These people really want The Wall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• These people really want The Wall

GoFundMe is refunding $20 million in donations made to 'Trump Wall' campaign
    By: WFLA
    Posted: Jan 11, 2019 08:35 PM EST

Updated: Jan 11, 2019 08:36 PM EST

TAMPA, Fla.(WFLA) - GoFundMe will be giving refunds to thousands of people who raised money to help fund President Donald Trump's long-promised border wall, BuzzFeed's Brianna Sacks reports.

The online fundraising campaign, started by Brian Kolfage, a triple amputee and Purple Heart recipient, raised more than $20 million from 334,860 donations, falling short of its $1 billion goal.

Kolfage initially told supporters all donations would be used to pay for the wall.

"However, that did not happen," GoFundMe spokesman Bobby Whitmore said. "This means all donors will receive a refund."

Kolfage later said the $20 million raised would go toward a non-profit called "We Build the Wall, Inc." to help the government build segments of the wall for lower costs.

A BuzzFeed investigation revealed the Kolfage has a history of "peddling right-wing misinformation on Facebook" and pocketing money intended for other causes.

"The veteran has also spearheaded other crowdfunding ventures over the years, raising thousands of dollars on GoFundMe with the promise of helping mentor fellow vets at military hospitals, but spokespersons for the medical centers said they have no record of Kolfage working at their facilities or donating any money," Sacks wrote in the report.

All donors will get an e-mail from GoFundMe regarding the refund.

"If a donor does not want a refund, they must proactively elect to direct their donation to that organization. If they do not take that step, they will automatically receive a full refund," Whitmore said in an e-mail to Sacks.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Ah, more of the story. That great American vet might not be the great American that he was made out to be.
    Must have been Mexicans doing the donating since Mexico is paying for the wall. Or, we should start speaking Spanish since the only people paying for any wall will be Americans.
    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
    Hope is not a strategy
    RIP

Comment

As a fellow vet I say Kolfage's service absolutely calls for respect. His repeated con man behavior since...not so much. Lot's of enlightening information available on Brian for just a little research effort.

And I think it's a great idea that Trump fans pony up to pay for "The Wall, Barrier, Fence, Free Fire Zone, etc". It's guaranteed to protect them from imminent invasion of the brown hordes along with the mass rape, murder, and beheadings of patriot white people that is certain to follow. After all, Trump never promised Mexico would actually pay for the wall. Well not more than a couple hundred times anyway. And who actually believes anything he says?

Comment

I'm going to start a Go Fund Me page for being an Eagle fan. Or maybe a new bathroom. Now you're talking! Back on topic I wouldn't mind seeing a wall. I don't know why people are so rylled up about one.

Comment

Well 60 you asked. No one in their right mind believes we need a wall from sea to shining sea. Can't really do one everywhere even if you wanted one. But no one in their right mind believes we don't need a wall. At least in lots and lots of new areas and the wall that we do have in places needs to be fixed. Actually lots of money has already been appropriated for that.
          Having been the senior guy responsible for security of nuclear storage areas and nuclear aircraft areas for many years at many different bases I will tell you that fences are speed bumps. You ever hear the saying locks (or fences, or whatever) keep the honest people honest. They don't stop those determined to get through them. Fencing (or walls or barriers or whatever) have to be used in conjunction with lighting, cameras, alarms, and PEOPLE to watch them. You will find just as many border patrol who will tell you that they need a wall as will tell you they need better radios, cell phones, and aircraft instead.
          This issue is very easy. Donald Trump promised his base a wall which he now calls a barrier. Of course it was supposed to be paid for by Mexico which he now says shouldn't have been taken literally. The Senate passed a plan to avoid the shutdown, based on the belief the Trumpster would sign it, but the far siders got to Trump and he backed out. So the gov was partially shutdown. The Dems in the house know they have him by the short hairs so they aren't about to give him something he promised during his campaign. Neither side gives a s*** about people having to work without pay or people who are getting a three week vacation with back pay. Surely government workers will get back pay but those who have bills due tomorrow will be f*****. Bad enough those that are furloughed can take some part time job if there is one somewhere but those who are essential can't even do that because they are working. Contractors surely won't get back pay but many of those might be assigned to different contracts by their employers. Who knows.
          Bottom line, the two parties don't give a s*** about anything other than their greed and their power. Yet people fall in line with their little bobbleheads bobbing up and down and then vote party lines rather than voting for the person
          Hope is not a strategy
          RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
            Well 60 you asked. No one in their right mind believes we need a wall from sea to shining sea. Can't really do one everywhere even if you wanted one. But no one in their right mind believes we don't need a wall. At least in lots and lots of new areas and the wall that we do have in places needs to be fixed. Actually lots of money has already been appropriated for that.
            Having been the senior guy responsible for security of nuclear storage areas and nuclear aircraft areas for many years at many different bases I will tell you that fences are speed bumps. You ever hear the saying locks (or fences, or whatever) keep the honest people honest. They don't stop those determined to get through them. Fencing (or walls or barriers or whatever) have to be used in conjunction with lighting, cameras, alarms, and PEOPLE to watch them. You will find just as many border patrol who will tell you that they need a wall as will tell you they need better radios, cell phones, and aircraft instead.
            This issue is very easy. Donald Trump promised his base a wall which he now calls a barrier. Of course it was supposed to be paid for by Mexico which he now says shouldn't have been taken literally. The Senate passed a plan to avoid the shutdown, based on the belief the Trumpster would sign it, but the far siders got to Trump and he backed out. So the gov was partially shutdown. The Dems in the house know they have him by the short hairs so they aren't about to give him something he promised during his campaign. Neither side gives a s*** about people having to work without pay or people who are getting a three week vacation with back pay. Surely government workers will get back pay but those who have bills due tomorrow will be f*****. Bad enough those that are furloughed can take some part time job if there is one somewhere but those who are essential can't even do that because they are working. Contractors surely won't get back pay but many of those might be assigned to different contracts by their employers. Who knows.
            Bottom line, the two parties don't give a s*** about anything other than their greed and their power. Yet people fall in line with their little bobbleheads bobbing up and down and then vote party lines rather than voting for the person

