Does this team need a Roster Refresh?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does this team need a Roster Refresh?

I know there is a ton of talk about how old the roster is. I personally don't see it as old, I think the numbers being thrown around are skewed but Peters and McCown.

Questions:

Do we need a roster refresh? If so when should we start?

Do the players on this roster have the want and desire to be champions again?

Do we need a total rebuild vs. a refresh?

I personally think we need to refresh the roster. Its a talented roster but I think its a roster that is complacent. Seems like it takes longer for our players to come back from injury than any others, seems like they just don't have the edge that they once had. Some of it I think is players getting a little older but some of it is the edge they used to play with is gone. They don't seem like the Hungry Dogs they once were.
    The second part of that is when should we start. I would say Howie already has started. The moves yesterday to bring in two young DT's that may or may not have upside while jettisoning two veterans after we have cut several veterans over the past two weeks.
    Now this doesn't mean he won't trade for a player at the deadline. I think he will, the most likely scenario though is he will trade for a guy with more than this year left on his contract. Right now the Eagles have a projected 10 draft picks for next year. I personally think they need to use all of them but I could see Howie trading one of his 5th rounders (he has three) for a WR like Devante Parker or a CB like Artie Burns. Parker is signed through next year, Burns is burred in Pittsburgh and is a FA after this year. If they get him and he performs they keep him if not they let him go and maybe get a comp pick in 2021 for him.
    The other side of this is I could see Howie possibly selling off some pieces especially if they lay another egg this weekend. Possible players they could deal include Malcolm Jenkins, Andrew Sendjo, Zach Ertz (say what???), Aghodrop (doubt he is wanted anywhere) or even Jason Peters to a contender for one last shot at it.

We are in a very interesting place and that is mediocrity. I don't think Howie will sit still on this, I think he will continue to tweek the roster and I do think we are in for a refresh after this season. Oh and not just on the roster, I do think some coaches will be gone to. If I am Cory Undlin I wouldn't buy anything on credit right now, same with the WR coach.
    Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

I agree Taz.

I would NOT be shocked one bit if any of the following are not on the team next year:

On Offense
    Lane Johnson - if they think Big V or maybe Mailita could play RT they might move on from Lane as good as he is.
    Jason Kelce - he is going to retire this time
    Jason Peters - this is it for him too
    Alshon and DeSean - either or both could be shown the door... especially if they are in a position to get a talented receiver in the draft
    Zach Ertz - I could see them draft another talented TE in the draft and jettison Ertz to save cap room

On Defense
    Fletcher Cox - I know, I know... but let's say you could use him on draft day to move up and draft the young kid from Auburn. I'd do it. Cox is 28 and gets $15 million in 2021. I love 91. LOVE HIM. But he is an asset and nothing would surprise me.
    Nigel Bradham - He is now 30 and is going to start losing a staff plus I think you could cut him and save $8 million
    Jenkins - yes he could go. especially if you think Maddox, Douglass, Mills could move to that position. And you think LeBlanc could start at CB

A few other things I think will actually happen.

I think Ronald Darby is going to be back next year again on a 1 year deal.
    I think they might tender Sudfield high enough to keep him
    I think Jordan Howard is going to be back
    I think Tim Jernigan will be back again on a 1 year deal
    and...

I think they will sign Kamu to a longer deal to keep him around and I am OK with that. I think he and Gerry are pretty solid LBs. Gerry should be resigned as a starter/backup type
    You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

I think it needs a refresh and I think there should be some freshening every year. My take
      Lurie will be in Doug's ear if this crap about people being late and running a slack program is true. And he would be right. Don't care who what where but people are people and professional or not they need someone holding them accountable. Expect a tightening and I think it will be Groh on the chopping block along with some med or conditioning type people.
      I fully expect Lane J back. Not sure but I won't be surprised to see Kelce retire and I won't be surprised to see him come back to clear his name if things don't change this year. Peters will be and should've been gone. An OL will be drafted to compete with Seumalo.
      Jackson and JJAW might be the only WRs who return.
      QB, RB, and TE will be fine and yes, Sudfield will return.
      DL will return but they will sign or draft another young guy. They have a solid DL if they didn't lose top two DTs.
      CBs will see a change. Darby is gone I hope as is Jones. They will try to sign Mills and will draft two or one FA and one draft. I think they will have competition.
      One high end LB, don't care if he is inside or outside just high caliber, would really solidify the position. Don't need everyone to be high end. Gerry, Kamu, Edwards, whoever are okay. They just aren't high end.
      Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
      Hope is not a strategy
      RIP

Comment

Originally posted by andrewaters View Post
        I agree Taz.

