Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AHH, this weeks version of those terrible Philly fans....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AHH, this weeks version of those terrible Philly fans....

Ummm, well did you wear an Aikman Jersey to a redskins/cowboys game? or a Ray Lewis jersey to a Ravens/Steelers game in Pittsburgh?
    Or a Larry Johnson Jersey to a Raiders/KC game in Oakland?

Another worthless, the "philly fans are the worst" crap piece!

//////////////////////////////////////////////////

Fanning the flames with a jersey
    By Joseph A. Gambardello
    Inquirer Staff Writer Reporter wears Cowboys jersey

It started getting ugly at halftime.

To test the theory that Eagles fans are the most hostile in the NFL, I went to the Linc yesterday wearing a Dallas Cowboys jersey - and paid the price for it.

It was not Terrell Owens' No. 81. No need to throw gasoline on the fire of a legendary rivalry. I chose No. 8, the jersey of former quarterback Troy Aikman, now a Fox Sports commentator.

Suffice it to say, all the years that have passed since Aikman last played did not provide immunity.

It wasn't too bad at the start, when crowds migrated from the tailgate parties to the stadium, some fans already quite pumped on beer.

There were a few good-natured taunts ("Are you nuts?"), the expected boos and curses (the A word was most prevalent), even words of genuine concern along the lines of "Be careful. Some of these people are crazy."

At one point a woman dressed in black and wearing sunglasses walked up to Abdul Salaam and Abdul Mumit-al, two Germantown residents wearing Owens jerseys just a few feet away.

"I'm undercover police," the woman whispered to them. "If you need me, I'm here."

When last seen during the second period, the two men said they'd had no need for the police officer, but they did report seeing a Dallas fan get doused with beer.

During the first period, George Poracky, a Dallas fan from Old Bridge, N.J., said, "There's been a lot of throat slashing [gestures] but nothing physical.

"Wait until we're winning," he warned.

And at halftime, with Dallas ahead 21-17, things indeed started to change.

Those inclined to hassle a Dallas fan - and there were a few - started using variations of the F word in a more menacing tone.

Then a couple of fellows in Eagles jerseys slammed into me a bit harder than could be expected in an accidental bumping.

Instead of apologies, they used curses, and walked away laughing.

I took off the jersey.

Doug Rodriguez and his wife, Isabel, flew up from Miami to see the game.

They will never do it again.

"It was like the gladiator days and the mob ruled," Doug Rodriguez said after the Eagles rallied in the second half to win.

"It's scary. The fans are bullying and insulting. In your face. I've never seen anything like it."

He said the lack of police presence in the stands should be an "embarrassment" to the city.

"The fans are yelling in your ear and there is no one you can turn to and say, 'Hey this is enough.' "

Amar Dhillon, who flew up from Fort Worth, also had a low opinion of Eagles fans by the end of the game.

"They are a poor representation of a great town," he said. "They have the biggest inferiority complex."

Local sports psychologists David Greenwald and Joel Fish say it is not fair to call Eagles fans the worst.

That distinction, Greenwald said from personal experience, belongs to the supporters of the Oakland Raiders, who once mooned the Eagles' bus - after their team won.

"I don't think Eagles fans would do that if they won," he said.

Fish, director of the Center for Sports Psychology in Philadelphia, said Eagles fans are no better and no worse than football or soccer fans around the world.

Each team, he said, has good fans and bad fans and while the latter are small in number, their actions attract the most attention.

Still, Eagles supporters are perhaps more passionate than most, Fish said, a legacy of team loyalty passed from generation to generation by a fan base with deep roots in the Philadelphia area.

That passion can be loud and even rude in its expression, but add alcohol to the mix and the chance for trouble increases, Fish said.

"Fans are less civil than they used to be everywhere."

For the record, Eagles spokeswoman Bonnie Grant said there were no major incidents last night and just a "few arrests," in line with other games.

But all it takes is one hostile encounter to reinforce a reputation that is deserved or not.

The New York Times last week reported on a run-in some Giants fans had two weeks earlier with Eagles fans at the Linc after New York rallied to beat Philadelphia in overtime.

According to the Times, one 21-year-old fan from Long Island was punched in the nose after his tour group endured a game's worth of taunts, curses and even spitting.

Michael Martocci, who organized the tour of 72 Giants fans, did not respond to messages seeking comment. But he told the Times: "Every year, the abuse we take from those animals in Philadelphia gets worse and worse. I'm seriously considering having two armed guards sit with us next year."

The sad thing is, that to some fans being called an animal is a compliment and only reinforces their belief that showing team loyalty means more than cheering, wearing a jersey, or painting their faces the team color.

"It's a matter of pride to them," psychologist Greenwald said.

