No announcement yet.

Eagles Trade for Jordan Howard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree EB in that I think he will want to play one more year. Last season I said I would hesitate to count on Peters and Sproles coming into this year. In fact I probably said I wouldn't do it although with Clement and Howard being young guys it might make having Sproles easier to take. I hope Doug & Co don't let their heart get in the way of this decision.
    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
    Hope is not a strategy
    RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglebreath View Post
      I've got a feeling that Sproles will play one more season. We'll see.

That said, I'm kind of torn on having him return. I don't want Jackson returning punts, unless it's a must win kind of game. If they're in that kind of game, and the opportunity is there for him to make an impact, I'd put him back there. But, they need a punt returner other than him. Sproles is a nice player, but he simply cannot stay healthy. By all appearances, the wheels have fallen off, and there's no way they can depend on him.
      Why? Football players play football. I never could understand why bringing back punts is always considered so risky. A pass route across the middle of the field is a heck of a lot more dangerous than returning a punt.
      "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
        Why? Football players play football. I never could understand why bringing back punts is always considered so risky. A pass route across the middle of the field is a heck of a lot more dangerous than returning a punt.
        Perhaps. But, I still don't like the idea of having him exposed. He's also not as young as he used to be.

Comment

They used to say the same thing about Westbrook and that was a mistake too IMO. Coaches X and O 24/7 to find ways to give these gamebreakers space but don't let them return punts? It makes no sense to me. Most of the time it's a fair catch anyway. But if it isn't then it's usually 10 yards or a big play. Punt returns turn games around and that's why he makes $10 million a year.

Comment

My only concern with punt returners is that they don't fumble the ball by taking too many risks trying to catch a ball with guys right on them or doing stupid stuff like fair catching the ball at the one. Oh yea also trying to catch a punt when you have never done so before ala Greg Lewis.
            Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
            Hope is not a strategy
            RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
              But when you catch the pass most of the players are behind you and only a handful are in front. On a return you have blockers working with you but you have the entire opposing team in front of you and that is much more dangerous IMM.
              Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
              Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Originally posted by Jukin View Post
                But when you catch the pass most of the players are behind you and only a handful are in front. On a return you have blockers working with you but you have the entire opposing team in front of you and that is much more dangerous IMM.
                Isn't that also true with the bubble screens?

So we won't put a DJax back to return a punt but then on the next play throw him a screen pass? I agree with E60, it makes so sense. I'd like to see the stats on the number of injuries per touch for punt returners compared to receivers.
                Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

Originally posted by Jukin View Post
                  Juk, have you ever seen a tackler launch himself into a punt returners head when he isn't looking on a punt return??? It's 10 times more dangerous going across the middle and getting lit up while he's tracking the ball. It's not even close. It's wrs that have had their necks broken on plays like that, not punt returners.

John Madden said that those plays were so dangerous that he wouldn't have his wrs run them when he coached. He had his OC take them out of his playbook. He never said that he wouldn't let his guys return punts. Instead he put his HOF db Mike Haynes back there to return them.

Comment

Not saying it's a fact--- but I would wager something on the theory that more injuries probably occur with WR's catching passes (mostly over the middle) then they do on punt returns. Again just my sense of it. I'm sure somebody keeps stats on that kinda crap.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
                      Not saying it's a fact--- but I would wager something on the theory that more injuries probably occur with WR's catching passes (mostly over the middle) then they do on punt returns. Again just my sense of it. I'm sure somebody keeps stats on that kinda crap.
                      Half of the hits that you saw on JACKED UP were wide receivers and they put in rules to protect them and they still get clobbered. I don't remember them doing any needed changes recently to protect the guy running back a punt.

Comment

Originally posted by rspurr View Post
                        Michel had only 3 runs over 20 yards in the regular season and his longest was 33. He only caught 9 passes. He’s not exactly a home run threat. That offensive line had as much to do with his success as anything.
                        I like Michel. He is a good back, not great. Just like Howard.
                        He was a rookie on a team that’s known to spread the ball

Just you wait. Kid is an absolute stud

Comment

Originally posted by dawkins20 View Post
                          He was a rookie on a team that’s known to spread the ball

Just you wait. Kid is an absolute stud
                          He's better than your #1 boy Rosen anyway that you shit on Cleveland for not taking last year in the draft. Zona has been shopping that Cutler clone weirdo around for a month now.

Michel was hurt a lot for the first half of the season so his stats weren't very good last year. As I said earlier he didn't look as quick as a pro as he did in college. I think that that he's going to look better this year too. I still really like Howard though, especially for his blocking. Gotta protect the franchise now that we have one and are out of QB hell!

Comment

Working...
                          X