• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (RIP) Caldwell Jones

one of my favorite effort guys

Former Sixer Caldwell Jones dies at 64

September 22, 2014, 7:45 pm

Caldwell Jones (11), seen here in 1981, made three NBA Finals appearances with the Sixers during his six seasons with the team. (AP)

Caldwell Jones, who was drafted by the Sixers in 1973 and played six seasons with the organization, died on Sunday.
    Jones was 64. He died of a heart attack, his wife told the Oregonian.
    Jones played with the Sixers from 1976-82, leading the organization to three NBA Finals appearances while averaging 7.2 points per game, 9.2 rebounds and 1.9 blocks over those six seasons.
    "We are truly saddened to learn of the passing of a special member of the Sixers family, Caldwell Jones," Sixers CEO Scott O'Neil said in a statement on Monday. "He was a consummate teammate, a friend to many and a player who was beloved and respected throughout the league. Our franchise and fans will always remember the impact and contributions Caldwell made to the city of Philadelphia.
    "On behalf of our entire organization, we extend our deepest condolences to the entire Jones family during this difficult time."
    Jones, a two-time NBA All-Defensive first team selection, was sent to the Rockets in a trade that saw the Sixers acquire Moses Malone before the 1982-83 season, the year they won the NBA Finals.
    In his final season, Jones played for the Spurs and mentored then-rookie David Robinson. In Jones' first professional season (in the ABA), he played for coach Wilt Chamberlain.
    Jones also played for the Bulls and Trail Blazers.

We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Saw this. Too soon!
    You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Working...
    X