I would NOT be shocked one bit if any of the following are not on the team next year:

On Offense
        Lane Johnson - if they think Big V or maybe Mailita could play RT they might move on from Lane as good as he is.
        Jason Kelce - he is going to retire this time
        Jason Peters - this is it for him too
        Alshon and DeSean - either or both could be shown the door... especially if they are in a position to get a talented receiver in the draft
        Zach Ertz - I could see them draft another talented TE in the draft and jettison Ertz to save cap room

On Defense
        Fletcher Cox - I know, I know... but let's say you could use him on draft day to move up and draft the young kid from Auburn. I'd do it. Cox is 28 and gets $15 million in 2021. I love 91. LOVE HIM. But he is an asset and nothing would surprise me.
        Nigel Bradham - He is now 30 and is going to start losing a staff plus I think you could cut him and save $8 million
        Jenkins - yes he could go. especially if you think Maddox, Douglass, Mills could move to that position. And you think LeBlanc could start at CB

A few other things I think will actually happen.

I think Ronald Darby is going to be back next year again on a 1 year deal.
        I think they might tender Sudfield high enough to keep him
        I think Jordan Howard is going to be back
        I think Tim Jernigan will be back again on a 1 year deal
        and...

I think they will sign Kamu to a longer deal to keep him around and I am OK with that. I think he and Gerry are pretty solid LBs. Gerry should be resigned as a starter/backup type
        I would have to imagine trading Lane would garner a couple of high picks like a 1st and a 3rd? With Dillard at left tackle, they could draft a right tackle and plug him in. Instantly get much younger.
        Ertz could also garner at least a 1st round pick. They could pick up another Tight end via free agency that can block.

Sudfeld probably leaves, he is being paid 3 million this year if they were going to resign him long term they would have done that already and had lower cap numbers for the first couple of years. Don't be surprised if Lualetta is the backup next year.

Comment

Say the same thing here as I did in another thread.....

"I also am not in panic mode--- and I would refuse to make seasonal decsions based on a coup[le of bhad games under these injury circumstances. Wait till the end of the year ---- then evaluate the whole thing."

I also agree that taking a nut sack kick like last sunday is not fun--- let's see what happens down the road.

Ok, so this part of the "ride" isn't fun right now.... but it is still all we get!

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
            Say the same thing here as I did in another thread.....

"I also am not in panic mode--- and I would refuse to make seasonal decsions based on a coup[le of bhad games under these injury circumstances. Wait till the end of the year ---- then evaluate the whole thing."

I also agree that taking a nut sack kick like last sunday is not fun--- let's see what happens down the road.

Ok, so this part of the "ride" isn't fun right now.... but it is still all we get!
            I am perfectly fine with riding this out. In fact what I am saying is we should ride this out, not use draft picks to trade for stop gap this year players etc. Now if they deal a draft pick for a player that can be here this year and next, I am ok with that, but say giving up a 3rd and a 4th for Emmanual Sanders made no sense to me. The prices are too high right now and the Eagles are not a team that is one or two players away at this point.

Comment

Taz and MD I agree that the time to panic is NOT NOW.

We have a 26 year old QB that is under contract for 5 more seasons with a number that is NOT scary at all. You have a LT that already looks like he is going to grow into the spot.

The OL has bodies too. Semaulo is fine IMO. He has played better since some early season struggles and with either Lane or Mailita you have a guy that can play RT for 3-4 more years. You do need an interior lineman but the nice thing is a lot of times the best center in the draft doesn't even get taken until the second round to get ready behind Kelce and be a backup guard for a few years. Heck, if a Quenton Nelson is available take him in the first round.

The DL and LBs are the areas of biggest need. We have a lot of bodies in the secondary and they will all improve if we get a better pass rush and don't have to have as much safety involvement defensively in the run game.
              You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

In the next draft/FA season: LBs, Secondary, Center and a deep threat WR. That isn't too tall of an order at all considering 1 or 2 upgrades pushes marginal players out.

Comment

I want to see what this team can do healthy, before I make any judgements.

However, I do start to wonder why our THIS group of players has been hit so hard by injuries the last 3 seasons ?

Comment

Originally posted by Pliny View Post
                    I want to see what this team can do healthy, before I make any judgements.

However, I do start to wonder why our THIS group of players has been hit so hard by injuries the last 3 seasons ?
                    I agree. The problem is that they can't seem to get healthy. As soon as someone comes back, someone goes out. It's maddening.

Which begs your question. Is it just bad luck? Injuries happen to everyone, but at some point you have to consider that maybe they are having more than their fair share, and start taking a look at the program itself, and see if some things can be done to help keep the guys on the field. Without doing the research, I'd say, off the top of my head they've had at least 8 starters miss significant time. That's a third of the starters.

Comment

Health is a problem and I know a lot will say is because they are "an old team". I think Health is a problem but it seems to be effecting the young (Maddox, Jones, Goedert, Ridgeway in game 2) as much as the old.