Well you've got that right ND. So what's the matter with speed bumps until the border cops gets there? They are deterrents, not the solution. At least you can't drive trucks through one. As far as the sea goes, that's why we have a coast guard. There is a door for coming in and out of both countries. Use it. As far as Mexico paying for it anybody in their right mind would know that he was talking about tariffs although there are a lot of people out of their minds voting for him. There are a lot of people out of their mind period.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
              [/B]

"As far as Mexico paying for it anybody in their right mind would know that he was talking about tariffs" .

Popper, Please! Don't!

I'm often not in my right mind but in my periodic lucid moments during the campaign I must have seen/heard Trump promise 50 times that Mexico would pay for the "big, beautiful wall" and never once did I hear him say/hint/suggest/imply that the payment would come via tariffs. So, while I'm marginally coherent, maybe you'll be kind enough to share a link to a video, quote or even an indirect reference from the campaign in which Trump pointed in ANY WAY to tariffs as the source of Mexico's payment.

Border security and illegal/legal immigration are serious, complicated, and emotionally charged issues that call for principled consideration and thoughtful compromise among those responsible for making federal law. I believe there have been genuine efforts in this area on both sides of the isle. And there have also been those in both camps who have 'played' the issues simply for political points.

You'll likely disagree with this but, IMO, "The Wall" for Trump has always been more about red meat for the base than any serious interest in eliminating/significantly reducing illegal immigration. Retired General John Kelly, Trump's ex COS, has said as much

ND has touched on the major complications of topography as they would impact any "wall/barrier" from the Gulf of Mexico to the Pacific Ocean...a distance of 1954 miles. Such a "wall" could exist ONLY in the willfully uninformed and somewhat childish mind of Donald Trump as a monument to his monumental ego.

Do you seriously think Trump has EVER sat down for an extended period of with a team of topographical engineers to explore the feasibility of such a wall ?

Again, I would love to see a link to Trump making ANY reference at all to tariffs as a means of Mexico paying for the wall until AFTER HE WAS ELECTED and after Vincente Fox had told him to "fuck off".

You know, for those of us who weren't smart enough to be able read Trump's mind and know what Trump was really thinking.

Last edited by tinopuno; 01-14-2019, 10:30 PM.

Comment

The real issue is going to come down to McConnell having the balls to call for a vote. Then see if Trump vetoes and then whether the votes are there to override. My guess is that happens and Trump can tell the base that he did all he could. The losers will be the red state Senators that vote to override who are up for election in 2020.
                As a side note, this nonsense of only calling for votes when you know the president will sign is crap. Have some fortitude as an elected official. I hate two parties.
                Hope is not a strategy
                RIP

Comment

I guess that I should know better than to ask because I actually thought that most people think that it's not a bad idea. Oops. I didn't want to start a racus again but you know me, I did. I don't think that you need 1900 miles of walls but I do think that they know where barriers should go because Trump has talked to the border patrol. I would think there are simply areas that couldn't be accessed by illegals.

Tino, of course I didn't hear it because he didn't say it but I think anybody with a brain knew what he was talking about. I also realize there are a lot of braindead people out there who vote too and somehow believed that Mexico was going to say "sure we'll build it". Then again there were idiots who said "now that Obama is President I'm going to have a house and a car and everything! (I really did hear that after he won and they were interviewing people).

Speaking of Mexico, have you ever heard of a WHITE MEXICAN getting caught trying to sneak in the country? Why is the Mexican government fighting so hard to get rid of their colored people? Nobody ever mentions that for some reason. The left calls Trump racist because he wants to have people come in legally while Mexico tries to rid itself of brown people. Just think about that for a minute.

I'll just close this up by saying that it is a deterrent and I think that we should do it. That's all that I was asking. And after I read this I cant' believe how many "I's" that I put in this thing and I'm far too lazy to rewrite it.
                  Last edited by Eagle60; 01-20-2019, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Now for another 8.6 bil I can really give you a nice deal on a wall. Something in nice pastels on one side with an angry brown on the other. Maybe solar imagery. Whatever you want to see in a wall I can give you. And I can probably get you a deal on financing. Yep. You get the 8.6 bil and we can work a deal.

I've said before if this was a sitcom and not our country it would make for great TV.
                    Hope is not a strategy
                    RIP

Comment

Working...
                    X