No announcement yet.

Observations from Preseason game 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

any team can cut anyone. The main difference is a team will have 90 man rosters and cuts down to 53 won't happen til after all PS games are finished.

that week between the end of PS and beginning of the season is going to be nuts

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...cutdown-period

Comment

Originally posted by dawkins20 View Post
      any team can cut anyone. The main difference is a team will have 90 man rosters and cuts down to 53 won't happen til after all PS games are finished.

that week between the end of PS and beginning of the season is going to be nuts

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...cutdown-period
      Good point Dawk! I never thought of that and always wondered why they didn't do it that way to begin with.
      "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

In the past they use to cut down to 75 and then 60. So now they changed it to one week of cut downs from 90 to 53? OMG! the GMs are going to earn their money that week.

Comment

Originally posted by RobLew65 View Post
          In the past they use to cut down to 75 and then 60. So now they changed it to one week of cut downs from 90 to 53? OMG! the GMs are going to earn their money that week.
          At some point I suppose all those players start to stunt your growth and take away reps from guys that are actually going to play for you. I would think that teams will be cutting along the way anyway. Then again there is that last game when you need all of those shock troops. It will be interesting how teams handle it. I don't see how anybody will be making the team based on that last preseason game this year! You're going to have 37 guys playing that game that who are going to be cut LOL. Wait until the season ticket holders start bitching about that one. There might be 50 people in the stands. On top of that the vendors will be pissed off who bid for the rights every season. This might only be a one year deal.

Comment

That just seems like a disaster waiting to happen. You know no starter or key reserve will be playing in that 4th game so why pay to watch it unless you family member is playing. And if he is you better have his resume with you when he's gets out the shower

Comment

Originally posted by RobLew65 View Post
              Eh... I would imagine most of the decisions are already made. Teams may still be deciding on 2-3 spots, and I guess the practice squad.

There is usually a bunch of end-of-roster churn the week after the cuts down to 53, but that week is probably no different than it has been.

In the past, if a team was desperate at a position, they could grab someone from the 90-to-75 cutdown and get a week of practice with them. But I imagine that was pretty rare, and teams would rather to have the full number of 90 so that last preseason game can be entirely scrubs.

Comment

I bet more trades will happen because of this. Since there is an "unknown" of who will or won't be out there, I can see GMs talking and doing deals (perhaps player for player) in the weeks leading up to cutdown day. Another thought is I bet a # of vets will be signed after week 1 moreso than other seasons because then their contracts aren't guaranteed.

Comment

Originally posted by stevemc View Post
                  I bet more trades will happen because of this. Since there is an "unknown" of who will or won't be out there, I can see GMs talking and doing deals (perhaps player for player) in the weeks leading up to cutdown day. Another thought is I bet a # of vets will be signed after week 1 moreso than other seasons because then their contracts aren't guaranteed.
                  I don't see why cutting vets would change things Steve. You are still risking them letting them go for the first week either way.

Comment

IMM, there is only one reason for this change--- Placation!

That's right the players (Union, coaches also) don't want 4 fake phony pre season exhibitions.......... but owners lose money if they cut the # of games--- so this placates some of that by having more bodies to satisfy the players and union--- more bodies = less playing time for regulars thus they have in fact probably cut the fake games in reality down to 3 games without losing any money!

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Comment

Oh, they want to cut the fake games down to 3 allright. But, they want to add another regular season game. Goddell knows it's a hard sell with the supposed emphasis on player safety, etc. There's no way they can keep 4 preseason games, and add another regular season game. So, they'll make the 4th game completely meaningless in order to make a better case for getting rid of it all together, and adding another regular season game in it's place.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
                        IMM, there is only one reason for this change--- Placation!

That's right the players (Union, coaches also) don't want 4 fake phony pre season exhibitions.......... but owners lose money if they cut the # of games--- so this placates some of that by having more bodies to satisfy the players and union--- more bodies = less playing time for regulars thus they have in fact probably cut the fake games in reality down to 3 games without losing any money!

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
                        That's my point MD. As a fan there is no way I am paying my hard earn dollar to watch guys who may be pumping my gas or taking my order in 3 days. That just stinks!

Comment

I think the whole thing backfires and they go back to the old formula. This really wasn't thought out well at all and the players aren't going to agree to more games. If the fans bitch who cares? The people who actually go to the games have been getting screwed forever. The only people that the NFL will listen to are the sponsors.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                            I think the whole thing backfires and they go back to the old formula. This really wasn't thought out well at all and the players aren't going to agree to more games. If the fans bitch who cares? The people who actually go to the games have been getting screwed forever. The only people that the NFL will listen to are the sponsors.
                            Look the "FANS" are not and rarely are any part of the equation-- it is just the facts!

Once we accept that we have to look at the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$---EB may be right in that this is the first installment of getting that extra regular season game --- I dunno--- but it's all about $$$$$$ for BOTH sides!

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
                              Look the "FANS" are not and rarely are any part of the equation-- it is just the facts!

Once we accept that we have to look at the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$---EB may be right in that this is the first installment of getting that extra regular season game --- I dunno--- but it's all about $$$$$$ for BOTH sides!
                              Its the NFL! It will be two more games not just one. Training camp will begin around July 10th.

Comment

Working...
                              X