At some point bad luck just comes into this. I mean how do you lose 3 DT's within a span of 6 weeks. Or how do you lose 3 CB's that quickly. How do 2 wide outs and your 2nd Tight End miss the same game without being on he injury report during the week?

A conspiracy theory to me is these guys don't work hard enough to come back from injuries. I am not doubting DeSean or others but I think that Howie or Doug or both played that situation wrong. It sounds like his will be week 7 without Jackson, Might as well have put him on the IR for 8 games and brought in another receiver. I am sure by this point that receiver would have had more than the zero catches combined that Hollins and JJaw have had the last three games.

This is not to mention they are playing with only two tight ends because both Ellis and Rodgers get hurt early on and they put them on IR for needs in other areas and then had to release both with injury settlements. They can't resign them this year. Having to put Clement on IR because brittle Sproles gets hurt and they need to bring up Boston Scott.

If you are looking at next year this team will have a ton of work to do. Honestly aside from Fletcher Cox and Derrick Barnett who stays on the defensive line? Miller probably stays as long as he gets stronger, Probably Sweat, they have to keep Graham but he is cooked. They need at least two DT (remember Ridgeway and Jernigan are FA as well as Curry). Two Defensive ends one that can start, 2 linebackers (that are starters), 2 safeties (one that can start) 2 defensive backs (both starters). Two WR's (A slot starter and a speed guy). Another RB to rotate with Sanders. They need more depth along the offensive line especially at Center and Guard.

So with 10 draft picks and FA dollars sure they can fill those holes. But can they fill them with enough play makers to make us a winner next year? That is the question. On Defense they need play makers at every level, on offense they need play making WR (Speed). Its a tall order to do all in one offseason
                      Last edited by taz; 10-23-2019, 11:33 AM.

Comment

We need to find out how well our young guys can play. The season isn't over yet for payoff spots so it's a little early for that. The fact is that we all talk about draft picks but Doug never trusts any of them to play unless a starter gets hurt. Get Hall on the field, JJAW, Edwards and Singleton, Pryor, Herbig and finally BOSTON SCOTT. Drafting guys and benching them for a couple of years doesn't do you much good.
                        "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

I think they need a refresher but not a complete overhaul oneth roster. But they do need a complete overhaul on the coaching staff. I would move on from Peters and Kelce on the O line unless Peters moves inside while a guy learns the interior line positions. WRs is definitely going to a overhaul. Alshon and Aggie are both probably gone. Draft speed! Keep Howard and Sanders and let Sproles retire. TEs I wouldn't mess with but bring in a third blocking type guy or heaven forbid FB/H-Back type of guy as a lead blocker.
                          On defense it gets tricky. DL is confusing. Barnett plays hard but doesn't have the sack numbers. Graham's best days are behind him. Same with Curry. I would bring back Jackson and Jernigan along with Cox and draft a stud guy to rotate. Do you best to sign Sean Lee and draft a speed LB that can learn from him. The secondary is a mess. I may keep one of the safeties but not both. Move Douglas to the vacant spot and coach him up. Draft a speed guy. Keep Mills and let Darby walk. Fill in with Maddox and LeBlanc

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
                            If you are looking at next year this team will have a ton of work to do. Honestly aside from Fletcher Cox and Derrick Barnett who stays on the defensive line? Miller probably stays as long as he gets stronger, Probably Sweat, they have to keep Graham but he is cooked. They need at least two DT (remember Ridgeway and Jernigan are FA as well as Curry). Two Defensive ends one that can start, 2 linebackers (that are starters), 2 safeties (one that can start) 2 defensive backs (both starters). Two WR's (A slot starter and a speed guy). Another RB to rotate with Sanders. They need more depth along the offensive line especially at Center and Guard.

Whoa sounds like we need more explosives Kimosabee. Okay reality is they aren't getting that list. On DL the issue is the DTs we lost. Graham isn't cooked. Older but he can still play. So evaluate the injuries to Jackson & Jernigan to see who is back. If they need to go then yes we need two DTs. Draft a replacement for Graham who can rotate with him next year. A DLinemen is usually on the draft list anyway. Get one quality LB and the LB corps is fine. Remember the LB role in this D--whether we like it or not. The need is at CB where Darby/Jones are fried. Need two CBs. Safety-- maybe if you can find one but it isn't the first priority.
                            TEs/RBs (no Sproles)/QB are fine. Pete needs to go so you need to draft an OLinemen, but the reality is you should be trying to draft an OL every year. Problem is at WR where you need at least two. IMM the only WR I would bring back at JJAW and maybe Desean.
                            Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                            Hope is not a strategy
                            RIP

Comment

What about playing Edwards and Singleton and find out if they are any good. Give Pryor a start instead of that stiff Seumalo. How about seeing if Scott can use that speed of his and give JJAWs more looks. We all talk about getting more picks and I ask why? Doug never plays any of them.
                              "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Working...
                              X