-----

tsk tsk tsk MD... now i KNOW you don't read the blog.

http://blog.sportscolumn.com/story/2006 ... 12757/023/

Comment

The entire article is fantasy.

The MOONING of the bus is standard Packers fans fare.

The VERY few cowboys fans I saw at the game were taking it well. I said to one guy after the game that he had some cajones wearing a dallas sweatshirt to the game. Before he could he respond, his green-cladd buddy interjects and tells me not to go easy on him.

As far as people bumping into each other. As others on the board will state, getting out of the place after the game was absolutely insane. If you weren't bumped and jostled, then you must've exited through the suite level.

But all it takes is one hostile encounter to reinforce a reputation that is deserved or not. ONE encounter out of more than 69,000 fans. Yeah, one encounter.

Again, as far as the vagiants fans. They have absolutely nothing to say.

Regarding soccer around the world... The Eagles fans are pussycats. We are the minor leagues compared to the hooliganism found in almost every stadium in Europe. Last time I checked, our fans weren't separated by a large fence from the rival teams fans, and throwing golf balls spiked with nails... OR meeting the home team at the airport to attack them.

Please, a few chants of A**** and somebody bumping into you? Give me a break.

BTW... What jerseys were the 4 arrested wearing?

Comment

Let us never be compared to soccer fans. They take it WAY too far. How about the story of the Croatian fans forming a human swastika at a game in Italy? That's just sick.

Comment

Stories about fans getting punched, spat on, etc. are really harsh regardless of your home stadium, and those fans should be kicked out or arrested, but the hooligans abroad are worse. I mean, we're talking riots, a player for a South American soccer team was killed after his team lost the World Cup (shot after he got off the plane I think), etc.
          "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
          — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
          - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

Comment

Well I remember the guy who scored an own goal in the US vs Columbia game was shot in an alley by some columbia drug people....

Anyway, I think if you go into an opposing stadium, you deserve all the VERBAL abuse you get. But it's just a game and there's no need to get physical.

Comment

"Anyway, I think if you go into an opposing stadium, you deserve all the VERBAL abuse you get. But it's just a game and there's no need to get physical. "

And my guess is that it wouldn't get physical at all(relatively speaking)--- if alcohol wasn't part of the equation.

But I also firmly believe that we as a people have gotten far more aggressive and angry and less polite as each decade passes.

Comment

I agree on the verbal abuse. I also agree that people that get physical with someone need to be prosecuted for it.

So, when is this guy going to wear a Chiefs jersey in the black hole? Or a Skins jersey in Big D? Or better yet, how about a Ravens jersey in the cheap seats in Cleveland? Fan behavior is bad in a lot of places. It's just that in Philly it's put under a microscope, and everywhere else it's pretty much ignored.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN
                  "Anyway, I think if you go into an opposing stadium, you deserve all the VERBAL abuse you get. But it's just a game and there's no need to get physical. "

And my guess is that it wouldn't get physical at all(relatively speaking)--- if alcohol wasn't part of the equation.

But I also firmly believe that we as a people have gotten far more aggressive and angry and less polite as each decade passes.
                  So true, MD. So true.
                  www.disciplerocks.com

Comment

If you go looking for trouble you WILL find it.Don't go into a bar in North Philly at 1am on a Saturday night or guess what? You WILL find trouble.
                    If you're a Dallas fan and go to the Linc DON'T wear a cowturds jersey.That's just looking for trouble.
                    The moral of the story is,if you go into a visiting stadium and wear the "wrong" jersey,expect trouble and bring a crowd of guys with you(preferrably Big,Mean guys that know how to fight).
                    Just give me ONE before I go!

Comment

That's right!!! Stay the fuck out of our stadium. Those seats are reserved for real football fans........IGGLES FANS!!!!!!!

If you want to take your wife or kids to an opposing football stadium, you can go to Atlanta, Miami, Arizona, etc., but don't blame anyone but yourself if you feel uncomfortable wearing an opposing jersey in the undisputed roughest fan based stadium in football.

Common sense rules over what we wish life was like.
                      Pedro

Comment

I really don't care to be honest. If you suspect trouble why wear a Dallas jersey? I go to ATL to see the Phils, but if I thought is would threaten my family I wouldn't do it. Use a little common sense.
                        Redskins Suck Ass

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN

Damn young people causing on that rukus

It's not my generation that threw snowballs at Santa *ducks*
                          Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

Now -- they throw batteries.... *ducks*...............

Comment

I don't get the story, actually.

First of all, when did we start calling them "periods"? I thought they were "quarters".

Secondly, I admit I skimmed through it, but I gather the guy got yelled at and bumped on purpose/by accident. That's it? Wow...if that's the worst thing that happened, why is that a story?

Comment

Working...
                              X