri and Clemmons started to play well? Cole was overworked until then. Clemmons was an MVP in two of those games (especially Dullass). I believe we were able to go O weapons inthe draft because of the luck in getting Peters and the great season ending play of the entire D line....including Howard (will he work hard this offseason again?) and Clemmons when he got rolling. Staying fresh really helped JJ throw speed balls at the O's.

Linebacker is my only concern. I'm don't hate Jordan, but he IS the weakest link. Remember, Gaithers lost the job, not Jordan played great to take it. Maybe Gaithers worked on his coverage skills and maybe Jordan just had learning pains. Haven't we always had one weak LBer with AR?
                    Pedro

Comment

I would not give up our 1st and 2nd from next year for anyone. We have too many players in this year on 1 year contracts. Unless we get a lot of them extended, we might not know what are 2010 needs are before April of 2010.

The 2009 team has enough talent to compete with anyone. But we have a lot of new players who have to learn to play together quickly, especially on the OL.

Comment

Working...
                      X