Not sure I like this trade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not sure I like this trade

Mathews was our best WR. Jeffrey should be, but he is always hurt. He better stay healthy.

Is Darby really worth Mathews AND a 3rd?

I need to digest this more. Right now I don't love it

So ahgolor is still here...

Comment

It is a head scratcher that I need to think about. I like the upgrade at DB. IF Jones comes back with Mills, Jones, and Darby we have potential. We have the potential to have just gotten young and much improved at DB

Mathews was here this year and we were probably not resigning him so we got something in return. Please tell me Aggy is not the replacement. Are they seeing enough of Hollins, Johnson, others to think we have a similar answer? Were drops too much? If we do nothing with Jefferies, we could have a real need at WR and what message does that send to Wentz?

I just don't know yet.

Comment

I am leaning towards liking this trade, as long as injuries to the WR group don't kills us. Matthews was a rental on a team with a potentially stacked WR group. He is a solid WR, but has reached his potential IMO. We were not going to resign him here. I think we all agree with that.

Hollins has looked better than expected and still has a big upside. I am hoping that he takes over the #3 spot when Agholor flops again. Johnson is another guy that like he could actually produce. And, this opens up the #6 spot to Gibson (if he can catch the ball) or even Ward. Please no Bryce Treggs. And, Paul Turner had his chance.

Darby has a few more years left on his rookie contract. It looks like he took a few steps back last year and had a little trouble holding on to his starting job in Buffalo. But, I think it is worth a risk considering our current CB situation.

I don't like giving up the 3rd rounder though

Very curious trade day for Buffalo. They replace Sammy Watkins with Jordan Matthews. They replace CB Darby with CB EJ Gaines. On paper, Buffalo came up short in both the player swaps. But, they do pick up 2nd and 3rd round picks. Can you say rebuild in Buffalo ?

I give the Eagles the benefit of the doubt on this one. I really don't think Matthews would have seen a lot of action this year.

Comment

Darby is a real good corner. I like him. Trading Mathews is tough but they were not going to resign him and they have a ton of options in the slot including Sproles, Hollins, Agholor, slidding over a tight end like Burton or Ertz who are basically slot receivers.

This team is better now then they were this morning. Darby will help a ton on defense and I think between the guys above they can piece together and replace Mathews production. Let's face it if Jeffrey gets hurt even with Mathews this team would be in trouble
          Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Corner was a very thin group whereas WR has a lot more depth especially if Mack can consistently do what he did last night

Comment

This is hard to swallow simply because we know that Matthews is a solid but not spectacular receiver. I have no faith in Aggy and after watching his lack of improvement last night I am really nervous about how we will fair in the slot now. I really though lthe reduction in pressure and expectations this year would allow Matthews to shine. So my expectations for the slot went from hopeful to doubtful in an instant. It really doesn't help that our receivers have sucked for so long!
              Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
              Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Love that the Roseman talks about surrounding a young QB with talent and then trades away his best friend and most reliable receiver while the fan base falls for everything the Roseman and the Lurie speak.

Bah sheep bah
                Taking It One Game At A Time

Comment

Oh good, the troll is back!
                  Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                  Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Its the 3rd round pick that bothers me. Now no 2nd or 3rd round pick UNLESS Rowe plays 50% of the snaps in NE. Couldn't they have used one of those 4th rounders?

Matthews? Eh? Too many drops at the most crucial of times. He got a pass for making 2 more plays than Aggie. But Atlanta, New York, Chicago..... big plays he missed on pretty easy throws. Give me Hollins and especially Ward in the slot.

Comment

Not having a 2nd or 3rd next year hurts.

I can only assume they plan to be aggressive in FA next year to compensate

I'm going to miss Mathews

Comment

I don't like any trade that puts Agholor on our roster.
                        "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Ahh, once again I see the trust in the Eagles management is once again is very very weak.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
                            Ahh, once again I see the trust in the Eagles management is once again is very very weak.
                            I was just kidding with the Agholor crack. I don't know anything about Darby but if he is a starting caliber cb then I think that it's a great trade!
                            "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Oof. I really didn't want to deprive Wentz of a security blanket receiver, who we know we can count on (unlike most of the others for various reasons), so I was fine keeping Matthews this year even though it was likely going to be his last with the Eagles.

The third really hurts, even worse than Matthews. We already had no second next year. Wonder if Roseman will be looking to trade down from the 1st. I guess we have three 4th rounders... pray that Eric Rowe plays 50% of snaps for the Patriots this year so that pick turns into a third instead of a 4th.

CB is a massive, massive problem though, and we get a guy who was second in rookie of the year voting in 2015. And we get him with two years left on his rookie contract, so he will be here in 2018 as well. Second round pick so no 5th year option. With Jones coming back and maybe some of the young guys improving, maybe we will have CB solved next year similar to the way WR seems solved this year. Getting a legit starting CB on a rookie pay scale is a pretty huge get for our situation and is worth giving up something significant, which we did.

Also, Matthews has definitely been hampered a bit by some sort of injury. It's possible that he will turn out to not be that durable, at least this year, which is the one the Eagles would care about.

Just praying that the seeming WR depth actually comes true in the regular season.

Comment

Working...
                              X