very interesting article about AI and trade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• very interesting article about AI and trade

Here's David Aldridge on the situation. (He's the anti-SAS)

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/sports/14925179.htm

David Aldridge | It's a matter of time now: Iverson era about to end
    By David Aldridge
    Inquirer Columnist

NEW YORK - It is time to batten down whatever hatches you possess, or can borrow.

Back up your truck.

Allen Iverson will not be a 76er next season. At the least, he will not finish next season in the home white.

Write it in ink.

Now, I would never tell anyone else to bet the farm on anything, but if you have a spare farm - or a parcel of land that is otherwise undeveloped - put it on the table.

This will get done. Sooner or later, it will get done.

There has been too much smoke in the last two weeks for these tired old eyes not to search for the extinguishers. Too many near-deals for the obvious not to be, well, obvious.

Those who have hoped for, wished for, dreamed for this day, pay heed: Your moment is coming, and soon. AI is on his way out. You will have to find someone else to blame.

The Sixers, clearly, are doing much more than just blithely chatting with their league brethren; they are actively trying to divest themselves of their franchise player. They have made their choice (or their choice was made for them, as there is next to no interest in taking on the $43 million remaining on Chris Webber's contract). And it's just a matter of time before they find an Iverson deal that's to their liking.

It might be with Memphis, or Golden State, or Denver.

But Iverson won't be in Philadelphia much longer.

Iverson might be wearing Atlanta Hawks red this very moment (with free agent forward Al Harrington, in a sign-and-trade deal, and guard Josh Smith coming to Philly) if Atlanta's ownership situation wasn't so messed up, and there was one person definitely in charge down there.

It might still be Boston, with whom Billy King danced and danced earlier this week. I'm certain that the Sixers ultimately passed on the deal, for now, because they couldn't stomach the idea of AI's remaining in their division, haunting them the way Moses Malone haunted them from 1986 to '88 after being traded to Washington.

"That's one of their dilemmas," a league source said yesterday. "That's one of the things holding it up."

The Celtics' interest in Iverson is genuine and strong, perhaps stronger than that of any other team in the league. Even though Boston acquired point guard Sebastian Telfair from Portland last night, the Celtics, it says here, would not be afraid to play Iverson and Telfair together - or Iverson and Delonte West, the St. Joseph's product who quickly has developed into one of the better young point guards in the league.

You could certainly see West playing off the ball, the way he did for Phil Martelli when Jameer Nelson was his backcourt mate.

A foursome of Iverson, Telfair, West and Tony Allen, with Paul Pierce moving to small forward more or less permanently, would be as difficult a quartet of guards to cover as any in the game today.

But back to the parochial issues.

With Iverson out of town, the Sixers would be a different team - one built, for the moment, around Webber's half-court skills. It would mean more shots for Andre Iguodala and more touches for Samuel Dalembert, and it may mean that John Salmons sticks around instead of leaving via free agency. It would mean that Kyle Korver has to play off Webber - which could work, if there's a point guard in town next season who can distribute the ball.

But that's the short term. We know that the Sixers are going to strip down most of the current roster, and that the next couple of seasons are going to be tough ones for Maurice Cheeks and Company, no matter what.

This is about the near-end of an era that brought Philadelphia back from NBA obscurity to the Finals. During the last 10 years, the Sixers have mattered because, from the moment Iverson got to town, he was too compelling, too exciting and, yes, too controversial not to notice.

Iverson and Larry Brown were the Broad Street Odd Couple, with their combustibility threatening to tear the franchise apart at the same time their respective skills took the Sixers almost back to the top of the heap. Brown knew what it took King a few years to learn, that the best way to use Iverson was to find four other guys who didn't care about shooting, who would do all the dirty work while Iverson took all the shots.

Re-creating that kind of team today is extremely difficult, especially in an era when the rules make it harder and harder to guard anyone.

So, the Sixers appear committed to carrying out King's end-of-season promise to dramatically change who they are, and how they play. The first step was the biggest - admitting there was a problem. The rest will come more easily.

The inevitable, post-AI era is near at hand.

Enjoy the view.

Here's my take and see what you think.

I don't see much hope for '06/'07 beyond perhaps an 8th seed and a first round playoff exit. I don't know if that's good or bad because I think I'd prefer another lottery pick instead. So then we go into the off season one year from now with:

1) A similar roster still treading water

2) A dependency on a player who the team has been unable to build around for over a decade

3) Said player probably not having the same value in the summer of '07 as he does now

4) Another year of youngsters (including the new draft picks) exposed to the shenanigans said player is allowed to get away with while maintaining his "captain" status on the team.

At this point - if they could get a good, young, doesn't have to be all-star, player with a high ceiling plus a 1st round pick, you have to pull the trigger.

Let Iguadola, Dalembert, Carney, this kid Jones, plus your AI trade acquisitions and whomever else truly wants to play become a nucleus together that can be built upon.

The team is in such flux right now with the presence of Webber and Iverson. If you get rid of one or both - then that gives all these youngsters 45 shots a night to pass around amongst themselves to see who emerges. You will have a clear direction at this point next year. You'll know what pieces you need and you'll more than likely be emerging with some salary cap flexibility. They should do it now and get it over with. Trade AI and Webber for that matter and "let the kids play". I know it will hurt the Sixers at the gate but they're staving off the inevitable right now for only a couple of years when they'll have to rebuild after AI's game deteriorates and they've wasted these interim years.

Comment

I agree it's time to trade Iverson. It's not like the Sixers could do much worse at the gate. If anything, a young team might help them draw the disgruntled fans. AI will become a draw for whoever he goes to.

Webber is our albatross until the end of his contract. He sucks and no one is going to take the $48M! remaining on his deal.

Comment

Trade Iverson is my vote. And I've always loved AI.

Time to rebuild. It will hurt but it's the right thing to do. Screw Webber - he'll be around during the rebuilding.

Just don't trade him to BOSTON. Ever ever ever ever.
        Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
        Playoff Appearances:
        NFC Title Games:
        Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

I agree that Webber is here and actually - he'd be OK in a half court offense with talent around him. He's a decent passer so as long you don't ask him to run too much - he could be an effective low post player as long as he doesn't require too many shots a night.

Comment

Webber should get 20 minutes a night and we should throw youth out there. I'm starting a Phoenix Suns East campaign.
            Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
            Playoff Appearances:
            NFC Title Games:
            Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

You can't have a Phoenix Suns east with Webber slowing things down.

Comment

Working...
              X