Observations from Preseason game 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Observations from Preseason game 1

Welcome to another year of Eagles football. I tried to concentrate on certain areas last night, not so much the score etc.

1. Offensive line - Now I know its preseason and I don't think the Eagles were prepared for the amount of blitzing that the Packers did but they were getting blown up in the middle, Kelce and Warmack were consistently getting beat. The good news is Warmack shouldn't be the starter, the bad news is Kelce is.

2. Wentz - Sweet play to slide step Clay Mathews and fire a strike to Mack Hollins. He was under constant duress the one series he had but yet they made plays. This kid is not going to be a star, I think he may just be there now. Not many QB's can make the play he made there.

3. Derek Barnett - Dude was great, it wasn't just the sacks for the most part (he did get pancaked once) he was around the ball and provided pressure.

4. Sloppy Play - Have to clean up the fumbles. The INT that McGloin through stinks but I don't think McGloin makes the team. The one fumble that concerned me the most was Trey Burton.

5. Defensive backs - Mills certainly looks better than last year even though he did get away with a PI on one play. Robinson was better than I thought. After getting beat twice in a row I thought CJ Smith recovered nicely. Douglas had a nice pass breakup. Still a concern but maybe they can get by.

6. Pumphrey - Wonder if they get him through to the practice squad. Too many shaky plays from him, I think he is going to need time. Now that said Sproles and Smallwood didn't play so I would only expect Pumphrey to get a couple of plays a game if he is even active

7. Speaking of the run game - The offensive line 1st team, 2nd team , 3rd none of them could open up any holes. That must be addressed.

8. Nate Gerry - Got juked out of his jock on one play but other than that for his first game as a linebacker I thought he played well.

9. Mack Hollins, Bryce Treggs, Jordan Mathews - all three had excellent games. Treggs looked much more decisive, Hollins not only had the TD but a couple of other nice catch and runs. Mathews is showing he is still the 2nd best WR on this team and that Carson trusts him.

10. Nelson Agholor - new season same stone hands. That conversion would have been a tougher catch but I would say 90% of the receivers come down with that ball. Plus I did not see him getting open. Stories of his accent are Fake news.

Overall it was great to see the team on the field. There were some really nice positives and of course some negatives. If Game 1 of the season plays like yesterday I will be concerned. I can't be concerned after day 1 of the preseason
    Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Wentz looking good is the best news. I only saw the TD pass and he can move in the pocket and create. Line is concerning, we did see last year they were night and day week to week. Hope they develop consistency. Great to hear that about Barnett. Looks like Pumphrey is going to need time. Size concerns me with him. Hoping the Birds didn't blow that pick. Everything I hear about Hollins is positive. I can see Jeffrey, Hollins, and Matthews being the first 3 at some point of the season. Smith, I'm just not a fan of his. Better than the stiffs last year but not where we need to be. Thank you for the recap. Much appreciated.

Comment

One more thing. Fuck Agholor. Hope they do cut him after they release Mathews. Can anyone say they are comfortable seeing the ball going to him?

Comment

Originally posted by Rossovich View Post
        One more thing. Fuck Agholor. Hope they do cut him after they release Mathews. Can anyone say they are comfortable seeing the ball going to him?

I can't believe people bought into him. Screw the cap and get rid of him.
        "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

I was so happy to see Hollins show something last night, especially with Agholor doing nothing and Matthews now traded. I think Marcus Johnson has shown enough to make the team already (held out last night of course). I am hoping that he contributes in the preseason games to come to solidify that position.

No comment on Treggs......still not a fan.

Oh. And please dump McCloin as soon as Nick returns from his injury.

Comment

99.9% of that shit doesn't matter.

Kelce sucking is a 3 year old story....
            Taking It One Game At A Time

Comment

Please go with 2 QBS and keep Ward on the 53 man roster as insurance and slot receiver. My God, McGloin is TERRIBLE! How can you throw 40 times against a vanilla defense and be that bad?

Comment

I know that the games are fake but after watching the first half I'm just going to say that Doug's offense looks pretty friekin bad if you ask me. I don't think the line played bad. You can't play 5 on 8 and expect to run the ball with your running back 8 yards deep in the backfield. Ever hear of wedge blocking??? I thought the pass blocking was pretty good too since they were being so outnumbered up front. This offense can't go anywhere if they are going to use formations like they did and just let defenses tee off on them. I can't really blame McGloin for his play either as he was running for his life all night. In fact I am the only person on earth that thought that he looked decent.

I zeroed in on Kelce and I thought that he had a very strong game. I rewound plays that I missed just to make sure. He was fine. They had trouble up the middle but I always saw him blocking somebody and he even did a good job when GB put a man on him which was good to see. I'm not sure the guards always picked up the right people but they were put in am impossible situation. Wiz on the other hand didn't look so hot when he took his place in the 2nd quarter.

Hollins has size, speed and hands. I guess that says it all. Oh wait a minute, he flattened a db with a beautiful stiff arm on the 10 yard line on his TD. BEAST LOL!

Treggs looked real good other than the play where he caught a bomb and then decided to run out of bounds when he could/should have scored. WTF???

The pass to Agholor was a little hot (and I mean little) that just had me thinking that a big guy like Hollins would have snagged it. It's hard to believe Doug sat him like he was a starter when the whole number 1 offense sat after the first quarter.

Trey Burton looks like he gained about 20 pounds. He might not pass the piss test.

The Denham kid looks like a stud.

Comment

E60 remember that 10 out of 10 game Bradford had in the preseason. They looked great. How did that translate into the season? If I'm the coach, I'm not showing shit in these fake games. The next one the line might look fantastic. You can't tell from week to week this time of year.

Comment

Originally posted by Rossovich View Post
                    E60 remember that 10 out of 10 game Bradford had in the preseason. They looked great. How did that translate into the season? If I'm the coach, I'm not showing shit in these fake games. The next one the line might look fantastic. You can't tell from week to week this time of year.
                    I know Ross, of course you are right. It's just that I hate seeing backs line up that deep in the backfield. I've always thought that was stupid. You see them get hit in the backfield and it's maddening, especially on the goal line when the rb never sees the LOS.

Comment

McGloyn wasn't terrible, I think he is a decent 3rd stringer. The only real takeaway from that scrimmage was Hollins has a helluva stiff arm.
                      We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

GBY definitely blitzed all game and Doug certainly seemed unwilling to adapt. Presumably based on it being PS and on the road

Boring as hell game to watch though

All of this year's PS games may be ugly now that cuts aren't until after all games

Comment

Originally posted by dawkins20 View Post
                          GBY definitely blitzed all game and Doug certainly seemed unwilling to adapt. Presumably based on it being PS and on the road

All of this year's PS games may be ugly now that cuts aren't until after all games
                          Well if Doug wants to get his QBs and RBs killed I guess it's OK then. They got killed up the middle last year too. I don't get it.

Comment

I just watched the first half over again

I don't want to get too excited but Hollins decked 2 guys on that TD play. At first I thought that he broke the tackle but on further review he took him out! Maybe we have a stud in the making. Our RG also false started on the play but it wasn't called (save that on for the season).

The ball to Agholor wasn't hot at all. He just gagged as usual.

It's bad enough that these guys line up 8 yards in the backfield but I saw Clemets line up 9 yards deep on one play.

Blount is a frisking load.
                            Last edited by Eagle60; 08-12-2017, 05:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dawkins20 View Post

Dawk, So they cannot cut a guy until after each week of preseason games are done or until the ENTIRE preseason is done?

Comment

Working...
                              X